Ever realised that in the plot line of your world, you're a villain?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I'm having yet another sleepless night, something that happens quite a bit when I'm writing a script, and I got doing that "thinking" thing that always ends so badly.

I realised something while thinking about why I do this, why I make films, why I write, and why I like to make horror films.

I like to make people afraid because they once made me afraid, thus making it a form of revenge, albeit a non-target-specific form. I like to make films that drive them just a little bit insane, because I want them to things from my point of view, if only for a little while, and even my comedy work has an element of villainy of it, because I like that level of control. I like to know that just for a little while, a group of people will feel exactly what I want them to feel when I want them to feel it, power over a world I once felt powerless against.

Point is, along with my background of unbelievable torment at the hands of my dear classmates, I'm quite the horror film sociopath with a tragic backstory to boot.

The worst part is, I'm completely fine with this. Hell, it's not as if I plan on actually killing anyone, just...traumatising them a little. Besides, people are at their most honest when they're afraid. Live with a man for thirty years, eat with him, sleep in the same house, talk on a daily basis, and then at the end of the thirty years, hang him over a volcano, and you will finally meet the man.

TL:DR; Have you ever had a moment of realisation when you find out that if life were a film, you wouldn't be the hero, but a villain, or at least an anti hero?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
smithy_2045 said:
I wish. I'm more of an expendable extra.
Why do you say that? It seems odd to me. Considering you see your life from your point of view, it seems odd to not even think of yourself as a side character, but just someone in the background.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I'm that guy that occasionally shows up for important things but then you realize he's gone for everything else. And never bad things, I guess.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Nah, in my plot line I fall squarely within hero territory.

I try my best to be good and generally not torment people, and I've done more good deeds than bad within my lifetime.
Granted, my story's not that interesting, but it's an uplifting one, at least I think. Of course, that also begs to argue the point, that one man's hero can be another man's villain.
Perhaps I'm not good, perhaps in someone else's story I'm misguided and on the wrong path, propelling me down into villain status.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Doclector said:
Live with a man for thirty years, eat with him, sleep in the same house, talk on a daily basis, and then at the end of the thirty years, hang him over a volcano, and you will finally meet the man.
You've been talking to Shepherd Book about those warrior poets a bit too much.

OT: I'm more of a Deus Ex Machina in my plot line, kinda. Even if I haven't talked to a friend in a while, I'll go out of my way to help them out if they ask, whether directly or an undirected post on Facebook. I pretty much just ignore those I dislike, because they aren't an enemy I need to riddle with holes. Yet.

Logiclul

Sep 18, 2011
There is no hero in my plotline, as there is no villain. I am very central to it and important, but most of the good I do goes unnoticed, so if I had to state a title, I'd say the narrator. You don't think about it, but without the narrator, you would feel sad, after all, now you have to narrate the story yourself, and that may get confusing. The narrator doesn't run the show, he just makes it more enjoyable, and improves the state of things to where you appreciate its existence.

I think that is as fitting a description as I can objectively give.

Oct 12, 2011
I don't see myself as either the hero or villain. I'm alternatively the smart-ass sitting on the sidelines making obnoxious commentary, or the mentor who urges the hero to not give up.

Hm. I guess that's why I went into teaching in a nutshell, isn't it?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Jedoro said:
Doclector said:
Live with a man for thirty years, eat with him, sleep in the same house, talk on a daily basis, and then at the end of the thirty years, hang him over a volcano, and you will finally meet the man.

OT: I'm more of a Deus Ex Machina in my plot line, kinda. Even if I haven't talked to a friend in a while, I'll go out of my way to help them out if they ask, whether directly or an undirected post on Facebook. I pretty much just ignore those I dislike, because they aren't an enemy I need to riddle with holes. Yet.
I was wondering when someone would spot that reference, but still, it's pretty true. Hell, take the current situation in the world, cops pepper spraying protestors, this is authority scared, or at least the individuals within the authority, peeling away the mask and revealing the thugs beneath.

Logiclul

Sep 18, 2011
Doclector said:
Jedoro said:
Doclector said:

I was wondering when someone would spot that reference, but still, it's pretty true. Hell, take the current situation in the world, cops pepper spraying protestors, this is authority scared, or at least the individuals within the authority, peeling away the mask and revealing the thugs beneath.
No, you are referring to the authority exercising the power which the majority gifted. The mask beneath is an illusion; as the authority is the same as it always was, only we didn't require its presence so much before.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Doclector said:
Jedoro said:
Doclector said:

True, kinda hard to maintain a facade when you're paralyzed by fear. It'd be nice if this was the "worse" part of "things always get worse before they get better," but I get the feeling we got a long way to go. Maybe the world really will end in December 2012, but not because of some meteor or Mayan "prediction."

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Doclector said:
smithy_2045 said:
I wish. I'm more of an expendable extra.
Why do you say that? It seems odd to me. Considering you see your life from your point of view, it seems odd to not even think of yourself as a side character, but just someone in the background.
Tip... you have to do remotely important things and not constantly ride on coat-tails to be the main character of a story.

OT: Nope. In a movie, I'm the well-meaning diplomat who's trying his darndest to stop any and all conflict (read: not a main character, expendable, a nuisance to the plot).

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I guess I'm like M'aiq The Liar. I don't contribute anything, I make snide remarks, and I'm missing the second you turn around.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
all I know if I were in a film..I would be the one somwhat bored with life narrating things with dark humour and sarcasm

like fightclub or american beatuy.....thats a worry

so yeah..a type 1 anti hero

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Doclector said:
That was in a film... Or a TV show. Can't remember the name of it, though. Care to help out?
EDIT: Never mind, Firefly

Anyway, not sure I fit into archetypal hero or villain roles if my life story were told. I'm aware of moments in which I've done the right thing, and those in which I've been the bad guy. I like to think in general I err on the side of the hero, but who knows. I embellish every tale I tell to make my cause seem more just, but doesn't everyone? There are stories I avoid because I can't tell them in any other way than with myself as the villain, but again, who doesn't?

I think I'll cheat here. I'm not the hero, but also not the villain. I'm the protagonist. In my story, anyway.
I'm almost a Deus Ex Machina in other peoples' - have a bad habit of wandering in and out of the lives of others unpredictably, but I try to help whilst I'm around.

Shadow flame master

Jul 1, 2011
I guess I would be the anti-hero of the story. I already have a dark veiw of the world and feel like it's not all sparkles and hope your parents taught you, but I belive the world is worth fighting for. I would fight with the truly good hero but make snide remarks at how he can't finish the job, or how mercyful he is.

So yeah, other than that, I'd be the guy who fights only for himself because people betray others too easily.