Eve Online Panel Encourages Harassing Suicidal Player

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I'd say the way this forum turned out once EVE players started trying to defend it and their overall tone towards others is all the proof i need to condemn their community as "filled with tosspots".

See that as the unfair generalization that it is, but i believe that any community whose most vocal members are unpleasant jerks is one i have no desire to interact with.

As for the actual story i'm glad to see an official apology went out, but personally i think anyone who assumes the role of a "supervillain" or whatever in an online games has some unresolved issues. Then again it could just be the nature of EVE as a game in that in encourages people to be cunts to eachother (from what i've seen anyways)

Taawus

Oct 21, 2008
Blame Mittani, not panel.

And I have also flewn with the guy they were referencing to.

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
The panel member responsible for these remarks should face some legal consequenses IMO. Nothing severe just some good ole fashioned positive punishment, spend a week cleaning garbage off the highway or something. People this stupid do not have the mental capacity to understand where they went wrong, the only thing that made him apologize was social pressure. Such reckless disregard for the well being of another person shouldn't be shrugged off as just a joke.

Better yet, some sort of hacker group should trash the fuck out of his precious precious EVE account.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
I think in the same manner that he posted that player's info, they should post that guy's real-world info so that people can show up on his doorstep and harass him 24/7.

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
"The presenter went on to encourage other players of Eve Online to harass this player in the hope that he would eventually be compelled to act on his suicidal thoughts. This player's in-game contact information was provided. I found this section of the presentation to be in extremely poor taste."

Heh, poor taste eh? I'd say that it's worse than "poor taste". These are some of the worse people on the planet. Most people that make fun of suicidal kids, probably don't know they're suicidal, like, for instance, some kid at your school that gets picked on a lot. They probably don't know he's contemplating suicide, so when he does, most of the time, it isn't intentional. These people, they KNEW he was contemplating suicide, they were flat-out told he showed severe depression and suicidal thoughts, and they tell everyone else to start harassing him? This...this is horrible. People say that things like gamers whining or feeling entitled and other bullshit is what makes people look down upon gaming. I say, it's shit like this, which, as far as I know, doesn't really happen much anywhere else.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
Pardon me if I get all personal for a minute, but as someone who has struggled with MDD and suicidal attempts in the past, this absolutely disgusts me.

Really, how low can you go? (Please don't test the limbo, guys.)

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
OhJohnNo said:
jurnag12 said:
Well, I see one CSM member who isn't getting re-elected any time soon.

Sylveria said:
Sounds like something the Eve player-base would do. The game is built for people who have only the minimal human functions and social-skills. They likely see the death of another player simply as one less person they have to compete with in the game.
There's plenty of friendly, social people on EVE. The fact that only the big heists, frauds, schemes and wars reach any sort of news doesn't mean that everyone's like that.
The obvious difference is that "heists, frauds, schemes and wars" are awesome to read about. This just proves that some humans... are not actually humans.
Unfortunately, the best way I can put it is that all humans are humans, but not all humans are human.
See that's a bit awkward to say isn't it.

captcha: face the music

Oh, but I hate this song.

kyp275

Mar 27, 2012
Grey Day for Elcia said:
I don't know if this is true, but I feel the need to share my gut reaction before doing more research--such is the human condition for anger...
bad idea, since it'd just make you look stupid.

Manslaughter charge for the individual who urged others to harass the player.
yes, manslaughter charge when nobody actually died, what's next, murder charges for writers who kill off their characters in their book?

Public apology to the family.
I'm sure the 47 yr old man is just fine, read above.

Pay all expenses that resulted from this tragedy.
which is zero, since nothing other than internet spaceships happened, but he actually did send a healthy sum of internet spaceship money to the guy as part of his apology.

Jail time.
yea, for the non-crime that was not committed, awesome idea.

I hope everyone involved feels this weight for the rest of their lives.
I hope you feel stupid for making this post for the rest of your live :rolleyes:

If you as a human being feel it appropriate to make another's life so uncomfortable or distressing that they seek a permanent escape--what's more, if you laugh about it and generally enjoy the thought of and eventual follow through--you need to sit down and think long and hard about your existence.
The guy made ONE tasteless joke that cross the line while drunk at a panel designed for drunken stupor, no actual harm was done as nobody actually did anything, the "target" was not suicidal and never even knew what was going on until this blew up in the media and people told him, apology were sent and accepted, now get over yourself.

[HEADING=1]Never treat suicide like a joke.
personally that's what I'd do as well, but...

Treat every threat as serious.
ROFL, if people treat every threat they get online as serious, eve online or not, police departments around the world would have to establish their own online-threat division just to deal with the spam of them, get real.

EDIT: okay, calm now, lol. Looks like the player is okay and is actually still playing the game and doing alright.

I feel less sick.

PHEW!
no kidding

kyp275

Mar 27, 2012
Ulquiorra4sama said:
I'd say the way this forum turned out once EVE players started trying to defend it and their overall tone towards others is all the proof i need to condemn their community as "filled with tosspots".
I'd say the way this thread turned out after uninformed moral police started tossing out uninformed conclusions trying to condemn all of eve's community on the drunken word of one player and their overall tone towards others who don't agree with their opinion is all the proof I need to condemn this community as "filled with tosspots".

yea, I can do that too.

See that as the unfair generalization that it is, but i believe that any community whose most vocal members are unpleasant jerks is one i have no desire to interact with.
you may want to quit the internet right now.

As for the actual story i'm glad to see an official apology went out, but personally i think anyone who assumes the role of a "supervillain" or whatever in an online games has some unresolved issues. Then again it could just be the nature of EVE as a game in that in encourages people to be cunts to eachother (from what i've seen anyways)
yes Mr. internet psychologist. And of course, everyone who likes to play a sandbox spaceship mmo must have issues just because you don't understand anything about the game outside of rumours and stereotypes!

kyp275

Mar 27, 2012
sabercrusader said:
Heh, poor taste eh? I'd say that it's worse than "poor taste". These are some of the worse people on the planet. Most people that make fun of suicidal kids, probably don't know they're suicidal, like, for instance, some kid at your school that gets picked on a lot. They probably don't know he's contemplating suicide, so when he does, most of the time, it isn't intentional. These people, they KNEW he was contemplating suicide, they were flat-out told he showed severe depression and suicidal thoughts, and they tell everyone else to start harassing him? This...this is horrible. People say that things like gamers whining or feeling entitled and other bullshit is what makes people look down upon gaming. I say, it's shit like this, which, as far as I know, doesn't really happen much anywhere else.
yes, one drunken comment makes a person "some of the worse people on the planet". I HAVE seen some of the worst people on the planet, they kill and rape women and children, I suggest you head to the middle east and africa to see them, otherwise, try to lay off on the hyperbole.

Let's put this in context, guy was running 22 accounts mining ice, literally one of the most boring activity in any game ever, gets blown up by the goons during their ice interdiction, then sends a mail to the guy who blew him up to try to garner sympathy to prevent further actions against him or to recoup some losses. The goon then posted the mail he received to his alliance's forum, and then eventually was used during the presentation by his alliance leader half a year later, the joke was made at the end of the session, and nobody did anything other than laugh and forget about it.

the guy was NOT suicidal, these kind of sympathy/hate mail from people after they get blown up are literally dime a dozen in eve, add in the 22 ice mining accounts, which squarely puts him into the botter/rmt category, and anything that comes out of his mouth becomes even less credible. While mittani still should not have said what he did, especially at a venue broadcast live over the net, the chance of anyone actually taking the sympathy mail as serious is about as high as you'd believe that homeless guy who came up to you and trying to convince you he's the Prince of Nigeria and if you give him $10,000 he'll give you $10 million back.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Daemonfae said:
Sacman said:
And I'm reminded why the EVE fanbase is the scum of the internet... They're even worse than Lol and DotA... almost as bad as Xbox Live and that Japanese site that talked that guy into hanging himself on a live webcam...>.<
And here you are, posting on a well respected forum where one of YOUR members said "please stop living" to the guy who told another guy to kill himself.
Well, yeah. He's a dick trying to get his other dick buddies to harass a guy with thoughts of suicide. He should please (notice the word 'please', he asked kindly) make an effort to cease living.

Because ya know, what an asshole. And yes I did watch the video. I'm really fucking curious as to why you think that the video somehow makes it better. It just shows how much detail he went into to make fun off this random guy.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
kyp275 said:
the guy was NOT suicidal, these kind of sympathy/hate mail from people after they get blown up are literally dime a dozen in eve, add in the 22 ice mining accounts, which squarely puts him into the botter/rmt category, and anything that comes out of his mouth becomes even less credible. While mittani still should not have said what he did, especially at a venue broadcast live over the net, the chance of anyone actually taking the sympathy mail as serious is about as high as you'd believe that homeless guy who came up to you and trying to convince you he's the Prince of Nigeria and if you give him $10,000 he'll give you $10 million back.
Actually it would be more like the homeless guy making claim that picking up and selling the bottles was calming to him after the goons or member of the goons smashed the person's stuff. Six months later the leader of the goons posted the message in a public event. Then during the Q/A the leader of the Goons call out everyone to harass the homeless person so he would eventually commit suicide.

crhoades

Jul 2, 2010
I second that. its just really depressing to think that no one thought hey this isn't right and disagree.

kyp275

Mar 27, 2012
Akisa said:
Actually it would be more like the homeless guy making claim that picking up and selling the bottles was calming to him after the goons or member of the goons smashed the person's stuff. Six months later the leader of the goons posted the message in a public event. Then during the Q/A the leader of the Goons call out everyone to harass the homeless person so he would eventually commit suicide.
sure, I guess I better call the police next time some CoD guy says stuff like "omg noob you sux00rs go die in a fire!!!"

after all, he could be potentially be an arsonist who might try to set my house on fire amirite?

I'm trying to point on how the original mail is likely to be viewed within the context of normal eve gameplay, yours on the other hand has little bearing on the situation. Painting "smashing his stuff" in a negative light makes about as much sense as saying people shouldn't shoot each other in a FPS game.

There's nothing wrong with ridiculing hate/whine mail, the only part where mittani crossed the line was when he called on others to harass the player, which nobody did as anyone with a half a braincell realize it's a joke (and no, going to blow up said player's ship does not count as harassment, no matter how much you guys want to think it is).

Jokull Reynisson

Sep 4, 2011
video, starting at (1:01:43): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Ki91U-mBE.

Mitani's apology: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=86980.

PLEASE stop making assumptions. There was no tragedy other than CCP's tarnished image, and the mocking statements. The man in question is just fine.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
kyp275 said:
spaaaaace
Not too sure why you quoted me.

Hope you enjoyed the time you spent?

Cid SilverWing said:
What the actual fuck?

Seriously. What the actual fuck?
Your comment made me laugh, because I read it imagining your avatar was saying it, lol.

On a side note: Woah boy, there are a lot of new accounts here arguing in support of the EVE asshole that acted like an utter shite of a human being -- strike that -- I meant to say the massive **** that made a dick of themselves and acted like an utter shite of a human being.

I dunno if having that sort of rabid playerbase is a good or bad thing... Either way, I'm so very glad I decided not to give EVE a go a few days ago, lol.