Ever lose faith... in humanity?

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
I don't have any faith in humanity.

I usually forget that I don't have any faith in humanity until something stupid happens.

asdasdasdasda

Oct 17, 2009
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.179082-Korean-Otaku-Marries-Anime-Body-Pillow#5210150

Faith in humanity?

Yeah, I don't think so.

Apr 24, 2008
Charlie the Grenadier said:
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
Your way of thinking hinges on the idea that things should be a certain way.
Exactly.

An utopian world will never exist, the human condition won't let it be so, and treat human beings as if it can is flawed from the outset.
I'm not sure that's what I was saying...not that it's entirely wrong.

I was just pointing out that morality is an invention of the mind...and so entirely subjective. We pick and choose what is right based on what serves our societies better(mostly...it's a process). It might be socially beneficial...but can never truely be "right"...Because there isn't really a grounds for claiming that something is right. Rendering all human debate worthless!

Not really "worthless"(self quoting is lame, I know), it's nice to try and make our existence as easy as possible, and to look out for eachother. I just like how you can reduce even the most caring and seemingly righteous moral arguments to arrogant nonsense by acknowledging that we are just making this shit up as we go along...

Angryman101

Aug 7, 2009
What does it mean to lose faith in humanity? There are a broad spectrum of interpretations of that statement in this thread alone. What exactly are you losing faith in? The goodness of their hearts? Meaning in their lives? These abstract constructs are your own creations and you yourself give them value and detract from their value, and it's silly to imply that you can lose these constructs by other's actions when it's you yourself who give them shape and meaning.

Anyways, no. Optimism is fun. Sometimes bad things happen. Sometimes good things happen. There's some beauty in tragedy, as Nietzsche and the greeks would let you know, and you should have fun with all parts of life instead of focusing on the bad.

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009

Idealism is just fantasy. I can understand wanting things to be different. But insisting that things "should" be different, or a certain way...is just folly.
Since when was fantasies invalid?

You do know that these "fantasies" you speak of provide the basic foundation for pretty much every society that has ever existed right?

And as with all fantasies and opinions, they are a rather subjective thing (as the old addage goes: "opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and they all stink").

Personally, my subjective opinion is that man is appalling and should become extinct as soon as possible. It's not any more valid or invalid as any other opinion of man in general.

So I'd advice you not to underestimate fantasies and personal opinions, because when all is said and done, it's the only thing that really matters to everyone.

Apr 24, 2008
Housebroken Lunatic said:

Idealism is just fantasy. I can understand wanting things to be different. But insisting that things "should" be different, or a certain way...is just folly.
Since when was fantasies invalid?

You do know that these "fantasies" you speak of provide the basic foundation for pretty much every society that has ever existed right?

And as with all fantasies and opinions, they are a rather subjective thing (as the old addage goes: "opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and they all stink").

Personally, my subjective opinion is that man is appalling and should become extinct as soon as possible. It's not any more valid or invalid as any other opinion of man in general.

So I'd advice you not to underestimate fantasies and personal opinions, because when all is said and done, it's the only thing that really matters to everyone.
Did you read my follow up post?

I was trying to be objective, not opinionated. My point is, whilst our morality means alot now, it'll mean nothing when we're gone. Ignoring what is socially favourable, and even what is socially viable. Does a solid basis for morality truely exist? You said that it is subjective, yourself.

If you read my next post, you'll see I'm not advocating anarchy and the abandonment of thousands of years of ever developing social attitudes... I'm just exploring a line of thought. Just trying to look at the bigger picture.

I'm sorry that your outlook is so bleak. Maybe having a "general opinion of man" is a mistake. I'm sure you consider yourself an individual, and dislike it when you are pigeon-holed. Why not extend that to others? Our morality that is based on simple empathy is surely something we can agree is beneficial to embrace?

x0ny

Dec 6, 2009
I lose a little faith in humanity everyday but at least I do something about it instead of just idly standing by.

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009

I was trying to be objective, not opinionated. My point is, whilst our morality means alot now, it'll mean nothing when we're gone. Ignoring what is socially favourable, and even what is socially viable. Does a solid basis for morality truely exist? You said that it is subjective, yourself.

If you read my next post, you'll see I'm not advocating anarchy and the abandonment of thousands of years of ever developing social attitudes... I'm just exploring a line of thought.
Nope. I just answered the one below mine.

But I think we're of different opinions anyway. You don't advocate anarchy, I however do. Mainly because im sort of disgusted with the hypocrisy of the prevalent so called "morality" all over the world. Mankind might be an ugly beast, but I think I could respect said beast a little better if the beast in question roamed free and engaged in the wanton slaughter and destruction expected of it. As it is now that beast have put on a nice suit an try to walk upright and in general still engage in wanton slaughter and destruction but it's reasons for it are hidden behind petty morality and hypocrisy.

Quite simply, global and violent anarchy would make me more at peace with the rest of humanity. Clinging to hypocratic morality however is just disgusting and rather ridiculous...

Adorann

Dec 9, 2009
Stupid people do stupid things, Smart people do smart things. I think the stupid things are more publicized and gain more attention, and we focus on that without realizing that some people has made some great achievements from time to time.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
Sometimes, but I tend to think to myself: "most people are dumb or horrible, but it's those rare awesome people that make up for it". That keeps some faith going.

Ninjastoned

Mar 3, 2010
Every time I look at Bad games... or mabey they're there to make better games that would create a better future

Apr 24, 2008
Housebroken Lunatic said:

If you read my next post, you'll see I'm not advocating anarchy and the abandonment of thousands of years of ever developing social attitudes... I'm just exploring a line of thought.
Nope. I just answered the one below mine.

But I think we're of different opinions anyway. You don't advocate anarchy, I however do. Mainly because im sort of disgusted with the hypocrisy of the prevalent so called "morality" all over the world. Mankind might be an ugly beast, but I think I could respect said beast a little better if the beast in question roamed free and engaged in the wanton slaughter and destruction expected of it. As it is now that beast have put on a nice suit an try to walk upright and in general still engage in wanton slaughter and destruction but it's reasons for it are hidden behind petty morality and hypocrisy.

Quite simply, global and violent anarchy would make me more at peace with the rest of humanity. Clinging to hypocratic morality however is just disgusting and rather ridiculous...
A population of nearly 7 billion suggests that our nurturing side is stronger than our destructive side. To the point where over-population is a problem...we just can't kill eachother fast enough, can we?

Always_Remain

Nov 23, 2009
Danny Ocean said:
Mr Wednesday said:
It's funny no one's mentioned either the holocaust or nuclear weaponry.

Because, you know, most of the crap on here really pales in comparison.
Indeed.

No. I've not lost faith in humanity. I doubt I ever will. Although this thread is bringing me pretty close. How can you have such distaste for your fellow man? A few mistakes by a few totally separate groups of people is enough to tarnish the reputation of the entire damn species?

It's not even a case of bad apples in a barrel. It's case of a few bad maggots in a few perfectly fine apples in a collosal sea of apples.

TheSeventhLoneWolf said:
I've never lost faith. Optimism is a curse.
secretsantaone said:
Of course, other people can't enjoy things you don't like. Heavens no.

Saying you've lost your faith in humanity doesn't make you cool or edgy. You'll go back to your loving family, your supportive friends and, for most of you posting in this thread, your educational teachers. How can you say you've lost your faith in humanity when people all around you are going out of their way to make you happy?

Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.
So far I've read only three posts that express optimism. We must unite!
Oh I'm just disappointed on humanity. We probably aren't going to advance much further and if we do we're just gonna die. Not very "Happy". Sorry.

wierdman51

Apr 24, 2009
.... every minute at work... i work at a school named union park in the middle of occupied Orlando Florida. (don/t ask by what, you'll find out) the school is 96% non white, (no racism intended) and all i hear is stuff on rap, and idiots yelling about how black hey are.
yeah they're black, thats THATS THEIR MOTHERFUCKING SKIN COLOR!!! anger.
then theyre al idiots, in this eighth grade class i have a girl named maria is 17, and im surprised she still fits in the seats. this makes me lose in my faith on humnity.
and also, i caught a kid selling "protection with a flavor" rubbers in the bathroom. you wont guess what else he had on him.
all this makes me lose my faith in humanity.

mrsketchy

Mar 11, 2010
dimensione510 said:
In humanity as a whole, yes, but there are a few bright spots.

Bastards usually end up dieing, though.
bright spots in hummanity is like hype about spectacle games. They're secretly dead corpses decomposing in the wasteland while us picky crows peck longingly at the shiney flaps of skin that reflect the sun's light off it's pussy slime-covered exterior.
Or maybe perhaps crows pecking the eyes out of dead drug overdosed teenagers, despite the fact that the only thing those eye's have looked upon is horridly fettishizzzed hentai

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
I have very little faith in humanity, for every good thing out there that is actually noticed there are about 15 things that are just plain horrible. Hell, at this point I doubt humanity will last to the end of the century.