Eve Online Panel Encourages Harassing Suicidal Player

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
jurnag12 said:
Well, I see one CSM member who isn't getting re-elected any time soon.

Sylveria said:
Sounds like something the Eve player-base would do. The game is built for people who have only the minimal human functions and social-skills. They likely see the death of another player simply as one less person they have to compete with in the game.
There's plenty of friendly, social people on EVE. The fact that only the big heists, frauds, schemes and wars reach any sort of news doesn't mean that everyone's like that.
The obvious difference is that "heists, frauds, schemes and wars" are awesome to read about. This just proves that some humans... are not actually humans.
I agree, but it still isn't fair to stereotype an entire community because a few people did this.
That's like saying all Runescape players are violent psychopaths because a few once beat someone else up for his in-game stuff.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Disgusitng. This just makes me sick. You know we hear stories sometimes about online gamers helping others through their probeleams and saving their lives and then we hear about this disgusting shit. It makes me sick to think that I share a great fun hobby with people like that. Yes I know not everyone out there is perfect and I'll admit I've made my mistakes and insulted people in the past but I have never, ever told people to push someone to kill themselves. urgh. The actions of some people sicken me often.

Sep 24, 2008
Kasurami said:
Hey, everyone who attended that panel and joined in on this?

You are all sick, sick bastards who should be hugely ashamed of yourselves.

Those who presented this shit?

You're not even close to human. Please stop living.
Not flaming in anyway, I'm just curious; Was that sarcasm?

Briney-

Jul 13, 2011
Wow. It's hard to imagine that someone thought this was acceptable. I hope that those responsible for this nonsense are thoroughly reprimanded and never allowed to speak in public again.

I sincerely hope the company reaches out to the individual in question and apologizes for this entire fiasco. Additionally, if the individual is still suffering from the effects of depression, they should offer to pay for treatment.

Zachery Gaskins

Mar 29, 2011
Meanwhile, somewhere Aris Bahktanians defends these pieces of human garbage by insisting that EVE Online would just be Freelancer/Elite if it weren't for the "trash talk".

We're finding out what happens when an entire generation grows up on the Internet while their parents remain uninformed.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
I'm pretty sure unfiltered means you can say shit and piss, not "direct internet to convince people of suicide like 4chan".

Sourman

Mar 25, 2012
I played EVE a couple of years ago, and like Tastum said, they're mostly good folks. This, however, is beyond decency.
I think the mentality of the people who did this is along the lines of "It's the Internet, it's not important". But then again, these are the same people who paid good money to attend a convention about their favorite game. The contradiction baffles me.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
jurnag12 said:
OhJohnNo said:
jurnag12 said:

Sylveria said:
Sounds like something the Eve player-base would do. The game is built for people who have only the minimal human functions and social-skills. They likely see the death of another player simply as one less person they have to compete with in the game.
There's plenty of friendly, social people on EVE. The fact that only the big heists, frauds, schemes and wars reach any sort of news doesn't mean that everyone's like that.
The obvious difference is that "heists, frauds, schemes and wars" are awesome to read about. This just proves that some humans... are not actually humans.
I agree, but it still isn't fair to stereotype an entire community because a few people did this.
That's like saying all Runescape players are violent psychopaths because a few once beat someone else up for his in-game stuff.
I never intended to imply any sterotyping - I did say some humans. The truth about most demographics is that the majority of people in them are perfectly nice people.

Noceur

Mar 26, 2012
Nice source you got there, care to actually look it up next time? Failure journalism.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
This isn't about EVE, this is about the internet. This is what happens when internet attitudes leak into real life.

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
Kasurami said:
Hey, everyone who attended that panel and joined in on this?

You are all sick, sick bastards who should be hugely ashamed of yourselves.

Those who presented this shit?

You're not even close to human. Please stop living.
Oh...the irony...

Noceur

Mar 26, 2012
keddren said:
Haha, none of you neckbeards have even watched the presentation.
Haha did you really expect them to? It's funny how all those people are complaining about this being incorrect and evil when they haven't even watched the video. ))

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
jurnag12 said:
OhJohnNo said:
jurnag12 said:

Sylveria said:
I never intended to imply any sterotyping - I did say some humans. The truth about most demographics is that the majority of people in them are perfectly nice people.
I think there's a slight miscommunication here. I wasn't saying that you were stereotyping them, I was agreeing with your comment while still pointing out that Sylveria was doing said stereotyping.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
totally heterosexual said:
PC GAMERS

THE MATURE SIDE OF GAMING
I've said it a million times,
PC gaming may be the "Master Race" but that gives them no excuse to act like this or make threats to someone who wants to build a computer.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
jurnag12 said:
OhJohnNo said:
jurnag12 said:
OhJohnNo said:
jurnag12 said:

Sylveria said:
I think there's a slight miscommunication here. I wasn't saying that you were stereotyping them, I was agreeing with your comment while still pointing out that Sylveria was doing said stereotyping.
S'all good, no worries.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Relax a bit. Truthfully I suspect CCP is out of line here.

My immediate thoughts are that the player expressing the sucidal thoughts was being a drama queen and annoying people, perhaps even trying to use those tendencies as a way of begging ISK /ships/etc... off of people. There are a few people who play the whole "emo" card for this reason in every MMO and some become quite infamous on their servers, with one server I'm guessing this guy became famous enough to get the attention of the (un)official reps.

To really fairly judge this we'd have to see the content of the letter, and know more about the player in question and what communications he/she has had to get attention on this level to look for a pattern.

In other words the basic intent here is to shut someone up who is looking to get attention, basically telling them after weeks, months, years or however long it's been to either hurry up and kill themselves or shut up about it and stop spamming or begging for in-game resources as a cheer up, or whatever the frak is going on.

Sorry if this sounds cold, but I've seen similar things in MMOs, and not everyone who sounds suicidal actually is, and anyone who plays that game, especially in the long term to become infamous at it, is going to have picked up the right "signs" to drop into the message.

Claiming to be suicidal or "fragile" in some way is not a get out of jail free card for any behavior, and that's what it's sometimes used as, ditto for inspiring sympathy and begging (which is a big deal in EVE Online).

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions, and honestly I think CCP should have investigated the matter more before commenting. CSM council members exist to do things in the community that CCP generally can't, including helping to observe and "regulate" player behavior and trends therein. Deciding to effectively cut the attention being given to an infamous game-wide drama magnet is actually the kind of reason it exists (whether you believe it should exist or not).

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
This news story doesn't come as a surprise to me, having played EVE for about 3 and a half years myself. Overall attitude towards people who rage in EVE is "qq more, it's just a game, deal with it or stop playing. [Enter more smacktalk, abuse etc here]" And that's sort of what I think about this situation. If a game is making him feel suicidal in the first place then why bother playing?

Not saying that publically promoting harassing him is right, it certainly isn't, but if this guy is feeling suicidal then EVE is not the game for him. The main selling points for EVE are how hostile the community, and in turn you, can be and how much freedom there is to be a complete dick towards everybody else. Signing up for EVE is pretty much saying "I want to be a dick to people, and I accept that the cost of this is that people will be a dick to me in return." I just can't feel as bad as I probably should about this story just because it is EVE Online.

Reveras

Nov 9, 2009
Sorry if it seems like I'm biased or anything but in all my years in WoW (since Vanilla start) I have NEVER seen such horrible human beings online. That fanbase has always helped people with such problems even to the extent of going to the houses of some of them to talk to said people.