Ever realised that in the plot line of your world, you're a villain?

Jubbert

Apr 3, 2010
I'm more the side character that makes fun of the white-knight noble characters for being overly dramatic and trying too hard to make things right when it's easier to just sit back and do nothing.

Then when shit goes down I'm the guy that goes out of his way to one-up all the other characters in ridiculously selfless sacrifice in order to do good.

Or something like that.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Ask anyone that knows me. I'm a complete dick. Am I a villain? Ehhhhn, not really. Then again, given that "villain" implies "antagonist", in the context of each person's life there is a distinct impossibility of being the villain, unless you are consciously and actively working against yourself, in which case you end up with a paradox in which it's impossible to succeed or fail. Really though, I don't think I'd count as hero or villain. Everything I do is for my own personal gain, but sometimes that is achieved through helping other people, sometimes it's achieved through hurting other people. Such is life.

wax

Apr 8, 2010
If my life were a movie it would be more of an avant guarde art movie where the scenes don't flow together and are random in terms of chronology. Very scattered and plotless in which I would be both the hero and the villan and the confused bystander.

ArcNitemare

Apr 30, 2008
My guy tends to be be more neutral good then neutral evil,though he has done many things that are very morally questionable.It also begs the question of if you do something because it was supposed to happen and was a fixed point in time(ala WW2) and making sure said something happens...does it count as evil?

soulless-5

Aug 30, 2011
I'd be the guy who everyone who new me would suspect/expect me to take over the world or worse, even if I was trying to save it or be neutral. I even got "don't commit genocide" write on my shirt when I graduated high school by one of my friends.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
I'm a White Knight and a Tragic Hero. I will try to fix everything and save the day even at my own often extensive expense, even if my "heroics" end up screwing things up. Somehow, in almost every scenario, I'm the one and only individual that gets the burden. And if anyone throws a wrench in the plans, if even one person in the group messes up or "acts of God" make my task impossible, it's always my fault and I bear the punishment. And it's not like I'm the leader or anything. I just put in twice the effort and actually care about what I'm doing, and I'm the one that gets the shaft. So yeah, I am a lot like the main character. The main character in a Tragedy. If something bad is going to happen, it's going to happen to me.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Doclector said:
I'm having yet another sleepless night, something that happens quite a bit when I'm writing a script, and I got doing that "thinking" thing that always ends so badly.

I realised something while thinking about why I do this, why I make films, why I write, and why I like to make horror films.

I like to make people afraid because they once made me afraid, thus making it a form of revenge, albeit a non-target-specific form. I like to make films that drive them just a little bit insane, because I want them to things from my point of view, if only for a little while, and even my comedy work has an element of villainy of it, because I like that level of control. I like to know that just for a little while, a group of people will feel exactly what I want them to feel when I want them to feel it, power over a world I once felt powerless against.
Or, y'know, you just enjoy the horror genre. Not everyone has some sort of Freudian excuse for why they do what they do.

And besides, give what you just said, my line of reasoning is a lot nicer to you than yours is. Would you rather do something because you enjoy it, or because you're some sort of emotional sadist?

Doclector said:
Point is, along with my background of unbelievable torment at the hands of my dear classmates, I'm quite the horror film sociopath with a tragic backstory to boot.
...wait, what? Now you're "the horror film sociopath with a tragic backstory"?

One thing at a time: your username makes a clear enough reference to Silence of the Lambs, so I'll work with that. Hannibal Lecter's appeal was that he was both genius and utterly mad and we never found out why. It was left to our imaginations what could have created someone like him. The prequel utterly ruined that, but I pretend everything beyond the first film didn't happen.

So because you like making people afraid through the creation of horror movies...you fancy yourself a real-world Hannibal Lecter?

Doclector said:
The worst part is, I'm completely fine with this. Hell, it's not as if I plan on actually killing anyone, just...traumatising them a little.
Which sorta contradicts the "horror movie sociopath" description you gave yourself earlier.

Doclector said:
Besides, people are at their most honest when they're afraid. Live with a man for thirty years, eat with him, sleep in the same house, talk on a daily basis, and then at the end of the thirty years, hang him over a volcano, and you will finally meet the man.
And now you're paraphrasing the Joker, along with the dozens of other villains who gave better-worded versions of how they believe true human nature is revealed.

So in other words, it's the person that has known you and lived with you for thirty years who will somehow be revealed as an entirely different person...as opposed to you, who actively lied about your own intentions for three decades and then attempted to murder a man who likely considered you a lifelong friend because you thought it was poetic or some crap?

Yeah, right.

Doclector said:
TL:DR; Have you ever had a moment of realisation when you find out that if life were a film, you wouldn't be the hero, but a villain, or at least an anti hero?
Now that I think about it, that "sociopath" description you gave yourself earlier wasn't entirely off. In light of this, it'd be more "narcissism" than anything else.

See, if life were somehow a film, even if it took place in my school/town/workplace, I have a realistic enough view of myself to know that I wouldn't be the hero or a villain. As a rule of thumb, anyone who fancies themselves a hero in a movie is rarely ever an actual hero. And if you want to be a villain, you better actually have some villainy under your belt.

And no, being a 19 year old amateur writer/director of horror "films" doesn't count. But it's mostly the fact that you think you're having such a profound impact on your viewers that rings most of narcissism. Who usually watches your work? Out of them, how many weren't involved in the production/came to view on their own free will?

Doclector said:
smithy_2045 said:
I wish. I'm more of an expendable extra.
Why do you say that? It seems odd to me. Considering you see your life from your point of view, it seems odd to not even think of yourself as a side character, but just someone in the background.
Unlike the useless-in-life adage you paraphrased earlier, here's one that could help explain Smithy's logic:

"For every winner, there are thousands of losers, and odds are strong that you're one of them."

SundayModulator

Oct 10, 2011
In my "plot line" I'm simply the protagonist. At least I think so, for I can't quite figure out if I'm the villain or the hero.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
The righteous anti-hero. A man of morals and with good intentions but without the ability or luck to do anything right. I'll carry on until the last page, to whatever end, though. The resolution better be worth it.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I've been the heroic dupe... I've been the quiet, unappreciated savior... I've been a cog in an uncaring machine... and most recently I'm a jaded, bitter cripple, old before my time.
...but I've never truly been the villain. Sometimes I pretend, sometimes I feel the urge to go that way, but those are the actions I don't let myself take. Ever.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Nah, I'd be the comic relief. Guess I'd die in the last act, like all of my kind tend to do. Maybe I'll become a fan favourite and get resurrected for a crappy sequel though.

rawfy

Feb 4, 2011
I'd probably be a cross in between the mad hatter, and the chesire cat from alice in wonderland (the original cartoon, i don't recall the recent live action one well enough...*snore*)

kind of a random obscurity, unexplainable, shrouded in vague interpretation, and...*vanishes*

or without the nifty little description: *forever alone*
LOL!

])rStrangelove

Oct 25, 2011
I'm the guy who has a small part in the beginning of the movie and its not before the end where everything has gone to hell and back that everyone realizes it could've all been avoided if they paid more attention to what i was suggesting in the first place.

KaiusCormere

Mar 19, 2009
I turned away from my villainy after the first act, but I have yet to see if I end up the hero, or just end up the center of a tragedy.

VyseRogueKing

Oct 27, 2011
I'd easily be the hero who is constantly tempted and tormented by the concept of the dark side. I typically do everything in a "moral" fashion but I always have a thought about furthering my own ends instead. So Conflicted Hero then.

Also I learned that when someone I dislike has something unfortunate happen to them and then I laugh about it it is significantly maniacal. It scared the crap out of my friends

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Doclector said:
smithy_2045 said:
I wish. I'm more of an expendable extra.
Why do you say that? It seems odd to me. Considering you see your life from your point of view, it seems odd to not even think of yourself as a side character, but just someone in the background.
Depression tends to leave you with very little self-worth.