EVE Online Developer Seeks Player Help With Lag Issues

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
EVE Online Developer Seeks Player Help With Lag Issues

Do you play EVE Online? Are you sick and tired of lag affecting your fleet battles? Do you have some free time on Saturday? Then CCP wants your help!

virtual crimes crossing over [http://www.amazon.com/Eve-Online-Pc/dp/B001PBUN3M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276625667&sr=1-1] into the real world and the fact that the game is based on a single server have managed to keep it in the public eye.

One of the problems with operating on a single server, though, is that in-game lag is a major issue the developers have to work to overcome. Apparently the lag's been a lot worse since the Dominion expansion launched in January.

CCP Tanis is hard at work to take care of the problem, and they're now asking players to help them get to the bottom of things. It turns out that when too many players gather in one area (like they would, say, for an epic space battle), the lag is particularly noticeable. As a result, CCP is going to be running a <a href=http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=3907&tid=1>testing session this Saturday and is looking for a few good men to help out.

This Saturday, May 29th, the test will take place between the hours of 20:00 and 21:00 EVE time. The test needs at least 300 pilots to show up in the area, but 500 would be more ideal. Information about test itself, as well as how to access its server <a href=http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1267555&page=1>is available on the EVE Online forums.

Source: Massively

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well nice to see the engagement of the player in matters about the game

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Sweet, I'll log in on Saturday.

Was gonna do some lvl 3 mishes, to get my wallet up so I could get a Megathron, but I'll live.

Which reminds me I gotta save up for a PLEX...

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
When I first played EVE, lag was nonexistent, a nice change from Lagforge. Figure it was only a matter of time before ol' Mr. Lag came aknockin'. Hopefully this little exercise gets some good ideas going to kick him right back out.
Jaredin said:
Well nice to see the engagement of the player in matters about the game
That's another nice thing about CCP. They get the players more involved in game development, sometimes without them even realizing it. There's even an elected group of players who make certain policy in the game.
dududf said:
Sweet, I'll log in on Saturday.

Was gonna do some lvl 3 mishes, to get my wallet up so I could get a Megathron, but I'll live.

Which reminds me I gotta save up for a PLEX...
Get rid of lag today, get ur Megathron tomorrow. And I just have to say....your av scares me. Makes me cry.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
ooo yay another one of these, hopefully it'l get good results so they can fix lag just in time for Incarna to screw it up in time for xmas

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
I'll probably jump on and lend my support to this if I'm not busy at the time. I really do like CCP. They're a great developer that actually does seem willing to actively engage with the community and continually work to solve any issues that players do have. Considering the amount of players concurrently playing on a single server too, the lag really isn't that bad.

Robert0288

Jun 10, 2008
if anything else, its a good way to meet other people in eve that you might never get to meet; like living on the otherside of the galaxy, or part of a different alliance you don't normally deal with.

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
I only played EVE for a few weeks, but I really love CCP. Awesome customer support. The game devs love the game as much as anyone. Might get meh the latest expansion and log on this weekend.

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
500?

A more desirable number would be 1,000 with a nice, big brawl, hopefully the fix will resolve this shit:

Femaref

May 4, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
When I first played EVE, lag was nonexistent, a nice change from Lagforge. Figure it was only a matter of time before ol' Mr. Lag came aknockin'. Hopefully this little exercise gets some good ideas going to kick him right back out.
Well the lag isn't present in every playstyle. It happended in 2003 with 50vs50, it happends now with 700vs700 (and rising). Everything except the huge battles works more or less lagfree (mostly without lag). The problem is, even if ccp improves server, players will always push the envelope and complain about lag then. CCP is doing a great job, going from 50vs50 to 700vs700. Large Scale will always lag.

porschecm2

Jun 5, 2009
vansau said:
Are you sick and tired of lag affecting your fleet battles? Do you have some free time on Saturday? Than CCP wants your help!
"Then CCP wants your help!" I think you mean.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Femaref said:
samsonguy920 said:
Well the lag isn't present in every playstyle. It happended in 2003 with 50vs50, it happends now with 700vs700 (and rising). Everything except the huge battles works more or less lagfree (mostly without lag). The problem is, even if ccp improves server, players will always push the envelope and complain about lag then. CCP is doing a great job, going from 50vs50 to 700vs700. Large Scale will always lag.
Yes, lag will always be around as companies continue to push the envelope for bigger better things in a game, and more players come on. And the wags will always complain. But if you compare EVE with other MMO's, the difference in lag is very noticeable and outstanding. Especially taking into account the size of EVE's world and the fact it is run on only ONE server.

Femaref

May 4, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
Femaref said:
samsonguy920 said:
Yes, lag will always be around as companies continue to push the envelope for bigger better things in a game, and more players come on. And the wags will always complain. But if you compare EVE with other MMO's, the difference in lag is very noticeable and outstanding. Especially taking into account the size of EVE's world and the fact it is run on only ONE server.
sry, nop. The lag is noticeable in large scale fights, the driving force increasing fleets in eve are the players, as the go to the maximum possible, otherwise you lose. If you go small scale (3vs10 or 10vs10 etc) there is nearly no lag at all.