EVE Online: How Do You Say Gate Camp in French?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
EVE Online: How Do You Say Gate Camp in French?

EVE Online will be adding French to the list of supported languages.

CCP Presents is the final keynote each year at Fanfest and basically caps off the end of the event. Though Fanfest truly ends with the "Party at the Top of the World" so named since Reykjavik is the northernmost capitol in the world. While the keynote usually reiterates and reinforces many of the announcements made previously during the event, CCP still likes to keep a few things up their sleeves for the finale.

Among other things, it was announced that French would be added to the list of supported languages for the game. Currently EVE Online has been localized to English, Russian, German, Japanese and Chinese. The addition of a new language opens up the gates for new players. It even have some potential impact in the grander scale since many alliances form around similar time zones to make it easier to mass fleets together. French flags were abound to celebrate the reveal.

[gallery=2438]

Other announcements included that CCP will continue to work with Dark Horse Comics. Future products will be the EVE Universe: The Art of New Eden artbook, a perfect coffee table book, and a comic series detailing the origins of the first Valkyrie pilot. That character, Rán, will be played by Katee Sackhoff in EVE Valkyrie [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134169-Starbuck-Joins-EVE-Valkyrie]. There are also new models for the Megathron and Nyx in the works.

[gallery=2439]

More new from Fanfest this year. CCP also showed off their vision for a re-imagined Dust 514 on the PC. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134209-EVE-Online-Announces-No-More-Expansions-Moving-to-More-Frequent-Updates]

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Given that one of the 4 factions is descended from the French, it's a genuine surprise it wasn't one of the first languages to be supported, let alone that it took THIS long to come up with.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
Spreadsheet simulation... in French!

Seriously though, why wasn't this sooner? Its weird because in the canon, France is pretty important, and also because it seems like it'd be a bit market of players opening up as well.
while the lore does have frech, for localization i think they went with highest user numbers, and French just didnt turn out to be that much.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Damn Gallente, FotY and now they can fart about in their own despicable tongue. Bleargh.

Long live the State!

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
I've always wanted to listen to Japanese EVE players as they kill their way through enemy fleets though. Something about military lingo in Japanese makes it even more epic than any other language can possibly achieve.

Wookie 1

Apr 3, 2010
I must say this makes less sense now than at previous times, the number of French players in EVE has dropped pretty heavily since TCF shutdown I thought.

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
Strazdas said:
MarsAtlas said:

Seriously though, why wasn't this sooner? Its weird because in the canon, France is pretty important, and also because it seems like it'd be a bit market of players opening up as well.
while the lore does have frech, for localization i think they went with highest user numbers, and French just didnt turn out to be that much.
Maybe they realized that they probably don't have many french players because it is NOT localized.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Qvar said:
Strazdas said:
MarsAtlas said:

Maybe they realized that they probably don't have many french players because it is NOT localized.
there were a lot of russian players before they had russian localization. they did that localization BECAUSE there were many russian players.

IMO localization is kinda stupid. it just segregates people. for example i use the English version of world of tanks. whenever somone tells me what to do form a lithuanian version i got no idea what they mean due to translation problems. now apply that to corporations that have 50 nationalities in them with all having localized client thats complex like eve. it would be a hell to manage.

besides, i was always a proponent of an idea what whole world should know a single language they can communicate with each o ther with. they can have their local languages if they want too because "meh nationalist pride", but there should be one common worldwide language. i dont care if its english, french, chineese (altrough i dont wnat chineese because its complex and i like simplicity in such cases). its just that english currently is the most popular language in the world.

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
Strazdas said:
there were a lot of russian players before they had russian localization. they did that localization BECAUSE there were many russian players.
That's why I used the word 'realize'. But yes, in fact I use the english client even in games that have one in my language (spanish), as I assume you do too.