Ever feel sorry for the enemies you've killed in a game?

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
Red Dead Redemption's death physics made me feel a little bad at a few of my headshots... there was one specific guy I clearly remember, after a quick pop out of cover I placed a bullet in his face and he slowed his run toward me, reached up with both hands and felt his head for a second before toppling over.

That game's animations had me sold on the rather painful death I was inflicting on my foes. In fact I'd wager for most of these replies it's all about how well acted the death was. If the game sells us on the fact that these aren't just empty little shells that fall over once they've taken enough damage (Oh, sorry Bethesda, I didn't see you and your lame game engine there... my bad...) then I'm pretty sure every death can be sympathized with.

Sometimes walking through the battlefield after combat I'd see the realistic death poses and pained expressions on their corpses and yeah... It would totally get to me, especially given that for the flip of a coin Mr. Marsden could have easily been one of those nameless thugs.

Hopefully the next GTA will use the same engine, because I think the line will get blurred a bit more as in GTA you've never really been that different from the people you're killing (unless they're cops).

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Commissar Sae said:
Playing Red Orchestra 2 at one point, shot a Russian in the gut and he proceeded to groan and whimper for a good minute before dying. I tried to put him out of his digital misery but the game wouldn't let me, and I had to defend that position so I heard him in agony for the whole time it took him to die.

Yeah felt pretty sorry for that one.

Strangely feel sorry for some of the guys I kill in Alpha protocol as well, maybe it has to do with the ORPHAN COUNTER they so nicely put in the game to remind you of all the fatherless children you've now created.
... seriously? There's an orphan counter?

OT: The Sasquatches in Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare. They only ran from me, and when the one under the tree spoke, I was like "No! Please let me fix this!" made me want to kill the hunter who gives you the quest.

DyqstARD

Jul 20, 2011
Trucken said:
There's a mission in GTA IV where you free a man sentenced to a lifetime in prison only to kill him. The only reason for doing this is because a lousy junkie is mad at him for talking smack about him. The real kicker is that everything he said was true, yet you still have to shoot him while he's begging for his life. I really didn't like that mission.
Finally someone to mention this game.

I have another story about GTA 4. On Occasion you will go hold out against the police in the nearby hospital etc, about halfway through my survival run, i spotted a man cowering for his life in a corner, stuttering much, he said 'Just tell my wife i love her, ok? And i had barely any time to think about what he just said before i shot him. I then thought about it, and gave myself up to the cops.

Only to get shot by some dickhead gang member with a shotgun.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Pretty much ever NPC and secondary character in FFXIII because many of them were instanly slaughtered or turned to C'eith (the game's main enemy types) by the all powerful god-like fal'Cie, many times for no reason or fully developing the secondary characters.

TheDarkSanta

Aug 12, 2011
Pretend they are nothing more than those neighbours who play terrible music extremely loud. That's how I would reccomend getting over these strange incident's of morality.

But on the whole, no. I've never felt like I've done a bad thing. Playing Fallout 3 and slaughtering anyone who comes near me was a good idea :)

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
Rarely the enemies, usually just the innocent bystanders. "No Russian" in MW2 is a good example. I actually pretended to shoot them, deliberately missing. Say what you like about CoD, it's pretty immersive.

I also used to feel guilty when I ran over pedestrians in GTA 4. (That one didn't last long, of course.)

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
blade6441 said:
Trucken said:
There's a mission in GTA IV where you free a man sentenced to a lifetime in prison only to kill him. The only reason for doing this is because a lousy junkie is mad at him for talking smack about him. The real kicker is that everything he said was true, yet you still have to shoot him while he's begging for his life. I really didn't like that mission.
Finally someone to mention this game.

I have another story about GTA 4. On Occasion you will go hold out against the police in the nearby hospital etc, about halfway through my survival run, i spotted a man cowering for his life in a corner, stuttering much, he said 'Just tell my wife i love her, ok? And i had barely any time to think about what he just said before i shot him. I then thought about it, and gave myself up to the cops.

Only to get shot by some dickhead gang member with a shotgun.
I am LOVING how much Rockstar is appearing on this. Shows they did their job just right. I mean sure, as many video game censorship groups have said, you can just run around capping cops and innocent bystanders, but through their dialogue, reactions, and even death poses the NPCs can make you feel terrible for your actions.

So yeah, on one hand it's an epic mass murder simulator, but to me the Grand Theft Auto's have always been about painting a moral message about that life that only a fool would miss. Red Dead Redemption sent this further home with it's epic plot line, ending, and post-ending-ending.

Side note: Keep going Rockstar, we love you.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
In Fallout: New Vegas, I was playing an NCR character, and I befriended the Brotherhood of Steel for a mission. I did a whole bunch of missions for them, got the Power Armour Training, and then realised that by replacing the Elder, I couldn't get them to help the NCR. My only choice was to blow them up. I felt genuinely bad killing them all after befriending them. Even worse as I left the bunker and it all blew up.

Icyheart

Feb 7, 2011
The first few splicers in Bioshock. Most of them terrified me out of my mind the first time I played (part of that was the circumstances under which I was playing it. Trust me, you had to be there.), but then there were the ones who just kept crying... like that one crying over the baby carriage where you find the pistol... and every time I had to kill a Big Daddy, I always feel a twinge of guilt when I hear the little sisters crying. And that one in Bioshock 2 when the little sister whose protector you just killed looks up at you and says "Mister B! You're all better!" I almost cried. (don't laugh. I have a strong natural paternal instinct. I said don't laugh! It's not funny!)

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
Engineers in Halo 3:ODST. They are just slaves and you can't set them free.

Some soldiers in Just Cause 2. It just sometimes feels like the guys I am working for are actually the much bigger jerks in the situation.

Though there not enemies I always feel sorry for all civilians I kill in Fable 3. They're annoying but it feels wrong to kill them.

Really I've never felt sorry for Joke Henchmen though. He picks his guards to be ruthless

and you are defending yourself from them.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Usually has to be tragic bosses, but I'm the sentimental type. Mooks, even the most tragic of them (Parasite Eve's or Resident Evil's humanoid mooks, for example) I don't think twice about. Except for that one blonde in Res 5 that may or may not be Sherry Birkin (which wouldn't make sence because she's a Leon & Claire assoiciated character, not a CHRRRRIIIIISSS & Jill associated). Given that she's the first Lasher however she can be considered a miniboss.

jessegeek

Oct 31, 2011
Yes, many. If I have to kill a Witch in L4D1/2, the Big Daddies in Bioshock, and the Dollgirls in Alice: Madness Returns, particularly after their origins are revealed later in that chapter.

But the game franchise with the most for me is definitely Dead Rising. Other than the fact that the regular zombies are so pathetic and derpy and easy to run past they don't feel like enough of a threat to me for me to feel justified in killing them, several bosses actually aren't the instigator of the violence/have a legitimate reason for attacking you:

- Brent Ernst (Slappy) Considering the information he has available, he is entirely justified for wanted vengeance against Chuck as the (perceived) instigator of the outbreak.

- Theodore 'Ted' Smith (Still a mystery to me why he couldn't be saved if you tamed Snowflake before killing him...) Kinda goes without saying, really. He obviously has cretinism, and that plus his background of severe bullying has affected how he deals with people.

- Adam MacIntyre (the clown from the first game) I guessing this is gonna be a controversial one, but look at the facts: he has just witnessed a huge number of children die gruesomely and suffered a psychological disconnect because of the trauma. However, he's still aware enough of the zombies to have worked out that loud noise keeps them away, and due to their compromised motor skills they can't get on it. Hence, the safest place to be is on the roller coaster, so he puts that guy on it, and guards the controls with his life to ensure that the zombies won't kill the person he's assumed responsibility for. Sure, he's not doing the right thing, but his intentions are good. If that's not a case of Heroic BSOD, I don't know what is.

-Ulven-

Nov 18, 2009
I actually felt pity killing Big Boss in MGS3

And setting zombies in Half Life 2 on fire. The screeeeeaming!
They can't control themselves and sometimes I set them on fire to save a couple of bullets. It feels wrong though.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Icyheart said:
(don't laugh. I have a strong natural paternal instinct. I said don't laugh! It's not funny!)
I understand completely. I have no idea what possessed me when a splicer grabbed the Little Sister and I heard her scream...I laid waste to everything around us, including an innocent Big Daddy who just wandered in to see what was happening...even worse, he had a Sister of his own...and she started crying and begging him to get up..that one pulled me out of my anger. I couldn't just leave her there, either...it was heartbreaking.

TheGreekGeekPrick

Oct 29, 2011
The old ladies I ate in Prototype. Yeah, it was funny as hell, but it was funny in the "I really should burn in hell" kind of way.

Other than that, I kinda feel bad about RTS genocide. Poor vilagers never see it coming.

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
Only enemy I've ever felt sorry for are the unbaptised babies from Dante's Inferno; I made it a person mission to always absolve them no matter what.

Morthello

Aug 1, 2011
Country
United States
Jus recently in dark souls. In the dukes archives when these blue squid things called piscas are released. I killed them one by one until there are 2 left but for some reason they wouldnt attack me and seem to be cowering in a corner and you can hear wut sounds like women crying. After looking it up online i find out that theyre apparantly the victims of Seaths experiments and are women that have been changed into monsters. Decided to kill them to end the misery but it made me pretty sad; cant wait to get to that bastard Seath now!

Mugen Weston

Jan 4, 2011
Packie_J said:
Killing Sif in Dark Souls. Why From Soft? Whyyyy?!

He's just a huge adorable wolf with 20-foot buster sword on his mouth. The way he limps when he reaches low health just crushes my heart. T_T
You are not alone buddy, his limping got to me too :( as well as the whole fight in general...

however, to honor him I now wield his awesome sword

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
binnsyboy said:
Strangely feel sorry for some of the guys I kill in Alpha protocol as well, maybe it has to do with the ORPHAN COUNTER they so nicely put in the game to remind you of all the fatherless children you've now created.
Same here I feel so bad looking at that counter.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
This might sound silly, but after a while, i started feeling sorry for the zombies in Dead Island.
It got to the point where I was clubbing them on the head with a hammer and sending them into a dazed state, and then hitting them again and again until they stopped moving.
I actually had to stop playing it recently because it really makes me want to be physically violent.