Even the Floor Hates the New Dante

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Grey Carter said:
The decision to cap Dmc at 30FPS is, rather bizarrely, probably the least unpopular design decision Ninja Theory has made thus far, but it's still a big sticking point for fans of the series.
I'm not so sure about "least unpopular." In my circle of fanboys, that's one of the biggest, if not the biggest, issues.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Check out Nu Dante cowering at 2.50 on "The Fight" trailer. Dante doesn't cower. He smiles and says "bring it on."

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Denariax said:
I kinda fail to see the logic with some of the complaints; primarily the 30FPS, as to my knowledge, the original didn't even work on 60FPS. And if it did it cut out a lot of what the game was about (The combat) by making the enemies less frequent and rather boring. Don't get me wrong, I still love the games, but I'm thinking this may be my favorite solely BECAUSE it's working on 30FPS. Means more enemies to slice through, and honestly thats all I want.

Besides that, the aesthetics? He's still the snarky wisecracker as in the last games; just because his hair is black doesn't mean he's not the same person. (Yeah, he smokes, but honestly who gives a damn, he was 'toocoolforschool' in the other games as well.)

Besides, its working on UT3 engine. Don't like his hair? Hack in the white.
I c wat u did thar XD

OT: I like the death floors far too much, but the real question here is:

Is sanity... The price to pay... FOR POWER?!

How much air time is too much air time? Cuz that's a looot of air time. As long as the melodramatic OTT cutscenes are still in though, i'm game. I fucking love those things

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
Holy shit that was a fucking cartoon. I'm at a loss of words on describing how much of a stupid cartoon that looked like. God those big stupid billboards with his name on it making cheesy evil voices, fuck.

Nalbis

Oct 6, 2008
I'm actually looking forward to this, I've always been a fan of the DMC games. The first will always remain the best to me but I've always enjoyed the sequels. I even quite enjoy the terribly cheesy voice acting. The combat in this one looks to be very entertaining and appeals to my love for over the top chained combos. The art style looks great to me too, still not overly keen on the new look for Dante but I can get past that.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
The environments look amazing, I love idea of malevolent architecture (and the way it appears to be implemented). The combat looks fun, the music captures the 'Devil May Cry' feel perfectly, and they even appear to have dialled back the emo eyeliner on the protagonist.
Bring it on, Ninja Theory, I'm liking this project more with every trailer. Just make sure it controls well.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
The Escape trailer hurts my head. Something about the abstractness of the city collapsing onto itself...

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm not really a fan on how Dante looks, he looks like a tool.

That being said, the combat looks really fun and I'm diggin' the twisted buildings and streets, it looks like a lot of fun. I couldn't care less if the game is at 30 FPS or at 60, maybe I'm just ignorant, but it doesn't really matter to me.

I dismissed this game just because I was never into DMC to begin with, but I think I will be paying a little more attention to this game now.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
i still hate the new look of dante with a passion.

that being said, these videos didn't look too bad. nothing to write home about, but it could still hold some promise.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
I've often wondered how trivial a change a designer could make to a character to have people say they were ruined forever.

DMC fans have set a new record, claiming that the series is ruined because Dante now has black hair.
Hair color is just being picky. But I agree with ruined people in that that doesn't look like Dante, color his hair white, he still doesn't look like Dante.

Heck, even if they said it was a prequel and it was a much much younger Dante, it still doesn't look like a younger Dante.

They have no idea how franchise characters and their looks, even when revamping and making a new game, the main franchise characters must always look the same, or they kill the franchise. It would be like if Nintendo changed Mario's look and said that he isn't Italian plumber anymore, and is now an Mexican dentist and he will be a Mexican dentist wearing a sombrero from here on out. Granted that Mario is a much much larger franchise, and people would riot and tear down Nintendo headquarters if that happened, but it would be of the same stupidity that Capcom is showing with this "New look" for Dante.

Franchise characters are a big thing and are a large chunk of sales. Capcom would be nuts to think this new game with a new look could make any money compared to the true franchise look. Brand look/recognition is everything. Most people new to the series aren't going to pick it up since it has 5 at the end and don't want to get in the middle of something that they would have to go back and play all the rest of the games, and a vast majority of fans of the proper franchise look will not buy it because it doesn't look right.

Halyah said:
Adam Jensen said:
Also last time capcom uttered a word, they declared this to be an alternate universe or some such. Looks like even they realized that this was starting to sound like a bad move.
Then it is rather stupid that they are calling it Devil May 5. If it is alternate universe than it is a new franchise altogether.

Why not call it Devil May Cry: Alternate, or Devil May Cry: New Beginnings, or DMC: New Universe DMC:NU for short.

The five will make new people think it belongs with the other four games.
-------------

With how stupid and awful Capcom has been getting with it's games and ideas, I think it is time they just went away or somebody buys them out and guts out all the morons that seem to be running the company.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
I'm prtobably the only one that thinks Dante looks like the everyday brown game protagonist, It's not nice to look at.
There's one thing about the older Dante's design that actually fits the crazy metal anime feeling of the game, new Dante just looks like a pussy.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
What the hell? Why is this even called Devil May Cry. Just get a new fucking IP, Ninja. There'd be less whining.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Anyone else think the new Dante looks like a cross between Jensen and the protagonist from Painkiller who has been shaved?

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
I guess the fact that I've never played a DMC game before makes me actually excited for this. I can see the girl being a contrived bullshit excuse to have a helper in though who probably dies. And who is Dante's voice, his look makes and voice me think it's a 20 year olds Nolan North, cos I ain't ever seen him voice someone for with long hair.

jacobythehedgehog

Jun 15, 2011
The Pinray said:
I'll remain hopeful. I'm treating old Dante and new Dante as two different people. We'll just have to see when it drops.

Lots of people clamored about the new Castlevania game and I absolutely loved it.
CastleVania is a bit different, Every game had a new character, so it wasn't a huge deal. Devil May Cry, Dante is the progonist of all the Devil May Cry games. It is like making a Zelda where instead of Link being a girl-like Elf guy, he would be a character that would resemble the Prince of Persia. It just wouldn't work