EVE Online: Rubicon Brings Power to the People

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EVE Online: Rubicon Brings Power to the People

EVE Online: Rubicon, the 20th free expansion to CCP's long-running sci-fi MMO, promises big changes in November.

Ten years will soon add up to 20 free expansions for EVE Online, CCP's deliciously vicious MMO in space, and Rubicon sounds like a big one. The coming expansion "represents the defining moment when the scales of intergalactic power will shift irrevocably to players, the immortal capsuleers," CCP said in a press release.

Like most things EVE-related, it's a statement that probably only really makes sense to people who actually play the game, but CCP claims that it will allow players to wage guerrilla-style war against their opponents from deep inside enemy lines. "Focused on individual and small fleet activity, new quick-strike options offer a powerful war tactic and a fresh style of victory in EVE's 'sandbox' universe," it said. The update will also add new exploration content and a new line of faction ships, and will see the Marauder, Electronic Attack Frigate, Interceptor and Interdictor hulls "re-engineered" for balance.

"With Rubicon we are beginning an ambitious journey for the next several expansions of EVE that will end up with players taking control of the most potent technologies in the universe and controlling space on an unprecedented scale," Senior Producer Andie Nordgren said. "Their insatiable desire for impact and adventure fuels both this vision and our passion for making the largest science fiction game universe."

EVE Online: Rubicon goes live on November 19. If details are your thing, you may collect them up at evenonline.com/rubicon [http://www.eveonline.com/rubicon/].

yellost

Nov 7, 2011
I'm sorry but this is unacceptable.
They can't release that kind of announcement without their usual kick-ass space trailer to go with it.
I refuse to acknowledge anything they say unless it comes with one.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
Very minimal information about the length of any changes or rebalancing.

Still, the new SOE ships are pretty awesome looking.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Mcoffey said:
Can it shave like, five hours, off the tutorial stuff? Cause that'd be just dandy. My trial ran out before I could even really get started. I might go back to it if there's a big subscription sale on steam sometime, cause what little I saw I liked, but I'd really like to feel like I'm doing something with my time.
Erm what? the 6 tutorial agents takes around 3-4 hours to complete everything. the basic tutorial is minutes. and you dont evne have to do that if you dont want to.
if you went into sisters story ark, well, thats main storyline already.

Overquoted said:
Ooh, no mention of Dust 514. That can't be good.
What makes you think that?

ALso a list of changes has been composed by another person, that gives you a better look on whats coming:
Altaier Knight said:
[size=15pt]New POS[/size]
* 4 new Player Owned Structures built on entirely new code (no legacy issues)
* Even in high-sec CONCORD won't care if you shoot them you will only get a suspect timer
* Siphon - Can be anchored a long way away, but still on grid, from an enemy POS and will slowly steal the items stored within from it. These items are stored in the siphon and can be picked up by anyone without getting a suspect timer. This thing is cool, while I probably will never use one I love the concept. POS owners had best keep an eye on their possessions. :)
* Depot - A mobile home that can seemingly be anchored anywhere. Offers some storage, ship refitting and the ability to move it while it's in reinforcement.
* Looter (No name given) - a deployable POS that will tractor and loot white/blue containers and wrecks towards it, storing the items within. This will be great for solo mission runners as it will collect everything for you while you jump to the next room, then when you come back all you have to do is loot one container. You will still have to salvage yourself though.
* Local Cynosural Field Jammer (No name given) - A disposable single use cynosural field jammer that has a range of 70-100 km. Prevent hot-drops on your roaming fleet.

[size=15pt]Ship Rebalancing[/size]
* Interceptors - Slightly lower EHP, immune to warp bubbles - Now nothing can stop the interceptor, expect to see gate camp tears and flames on the forums while everyone copies my travel fit Interceptor. Might also lead to a stronger focus on the return of the insta-lock camps of old (I know it's much harder to do now) but I doubt it.
* T2 EWAR - I think this was focusing on cruisers? I don't know I heard EWAR and my eyes kind of glazed over...Sorry but I missed this one. I think the gist was; easier to fit and more effective.
* Marauder - This has been on the features and ideas forum for a long time now. Marauders gain a deployable state like Siege (Dreadnoughts) and Triage (Carriers) called Bastion complete with new transforming animations. While in Bastion a Marauder; can not move, is immune to EWAR and has a massive boost to it's EHP. Out of Bastion it has a 200% bonus to the CD of MJD activation. So Marauders might be turning into sniper boats with high EHP that jump 100km around the grid every minute.

[size=15pt]SOE Faction Ships[/size]
The Servant Sister of EVE are launching their own fleet of (pirate) faction ships, buy yours today!
* Only showed frigate and cruiser variants, no mention of a battleship
* Less DPS than other pirate faction ships
* Uses Amarr (armour bonuses) and Gallente (drone bonuses) spaceship command skills
* Role bonuses are centered around exploration with better EHP and (a first for T1's) the ability to fit a covert ops cloak. This just screams WH and general exploration to me.

[size=15pt]Certificates[/size]
* New certificate system that's more relevant to how skills are used today.
* Fewer more concentrated certificates that focus on core skill groups eg. only one certificate for Navigation.
* Certificates now come in 5 levels
* Higher grade certificates will no longer contain other certificates as prerequisites only skills. No longer a mess of nested items.
* Now automatically claimed, no mention over private/public controls but that was a discussion on the forums.
* Ship Mastery Levels - Collect the right skills/certificates for a specific ship and gain 1/5 mastery levels in it.
* The Interbus Ship Identification System - A progression tree of all the ships in EVE with your mastery levels next to them. This way you can see at a glance what you can fly, how well you can fly it and where to go to next.

Miscellaneous
* Warp Speed Acceleration - Warp speed acceleration is now dependant on maximum warp velocity. You may/may not have noticed but every ship in EVE has the same acceleration/deceleration time in warp. This means that even if a ship has a higher warp speed compared to another one the amount of time spent entering and exiting warp means that the total travel time can be very similar. Now a higher warp speed will correlate to a higher acceleration as well, widening that gap. The current warp acceleration will be the standard for T1 cruisers. I like this change it makes sense and is nothing but good news for me in my travel fit Interceptor that does 21.09 au/s, bad news for freighter pilots at 0.75 au/s.
* High-sec POCO's - Just like in low-sec/null-sec all customs offices can be claimed and run by capsuleers.
* Rapid Heavy Missile Launcher - A BS sized variant of the Rapid Light Missile Launcher that launches (you guessed it) heavy missiles.
* New warp bubble art
* Character selection screen remodel - I only use my main so this won't affect me much but at least it will look better than it does now.
* Twitch.tv intergration - It seems like features may be a little anemic when it launches but they did mention that they hope to maintain and expand it. ;) I probably won't use it myself but I think a lot of people will worry about their overlays and even more importantly delays/not streaming chat.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Mcoffey said:
Strazdas said:
Mcoffey said:
Can it shave like, five hours, off the tutorial stuff? Cause that'd be just dandy. My trial ran out before I could even really get started. I might go back to it if there's a big subscription sale on steam sometime, cause what little I saw I liked, but I'd really like to feel like I'm doing something with my time.
Erm what? the 6 tutorial agents takes around 3-4 hours to complete everything. the basic tutorial is minutes. and you dont evne have to do that if you dont want to.
if you went into sisters story ark, well, thats main storyline already.
Maybe I was doing something wrong then, or maybe I'm just impatient, cause the job tutorials felt like an eternity for me. I just wanted to get out there and smuggle stuff! How do you activate the main storyline? Just so I know if/when I ever go back.
Ah, well, i guess i dodnt account for the possibility of manufacutring. you probably had the "manucfacture iteron" or some sort of mission and actually waited while it manufactured for an hour. everyone just sets one up to manufacture, buys one off market, gives it to the mission give and sells the one he manufactures in an hour for the next guy like this. but yes for a newbie i see how you could not come up with such a plan. that would make tutorial much longer. though the 21 days trial coves it EASILY (i mean you did take the 21 days and not 14, anyone haves unlimited invites to 21 day trial, and people offer it all around becuase if you take my trial and then become a paying costumer i get 1 month of subscription free basically (i get rewarded 1 plex) so peopel are pushing them all over.
As for smuggling, well, technically you could do that. practically noone ever does. you have a chance of being caught at the game by customs (as in 0.002% chance and stuff like that) and if you get caught goods are confiscated and you loose standings (and pay fine). the standings are not worth the smuggled items, especially since they arent expensive all that much. there are better legitimate business around. well unless you REALLY know what your doing and can either buy back or grind back the standings. but yeah i dont suggest this line of work in eve.
As for storyline, as soon as you finish tutorial it gets activated. basically it says you should contact a NPC quest give and a storyline mission apepars in your quest log that has expiry date set to ridiculosu date like 2090 or something (regular missions expire in a (real life) week if you dont finish). you go to that NPC and the arc of missions start. to be honest ive been playing over 4 years now and i havent bothered with it. but its good rewards for those that do it from what my corp mates told me (corporations there are like guilds in regular MMOs).
Ive been doing real fine with my mining manufacturing and trading empire hehe. i havent spent ANY real money on that game. paid with ingame currency all the way through. granted first couple months i was in debt to my friend, a debt i gave back once i got the skills required to set up good mining operations in the evening :)

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Mcoffey said:
Strazdas said:
le snippete
I have heard mining is a really good way to make money. I guess I had this Mal/Han Solo fantasy when I got my trial. I didn't get the 21 day one, sadly. I likely spent too much time trying to burn through the tutorial instead of doing business with people. Side effect of single-player mentality.
first i gota say i love mining. its my favourite thing to do in eve and i will not give up on it.
that being said, its far from being the most profitable one. its one of the least profitable ones provided you know what your doing ( as others often need more thought put into it). I can see how people can find it boring, especially now with larger holds you could technically set it up on large asteroids and go AFK for 30 minutes and if your lucky youd have a nice load in you when you come back (as in noone ganks you, NPCs dont disturb, somoen doesnt steal roids, they dont bump you away, ect).
Though on the flipside its easy to get into it, is easy to understand and provides some nice gradua limprovements for new players. its often called new players profession since its quite safe, relatively easy and can provide a steady income for an new player.

back when i joined tutorial wasnt as fleshed out and i had trouble udnerstanding one mission. i asked in local chat. i found a friend for life that day. he introduced me to his guild, the one and only guild i ever been in that game and i love them. if i would have just ragequit or tried everything till it worked i cant honestly say i would have played for 4 years without a break. sometimes one good connection at the right time is all it takes.
BUt yeah i do have singleplayer mentality too and i like to do things alone more than in teams, but i dont shy from corp events when i can (though being global corporation the times are always going to punish somone, but our leader is norwegian so most events take place in EU timezone).

well, if you ever want to try again PM me ill get you the 21 days trial. or you can PM any other eve player, they will have them as well.

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
I must say, I'm a bit disappointed. Mostly because we were all told how horribly hard and time consuming it would be to restore the in game jukebox, but we'll add something even more useless in the form of twitchtv. The Jukebox at least had some use.