Even Ex-Maxis Employees Are Making Cities: Skylines Mods - Update

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Even Ex-Maxis Employees Are Making Cities: Skylines Mods - Update

Cities: Skylines' mod support is so intuitive, it's even gaining the attention of ex-SimCity developers.

Update: If you think Bryan "MaxisLime" Shannon deserves some dosh for his work, you can now support him on Patreon [https://www.patreon.com/gula]. As Shannon is between jobs at the moment, he is looking to try and get some money for his modding, with Patreons paying him out for every building he makes for Cities: Skylines.

Original Story: From death, comes life. In the same month that we heard EA Games was closing down SimCity [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140006-Electronic-Arts-is-Closing-Down-Maxis]. One of the biggest praises of Skylines was its fantastic mod support, and now, even an ex-SimCity developer from the defunct Maxis studio is giving it a whirl.

custom coal power plant [http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/2ywf4c/maxislime_here_checking_in_with_my_first_art_mod/].

"With my mod of the base Coal Power Plant, you will have some slightly increased stats at the cost of minor increased noise pollution and increased construction cost. A custom model was used as well as various custom textures," wrote MaxisLime. "I wanted to bring some dirty bricks in to the overall pastel palette that the game uses. All of the appropriate particles and entryways have been tuned, and size comparison on the grid is the exact same as the original garish and oddly futuristic coal building that shipped with the game."

MaxisLime praised the ease-of-use of Cities: Skylines' mod tools, which are being used for impressive feats such as re-creating GTA V's Los Santos with impeccable detail [http://www.pcgamer.com/cities-skylines-mod-completely-recreates-gtavs-los-santos/]. He says that this is just his first mod of many, and to look forward to more of his work.

Source: reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/2ywf4c/maxislime_here_checking_in_with_my_first_art_mod/]

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
This isn't even my type of game and I'm being drawn to it. It had over ten thousand mods released for it in less than a week an (or was it one thousand, I'm not sure now) and the GTA V map was also out in less than a week.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I've been watching Northernlion play it, and it looks quite good. Since I usually have zero interest in the genre this is to the game's credit.

I actually laughed when I saw the headline though.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I'm even thinking of buying this game just as an F.U to EA. Well that and I like city building games, but hated the direction SimCity took.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
008Zulu said:
I'm even thinking of buying this game just as an F.U to EA. Well that and I like city building games, but hated the direction SimCity took.
I'm pretty certain someone has added a mod to do just that...well, say "screw you" to EA, that is. Maybe a dilapidated HQ building?
If not, someone SORELY needs to.

Sep 14, 2009
yeah as someone who isn't HUGE into city builders...this game has me decently hooked, it seems extremely well done and I haven't even gotten a chance to dip my toes into mods yet.

Definitely have had a few of those moments where you start playing the game, and randomly snap back to reality 4-5 hours later not even realizing how long you'd been playing the game for.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I hope they can get their own city simulator company started out of the ashes of Maxis. Fight EA! Keep going! :D

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
That really is like the ultimate 'fuck you EA'. Kudos ex-Maxis employee. Just...kudos.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
This game was already on my buy list but damn, can't wait till I have a spare $30!

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Putting hours of free work into your former boss's competition, because calling them out on twitter just won't do the job.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Is it a mod that makes Skylines require a constant internet connection?

Metadigital

May 5, 2014
Jandau said:
Never confuse a publisher with the people who actually toil and sacrifice to make the games you enjoy.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Metadigital said:
Jandau said:
Never confuse a publisher with the people who actually toil and sacrifice to make the games you enjoy.
Never absolve the developer of all guilt, as they are at least to some extent complicit.

Metadigital

May 5, 2014
Jandau said:
Never absolve the developer of all guilt, as they are at least to some extent complicit.
Put away your torch and pitchfork. I don't think this artist is responsible.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
I'd love to see some dystopian style buildings. I'd make myself a big evil city, with me as its dictator!

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Metadigital said:
Jandau said:
Put away your torch and pitchfork. I don't think this artist is responsible.
No torches or pitchforks involved, I was just making a snide jab at Maxis and you decided to take it too seriously...

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Li Mu said:
I'd love to see some dystopian style buildings. I'd make myself a big evil city, with me as its dictator!
There's someone making Stalinist hellscape soviet bloc buildings. Get to it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"An" ex-maxis employee...heading makes it sound like a trend.

KoudelkaMorgan said:
Can we get some non-Euclidian geometry going? R'lyeh could be a tourist hotspot...
I'd love to see more of that in games, but getting it to work, and wrapping your head round it would likely be awkward.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Charli said:
That really is like the ultimate 'fuck you EA'. Kudos ex-Maxis employee. Just...kudos.
I think the "Ultimate" (as in, Final, Un-toppable) 'fuck you EA' would be creating a game in the genre they worked in that helps drive them out of business.

Well, even the most noble of endeavors have to start somewhere.