Eve Online Panel Encourages Harassing Suicidal Player

Akisa

New member
Jan 7, 2010
493
0
0
Moromillas said:
Why on earth are players defending this? Ok, so the guy made an apology and threw him some virtual peanuts. So? How the, FUCK, can that be used as justification. Kinda something you can't downplay, or call it anything less than abhorrent, it really shouldn't be happening in the first place.
You know what's funny, I don't believe his apology was sincere.

http://soundcloud.com/cptunderpants/state-of-the-goonion-march#play

Mitanni has responded by saying he was throwing by him under the buss, and nailed to the cross.
 

BaronIveagh

New member
Apr 26, 2011
343
0
0
Akisa said:
You know what's funny, I don't believe his apology was sincere.

http://soundcloud.com/cptunderpants/state-of-the-goonion-march#play

Mitanni has responded by saying he was throwing by him under the buss, and nailed to the cross.
As an eve player: Welcome to Eve: The Game Where Behavior The Gets You Banned Anywhere Else is 'Fair Play'.

I've played since beta and the general behavior of the players has been sliding ever since. 'Well, It's a sandbox' is CCPs usual response to player behavior issues. Of course, mind you, it's not hard to see the logic: Most successful alliances harass their opponents (both in EvE and out of it) until they give up and either leave game or go someplace else. The idea that it would be OK to harass someone until they kill themselves is a logical outgrowth of that in the minds of the sort of scum that run alliances these days.

Unfortunately, if someone were to kill themselves over harassment in eve, it would open CCP and the offending persons to legal action, regardless of the EULA.
 

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
2,645
0
0
Callate said:
FelixG said:
The really funny thing is that the whole ordeal is making The Wiz (the guy that wrote that letter) really happy!

Not because you wanna be reactionary moral people are blowing this out of proportion, but because in game he has been making friends, and that he was actually part of a key note at EVE Fanfest.

He reported that he wished he could have been there in person for it.
That's great, if true. Are we to believe it would have occurred without all this scrutiny on the matter?

smallharmlesskitten said:
Hi Kids.

It's been blown out of proportion. You're all bandwagoning worse than the muppets on the official forums. He's apologised.
That's great, if true. Are we to believe it would have occurred without all this scrutiny on the matter?

Maybe he was a drama-seeker. Maybe he was "abusing" a system where people brag and cheer scams and thefts and online muggings costing months of work and virtual goods worth thousands of dollars.

What isn't in question- despite a few delightful attempts to make it otherwise- is that the person who this attention has been focused upon encouraged a broad audience to bully a specific player until his life was unlivable. Said player may or may not have been dangerously depressed, but that's not the kind of diagnosis you leave up to the psychological expertise of random Eve Online players. Least of all the kind who are happy to make a flippant assumption if it allows them to continue on their merry way or encourages them to spite someone who has rubbed them the wrong way anyway.

If the gun was unloaded- especially if you didn't know if it was- do you think the person who you pointed it at and pulled the trigger should be ready to laugh it off as a joke with you?

You can sneer about "self-righteousness" or call people "muppets" or accuse them of jumping on the bandwagon all you want. In light of the reality, it says far more about the name-callers than it does about those who are angry. I won't say I approve of some members' blanket condemnation of Eve Online or its players, but I haven't exactly seen a lot of the people on the other side of the issue making a good case for those players' understanding and compassion if they're setting themselves up as examples.

If there's something I'm "failing to understand" as an "outsider" about encouraging others to hector someone to the point of suicide, praise all the powers that be that I'm an outsider, and I'll take the scorn that comes with it with grateful thanks.
Hi Callate. You seem to be quite mad and throw around quote marks all you want to make yourself more of an intellectual-type.

You're missing the part that this is Eve-Online, a game that hates you, and 10,000 voters were just disenfranchised by Kneejerk reactions caused by people such as yourself. He's apologised personally to the Miner (Who incidentally wasn't suicidal in any way). He's made two public statements to the fact he's deeply upset at what he did. But no. lets keep pushing to have Goons punished and take the moral high ground over a video game where worse is said in Jita Local every fucking day.

Did you know that Mittens and his wife recieve death threats and CCP does nothing about that? Actual death threats via Mail and E-mail. CCP Does fuck all. Double Standards are great.
 

planet.tyler

New member
Mar 1, 2012
24
0
0
RaikuFA said:

Seriously, I don't. With the death threats and demanding refunds on charaties over ME3. Harrasment over not being computer savvy or new at a game genre and now this?

This industry is getting sickening...
take me too!!
 

Akisa

New member
Jan 7, 2010
493
0
0
smallharmlesskitten said:
Callate said:
FelixG said:
The really funny thing is that the whole ordeal is making The Wiz (the guy that wrote that letter) really happy!

Not because you wanna be reactionary moral people are blowing this out of proportion, but because in game he has been making friends, and that he was actually part of a key note at EVE Fanfest.

He reported that he wished he could have been there in person for it.
That's great, if true. Are we to believe it would have occurred without all this scrutiny on the matter?

smallharmlesskitten said:
Hi Kids.

It's been blown out of proportion. You're all bandwagoning worse than the muppets on the official forums. He's apologised.
That's great, if true. Are we to believe it would have occurred without all this scrutiny on the matter?

Maybe he was a drama-seeker. Maybe he was "abusing" a system where people brag and cheer scams and thefts and online muggings costing months of work and virtual goods worth thousands of dollars.

What isn't in question- despite a few delightful attempts to make it otherwise- is that the person who this attention has been focused upon encouraged a broad audience to bully a specific player until his life was unlivable. Said player may or may not have been dangerously depressed, but that's not the kind of diagnosis you leave up to the psychological expertise of random Eve Online players. Least of all the kind who are happy to make a flippant assumption if it allows them to continue on their merry way or encourages them to spite someone who has rubbed them the wrong way anyway.

If the gun was unloaded- especially if you didn't know if it was- do you think the person who you pointed it at and pulled the trigger should be ready to laugh it off as a joke with you?

You can sneer about "self-righteousness" or call people "muppets" or accuse them of jumping on the bandwagon all you want. In light of the reality, it says far more about the name-callers than it does about those who are angry. I won't say I approve of some members' blanket condemnation of Eve Online or its players, but I haven't exactly seen a lot of the people on the other side of the issue making a good case for those players' understanding and compassion if they're setting themselves up as examples.

If there's something I'm "failing to understand" as an "outsider" about encouraging others to hector someone to the point of suicide, praise all the powers that be that I'm an outsider, and I'll take the scorn that comes with it with grateful thanks.
Hi Callate. You seem to be quite mad and throw around quote marks all you want to make yourself more of an intellectual-type.

You're missing the part that this is Eve-Online, a game that hates you, and 10,000 voters were just disenfranchised by Kneejerk reactions caused by people such as yourself. He's apologised personally to the Miner (Who incidentally wasn't suicidal in any way). He's made two public statements to the fact he's deeply upset at what he did. But no. lets keep pushing to have Goons punished and take the moral high ground over a video game where worse is said in Jita Local every fucking day.

Did you know that Mittens and his wife recieve death threats and CCP does nothing about that? Actual death threats via Mail and E-mail. CCP Does fuck all. Double Standards are great.
You mean the 2500~ yes-men with the alternate accounts?
 

deadish

New member
Dec 4, 2011
694
0
0
RaikuFA said:

Seriously, I don't. With the death threats and demanding refunds on charaties over ME3. Harrasment over not being computer savvy or new at a game genre and now this?

This industry is getting sickening...
What the hell happened man? When did gaming become like this?

Can't people just simply enjoy stuff anymore?

Now it's ***** ***** ***** about this and that or ethically-challenged morons doing asinine shit.
 

Nyaliva

euclideanInsomniac
Sep 9, 2010
317
0
0
Okay, this story genuinely surprised me in too many ways, however upon reading other posts in this thread I see that we have barely seen the title of this book and jumped to a number of conclusions on how it ends.

First: Anyone who doesn't play EVE, including myself, should no longer take any notice of this thread. Apparently, while the remark was in extremely poor taste (and that IS all it was), it was in no way meant to be taken seriously and, for all we know, wasn't. The e-mail was sent six months prior to the event and was a type which is sent all the time, not to warn of suicide (which makes no logical sense as 99% of people would automatically say O RLY? :trollface: ) but was a simple yet oft overused tactic to garner sympathy and prevent further damage to their in-game wares. The person who made the comment at the event was simply bringing it to light and mocking the tactic for it's...well lack of tactical use, albeit in a severely poor manner.

Second: I've heard a few people say the guy who made the comment was drunk. While this does explain how he thought his remark would be funny, however it doesn't say much for the types of people who speak for EVE, without generalisation it simply moves the "why" from the comment to the drunkenness and the acceptance of this man being on the board and speaking.

Third: I've heard some really stupid things in this thread from both sides, most of which boil down to "I don't want to live on this planet anymore". I simply have to say grow up. You don't sound peious you just sound pretentious and frankly you're asking for a whooping from the other side who will take your comment and beat you with it until everyone sees you as nothing but a pretentious fool who wants people to think he's wise. Remember, most news stories like this are over-dramatised (because real life is boring) so if you provide an over-dramatic response to it anyone with any knowledge of the event will take you as nothing but a drama queen. Without sounding too pretentious, this article shows why I don't play online MMOs and this thread has shown why I no longer speak with emotion on these forums. One makes you seem like a prick and the other makes you seem like an ass.

Enjoy your day! ;)

EDIT: Okay I found the actual video of the event and I'm having a hard time finding where the harassment is. Sure they post the guys e-mail and make fun of it but there was nothing there to which I actually said "Hey that's not cool". I didn't even hear the bit where he said to go and harrass the guy and he had stuff either side of it which made fun of other players and while they weren't named, I doubt the crowd would have even remembered to harrass the suicidal guy, who, by the way didn't sound so terribly suicidal. Depressed, yes but not much more than about a billion other people who would be playing EVE or any other MMO. This is why I don't read newspapers.
 

Kizi

New member
Apr 29, 2011
276
0
0
If there are any aliens reading this, I'd like to apologise on behalf of my species.
I often wonder how some people can even function normally in society. Fucking hell.