EVE Online History Book Kickstarter Raises $95K

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
EVE Online History Book Kickstarter Raises $95K

[kickstarter=sciencegroen/a-history-of-the-great-empires-of-eve-online]

Andrew Groen's A History of the Great Empires of EVE Online has raised more than 765 percent of its original goal.

I don't think I would ever want to play EVE Online. It's not that I can't conceive of having fun with the game, mind you. It's more a matter of my looking at my life and looking at the level of commitment and dedication that the game requires and recognizing the two as being pretty much incompatible. That being the case, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't find EVE and the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131799-EVE-Online-Mega-Battle-Breaks-300-000-In-Real-World-Losses>epic hi-jinks of the people who play it to be among the most fascinating stuff in gaming culture.

It would seem I'm not alone in that respect. That, at least, would be my take away from the results of a recent <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sciencegroen/a-history-of-the-great-empires-of-eve-online>Kickstarter campaign aimed at documenting "the politics, warfare, betrayal and culture" of EVE Online. Reaching its end yesterday, Andrew Groen's A History of the Great Empires of EVE Online raised a whopping $95,729, more than 765 percent of the project's original $12,500 goal.

Reading the campaign's description, it's not hard for me to imagine why it was so successful. Aimed at taking "readers from the very first day the servers switched on" and up to the game's modern era, the concept alone sounds captivating. In fact, it sounds so good that I almost wish I'd discovered it sooner so I could chip a bit in myself. Alas, I'll just have to settle for pre-ordering the book itself.

Source: <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sciencegroen/a-history-of-the-great-empires-of-eve-online>Kickstarter

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
I love EVE. They way he describes it is pretty much the allure of the game. So yea, I think this is a great idea. Eve is the only MMO I can think have the simulates a world as rich as described. This is the reason that I think the game will be with us for a very long time to come.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
I've never played a single session of EVE - in fact, I don't think I've even been present for someone else playing it.

But I do love hearing the stories of craziness that take place within this digital universe, so... yeah, if this does well, I think I'll probably be picking it up.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
StewShearer said:
Alas, I'll just have to settle for pre-ordering the book itself.
I will concede that you may need to pre-order to ensure getting a copy since it will likely only do a limited run, but I still say it's a better idea to wait until it's actually finished. I'd like to think the pre-order situation with video games had at least taught us something.

OT: Assuming this is anything like I imagine it will be, I'll be glad to pick it up and give it a read once it's finished. It'll be like "Boatmurdered," but in space!

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
So....what is the plan for all the extra money? Are you gonna print more copies to sell? Make a new edition every few years?