Even More Great Anime on Netflix

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
Even More Great Anime on Netflix

Netflix is a great resource for anime, they usually have tons of it available. Today we're giving you eight great series that are streaming as we speak, so what are you doing reading this when you have these great shows at your disposal. Check these out and then get to watching, it'll be worth your while.

Read Full Article

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Deadman Wonderland starts out amazing but after episode 4 it just loses its way and gets worse and worse. Sword Art Online isn't very good, its flashy but not very good, if you want an anime that does the stuck in a game thing right, look up Log Horizon.

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
I always liked .hack franchise as far as in a video game anime goes. I wish all of that show was on Netflix.

On a side note correct me if I wrong but I thought at the start of Soul Eater they had already collected the 99 souls of evil humans and where hunting the final soul they need which was a witch.

The description makes it sound like they hunt humans souls not specifically evil humans souls & and I think on the flip side any witch soul would do not just an evil one.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I been meaning to check out The Devil is a Part-Timer! Also wait? Fairy Tail is on the list? Ok sure I do watched it but as a Shonen shows, it fall behind cos I just find that show to has less struggle in that they win way too easily.

Also when are they going to contine Soul Easter like they did with Full Metl Alchimist and no, that spin off Sould Eater NOT does not count (it lived up to its title for NOT being Soul Easter!)?

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Dandres said:
On a side note correct me if I wrong but I thought at the start of Soul Eater they had already collected the 99 souls of evil humans and where hunting the final soul they need which was a witch.
Yes, Maka and Soul have already collected 99 souls and only need 1 Witch Soul, but they fucked up because of wrong information.
So they need to fix the article because that's not the main plot for Soul Eater anyways.

Soul Eater = Just read the manga. (AWESOME OST though)
Deadman Wonderland = Just read the manga.
Blue Exorcist = Just read the manga.
Black Butler = Just read the manga... :p

w23eer

Mar 13, 2014
For those of you in the UK (and probably America too, I don't know) you should definitely check out Steins;Gate. I don't even watch anime and it's still my faveorite show of all time.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Some of these I can understand (Devil is a Part-Timer made me laugh more then I care to admit) but how did SAO make the cut? It isn't great, it isn't even good. One can make the argument that it's entertaining (I know myself and many others only continued watching it to see just how low it would go, and the second arc did not disappoint) but it is by no means anything other then bad on the quality scale.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Worgen said:
Sword Art Online isn't very good, its flashy but not very good, if you want an anime that does the stuck in a game thing right, look up Log Horizon.
Which is made even funnier when you remember that Log Horizon, a show aimed at children and classified as educational, has more drama, better written characters and a far, far better use of the premise then the late night show that is SAO. I've never seen a case of a show having so much going for it only to fall apart due to the writers.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I started watching Deadman's Wonderland, but I couldn't get through it. It was just too bloody bleak for me.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
The Devil is a Part Timer is fuckin glorious. Its humorous and touching at the same time. "Heaven is a place on Earth, specifically a second floor 1 room apartment." Fantastic.

Fairy Tail is great too, though it does suffer a bit (at least in my opinion) by having the supposed badass characters get their shit wrecked constantly. Erza is always portrayed as this awesome lady who can kick your ass at any point, then continually puts her in situations where she gets whipped on over and over again so that she could be saved by Natsu and Gray, despite the fact that she can kick both their asses at any time. God that shit was annoyin.

Noragami is also a great pick. Little melodramatic at parts, but the world is really nicely set up and the characters are likable enough. The only downside was Yukine, up until the point he stopped being a little shit. Its a good character arc, but its annoying as shit.

Deadman Wonderland is super duper depressing. If that's your bag, go for it because its a really good anime, but its seriously depressing. Plus the main lead is like, 2 notches above Shinji from Evangelion in whiny babyness.

No huge opinion on the others. SAO is a love it or hate it thing. Personally I love it, but to each their own. Then again, if I want video game world anime, I watch No Game No Life.

Speaking of, watch No Game No Life on Hulu people. Its glorious.

Edit -

On second thought, if you plan to watch anime just use Hulu or Crunchyroll. Of the two Crunchyroll has far more anime, but you need to pay 7 bucks a month to use it. I haven't found an anime on Hulu that you have to pay for.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
w23eer said:
For those of you in the UK (and probably America too, I don't know) you should definitely check out Steins;Gate. I don't even watch anime and it's still my faveorite show of all time.
Steins;Gate was awesome, though I'm curious your thoughts about the ending/last three episodes? I'm probably in the minority here, but I seriously wish the last three episodes never happened. Everything was (almost) perfect up till then.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
A lot of these look really.... bleh. To be fair though, I haven't enjoyed many animes that I've tried. FMA Brotherhood is probably my favourite, I liked Code Geass a lot, the first season of Death Note was great, Berserk was..... interesting, and Knights of Sidonia is okay. I've tried many others, but there's usually something that's too off-putting.

On this list, I've tried SOA and Fairy Tale. I hated both of them tremendously.

For stuff that's currently on Netflix, I've been watching Gurren Lagann and I find it to be pretty fantastic. To be honest, I have no idea why. This is not my kind of show at all, but for some reason, I absolutely love the characters. Kamina is the kind of character that I would normally hate, but he's so incredibly over the top and enthusiastic, that I just can't help enjoying every second of his screen time. The show is frequently hilarious.
On a side note, this anime has made me very sad.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
LysanderNemoinis said:
w23eer said:
Steins;Gate was awesome, though I'm curious your thoughts about the ending/last three episodes? I'm probably in the minority here, but I seriously wish the last three episodes never happened. Everything was (almost) perfect up till then.
Yeah, Netflix has Steins;Gate here in Canada, and I can't imagine that they don't have it in the States.

As for the last few episodes, I think I have to disagree with you on that count, I always felt it was pulling in that direction, they set up going there in the first episode, so it never felt to me like that was an unnatural place for the story to go. In fact, giving that the show is largely an escalating exploration of different modes of time travel, I think it wouldn't have made sense for the series not to go there. Sure, the place where we're left with the characters ends up being different, and not necessarily for the better, but I think they mitigated that damage well while getting the most out of the overall themes of the story.

And Man

May 12, 2014
HAHAHAHAHA SAO. Oh my god SAO is terrible. The rest of the list is fine but SAO is so bad it's funny. I can understand why some people like the beginning, but once it gets into ALO it is objectively awful

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Smiley Face said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
w23eer said:
Yeah, Netflix has Steins;Gate here in Canada, and I can't imagine that they don't have it in the States.

As for the last few episodes, I think I have to disagree with you on that count, I always felt it was pulling in that direction, they set up going there in the first episode, so it never felt to me like that was an unnatural place for the story to go. In fact, giving that the show is largely an escalating exploration of different modes of time travel, I think it wouldn't have made sense for the series not to go there. Sure, the place where we're left with the characters ends up being different, and not necessarily for the better, but I think they mitigated that damage well while getting the most out of the overall themes of the story.
I don't know, I never felt the story was going that way. Without trying to spoil anything, I always thought that the character who motivated most of the plot would be the one who was the focus of the end. It was like if at the end of Romeo & Juliet, Romeo all of a sudden decides that he actually likes Rosaline after spending the whole play fawning over Juliet. It felt to me like the main characters' personalities all got derailed at the last moment. It never felt like things were set up from the start. If they'd gone more of a Clannad route of adapting a visual novel, I would have at least accepted it unstead of the ending feeling like an M. Night Shamalamadingding twist.

syaoran728

Aug 4, 2010
Worgen said:
Deadman Wonderland starts out amazing but after episode 4 it just loses its way and gets worse and worse. Sword Art Online isn't very good, its flashy but not very good, if you want an anime that does the stuck in a game thing right, look up Log Horizon.
I love how the first comment is putting down SAO and plugging Log Horizon.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
syaoran728 said:
Worgen said:
I love how the first comment is putting down SAO and plugging Log Horizon.
I know, me too, that's why I made it. I did mention Deadman Wonderland first though.

w23eer

Mar 13, 2014
LysanderNemoinis said:
w23eer said:
I liked it. Mostly.
Now that you make me think about it, I suppose I didn't like how Kurisu died - being 'accidentally stabbed' is a tad contrived (not to mention predictable that Okabe would be the one that killed her). And I wasn't entirely ok with future Okabe popping up immediately afterwards with an "everyone wins" solution ...at first at least. That whole bit just seemed rushed.

But everything after that is... well, I don't want to be dramatic but I honestly don't think I could have enjoyed it more. It was a stunning return to form for Okabe - he had been rather (understandably) sullen up to this point, and it was nice to see him (and his future self) return to their lovable eccentric selves. Okabe near sacrificing himself to make blood might have been a bit cheesy, but cheesy is good sometimes.

And the OVA (episode 25) was absolutely perfect. It's easy-going enough to provide a refreshing breather for the depressing stuff that happened in prior episodes, but also focuses enough on Okabe and Kurisu's relationship to give a definitive and fitting conclusion of their romance.
There was one thing I didn't like about the series though...
The whole thing about reversing each D-mail sparing Mayuri's life by exactly one day was a completely artificial plot element. It was there solely for convenience, because the writers couldn't think of a logical way to keep Mayuri alive while Okabe reverses each D-mail. Hopefully the VN does a better job justifying it.