Even More Final Fantasy Games Head to the PS4 in 2015

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Even More Final Fantasy Games Head to the PS4 in 2015

Square Enix announced it will release a port on the PS4 of Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster.

Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X are some of the more prolific games in the JRPG series - even moreso now that Square Enix has confirmed it will port the PS3 Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/final%20fantasy%20x%20hd] to the PS4.

Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2 originally released on the PS2 in 2001 and 2003, respectively. The HD remasters for PS3 and Vita launched in March 2014. The PS4 version will be available in the West in spring 2015 as a physical and digital product.

Over the weekend, Square Enix also announced the PC port of Final Fantasy VII [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138932-Final-Fantasy-VII-Announced-for-PlayStation-4] will be available spring 2015. However, it will only be available digitally. It is not the rumored HD remaster or a port of the original PlayStation version.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster on the PS4 will cost $49.99, while Final Fantasy VII on the PS4 will cost $15.99. The latter is available on Steam at $11.99.

Rumors about Final Fantasy X/X-2 on the PS4 appeared earlier this week when a retailer listed the game [http://kotaku.com/rumor-final-fantasy-x-and-x-2-are-getting-hd-remasters-1668673511], which it later pulled. Now that the rumors are put to rest, anyone who hasn't picked up the remaster for PS3 will have a chance to do so on PS4.

Source: Square Enix [http://press.na.square-enix.com/releases/366/legendary-roleplaying-classics-coming-to-playstation4-system]

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Okay, look. Final Fantasy X was a great game. In my opinion, it was the last great Final Fantasy game (so far). I'm even one of those rare people who bought and fully enjoyed X-2. But I'm not buying these two games a third time, no matter how good they are. I still have both original PS2 versions and I bought the PS3 remake.
Releasing this for the PS4 is great news for those who want a chance at this game, but at this point I have to wonder just how many of those people are left? Surely most of the people who wanted this picked up the PS3 version, right?

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Ok square, we get it. You like to re release games and squeeze every penny you can out of them. I only hope this is due to the fact you want as much money to go towards the budget of FF15 and not simply because you're money grubbing and will take any and all opportunities to do as minimalist work possible to make money. I know thats wishful thinking, but really, I hope FF15 is amazing, and we won't be seeing it re released on the PS7 in super duber alpha omega hyper HD 3D smellovision for the umthinth time.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
Okay, look. Final Fantasy X was a great game. In my opinion, it was the last great Final Fantasy game (so far). I'm even one of those rare people who bought and fully enjoyed X-2. But I'm not buying these two games a third time, no matter how good they are. I still have both original PS2 versions and I bought the PS3 remake.
Releasing this for the PS4 is great news for those who want a chance at this game, but at this point I have to wonder just how many of those people are left? Surely most of the people who wanted this picked up the PS3 version, right?
Not necessarily. According to Sony, the majority of PS4 owners never actually owned a PS3. I was one of them that traded up from my stalwart 360 to the new PS4 and never got the chance to play any PS3 games. I imagine that's who this is for.

... The Last of Us Remastered was pretty great, btw. But, yeah, c'mon, Square... Give us Final Fantasy XII HD.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
*sigh* Any plans for releasing this on PC?... No?... I could give you lots of moolah Squeenix... Just sayin'.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
It wouldn't be Square-Enix if they didn't release a re-release.
If it wasn't for Eidos I would just forget about them altogether.

I guess every publisher found their "thing".
UbiSoft got their samey and faulty games, Activision is content with CoD, EA sticks to abusing BioWare and DICE and Square-Enix likes to dwell on the past.

? no wonder the industry is in deep shit.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Square Enix... stop porting the same goddamn games. No wonder why you guys are in poor financial shape, holy christ. 9 years between new games (clearly I'm embellishing) and an uncountable amount of remakes in between. Why don't you try... I don't know... porting a game that everyone who likes them doesn't already owns it on multiple platforms (probably), or maybe make a new one for the current generation.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Excellent. So except for those that did not own a PS3/Vita, I guess this give you the option to give Sony and Square another $50. Cool fuskin beans. /sarcasm

So why is it $20 more for the PS4 version? I highly doubt too much more went into getting it to run at 1080p (if it even does) or into porting it over to the PS4.

Call me when they at least put FF9 (the last true FF) in widescreen or really do make a full FF6/7 remake. (I might be saying hi to some 30th century archeologists from my imperial sarcophagus by then, but still give me a ring.)

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
My wife is still playing this game on PS2 slim on a CRT TV. She seems perfectly happy with it. I'm not sure what I'll do when the PS2 quits though. Hopefully they'll still be working ones for less than the cost of a PS3.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Ishigami said:
It wouldn't be Square-Enix if they didn't release a re-release.
If it wasn't for Eidos I would just forget about them altogether.

I guess every publisher found their "thing".
UbiSoft got their samey and faulty games, Activision is content with CoD, EA sticks to abusing BioWare and DICE and Square-Enix likes to dwell on the past.

? no wonder the industry is in deep shit.
With Activision you forgot Skylanders.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
ryukage_sama said:
My wife is still playing this game on PS2 slim on a CRT TV. She seems perfectly happy with it. I'm not sure what I'll do when the PS2 quits though. Hopefully they'll still be working ones for less than the cost of a PS3.
My PS2 is connected to my HD TV lol, I swear those thing's are invulnerable, it just keeps going and going. Duracell bunny eat your heart out!

OT: I got it on PS3 and haven't played yet, so just like the last 2 remasters I'm going to have to say "errr no thanks". To be honest free time for gaming is becoming scarce for me :-(

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Dear God, with the rate they are going, we'll soon have multiple re-releases/remakes of a single game during a single console generation.

*glances at Capcom*

Oh... Right...

That said, I wonder when we'll finally get to play the International Edition of FF XII. Or perhaps a re-release of FF IX with the original matte painted backdrops in full HD glory.

Or maybe just a new FF game that doesn't suck.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Arqus_Zed said:
Dear God, with the rate they are going, we'll soon have multiple re-releases/remakes of a single game during a single console generation.

*glances at Capcom*

Oh... Right...

That said, I wonder when we'll finally get to play the International Edition of FF XII. Or perhaps a re-release of FF IX with the original matte painted backdrops in full HD glory.

No idea why people are acting so shocked... they never heard of Final Fantasy 1, 2, and 3? They have form in doing such things.

However have Square Enix remade a game on the same console the original came out on? I don't think so, so clearly they need to try harder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atelier_Rorona:_The_Alchemist_of_Arland

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Arqus_Zed said:
Whoa, whoa, WHOA. Lets not get crazy here. This is square we're talking about. Did you think we were talking about Atlus?

Anyway, I don't mind a re-release (or a re-release of a re-release). It's an opportunity for new fans to Discover old classics, and it's a nice way to get around the lack of backwards compatibility. I don't understand why the games are so expensive, though. In any case, I'll skip the titles myself. I never cared for FF 10. Actually, as I've gotten older, I've come to hate all of them but seven.

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
from me to the escapist. I do not care about ff rereleases. it's not news. they try reselling their shit every chance they get.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
it was the last great Final Fantasy game
You were saying?
12 was terrible, like 8, only less tolerable.

OT:
great, wonderful, how about a new FF? one that doesn't?

or ya know, maybe a new game from one of those great IPs you've been sitting...

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Lunar Templar said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
it was the last great Final Fantasy game
You were saying?
12 was terrible, like 8, only less tolerable.
Incorrect, as a functional game, FFXII was absolutely brilliant, YMMV on the story and characters, I found them more than satisfactory, as well as the Gambit System and License Board (somewhat boring in the original game, but in the Zodiac Job system, you can give every party member their own individual license board, making it more fun to explore it) Not to mention it was a game that rewarded the everloving crap out of you for going off the beaten path (many powerful weapons and items are available to you early on if you know where to look)

FFVIII was fine too, a lot of people didn't like the draw and junction system (I can see why) but I never had to grind out spells like so many claim you MUST do, I just refined items from cards I got while playing (hell, half the fun I had in 8 was abusing the card refining system)
Um, no ...

The Job system was grinder then ever before, had way to many asinine restrictions on gear, the boards where little more then busy work, the characters, lol, no, just no. the world it self was probably the least interesting I'd seen in a FF game, the Gambit system was pretty much pointless and the plot was just as bad as the characters.

About the only thing good I can say about it is that it looks better then 10, but not really by much.

I mean there's a lot I dislike about 8 to, but I'm more willing to play 8 again then ever pick up 12 again.