EVE Online Player Monument Unveiled Today

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
EVE Online Player Monument Unveiled Today

CCP has unveiled its planned monument aimed at immortalizing the EVE fanbase.

You may recall back in February when EVE Online developer CCP <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132024-EVE-Online-Devs-Announce-Real-World-Monument-to-Honor-Players>announced plans to erect a monument dedicated to the thousands of players who have helped to make the game the wholly unique beast that it is today. Well, as planned, the monument was unveiled today and as expected, it looks pretty danged spiffy.

Located in downtown Reykjavik, the monument was designed by sculptor Sigurour Guomundsson and features a base engraved with the name of every single active EVE Online subscriber who joined the game prior to March 1st. It also includes the names of players who have died in real life since the game's launch. We'd make the effort of describing exactly how many names that is, it might be more useful to just show you. Thankfully, an enterprising Redditor by the name of Thorshamar has already visited the monument and taken <a href=http://imgur.com/a/bIBDX>some snapshots that do the job far better than words ever could.

[gallery=2421]

The unveiling of the EVE monument was, of course, intentionally timed to coincide with the beginning of 2014's <a href=http://fanfest.eveonline.com/en/default>EVE Fanfest which begins May 1st and runs until Saturday, May 3rd. With thousands of the game's players flowing into the Reykjavik, we can only imagine the monument will be a source of attention as fans flock to spot their names among the multitudes included on the sculpture. We only hope, of course, that all these players competing to find themselves on the sculpture doesn't devolve into violence. We normally wouldn't worry but it wouldn't be the first time a gathering of opposed EVE players had ended in <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131799-EVE-Online-Mega-Battle-Breaks-300-000-In-Real-World-Losses>mass destruction.

Update: Images from the unveiling

[gallery=2423]

Source: Reddit

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Damn. Now that's one hell of a way for a game company to pay tribute to its players.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Well paint me purple, and call me barney. A company that thinks of their customers as more than cattle and actually wants to show it. Somewhere a EA board member is offended and he doesn't know why.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
This is fucking awesome!!! An in-game event so big that it managed to gain a REAL LIFE monument! I wonder what people will think thousands of years in the future of it? Maybe there will be more to come?

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
Somebody, somewhere stated that the wide-spread creaking noise you heard all over the world after B-R5RB was the sound of countless neckbeards hanging themselves in basements, after all the Titan losses.

As an outsider-yet-still-geek, this entire event was absolutely fascinating to watch.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
AdmiralCheez said:
If anyone has a character they think is on there, there's a link here to look it up.
Wewt! I made it! Hey, it even highlights your name on on the picture that it shows where you're at! Thing, that sentence didn't make much sense...

"Character name 'Jace Arveduin' was found on plate row 2 and column 21. Line number is 28."

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
That's so cool, I'm on a monument! You know what, CCP is a pretty cool company.

Morsomk_v1legacy

RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA
Jan 30, 2013
StewShearer said:
Located in downtown Reykjavik, the monument was designed by sculptor Sigurour Guomundsson
Pretty damn sure that the name of the sculptor is Sigurður Guðmundsson, because that is just......whoa. I don't even wanna try to pronounce that.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Aww, looks like my one-month experience wasn't enough to justify a mention. However, I looked up my old corp leader and found his name. This is pretty awesome.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
Is it possible to be jealous of oneself? Because I'm kind of jealous that my Battlecruiser pilot is getting a monument and I get nothin.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
AdmiralCheez said:
If anyone has a character they think is on there, there's a link here to look it up.
"Character name 'Strazdas Unstoppable' was found on plate row 9 and column 12. Line number is 21."
Thank you. Looks like i made it. Didnt expect that.

Now the monument turned out better than they planned and i even made it on it, this looks like a more successful effort than i believe its goign to be. and now i am immortalized thanks to eve. A truly good way to start a weekend!