Ever realised that in the plot line of your world, you're a villain?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I'm either a flawed hero or a deluded villain who thinks he is good... I very much hope the former.

General Grind

Oct 31, 2011
I'd be a lazy sidekick with a happy outlook on life that may or may not lighten the mood, depending on my own mood. At the first sight of trouble I'd be gone in a heartbeat and come back when the doing is done. If my movie is any good, I die in the third act as I try to sneak away from the action, face the big baddie and dies instead of being his puppet. At least that's what I hope. Being the antagonists puppet is probably more realistic.

If I was the protagonist, everyone would leave the movie after 10 minutes or the director had to be someone like Terrence Malick or Darren Aronofsky who intertwined my life with my dreams and had tragic ending where I died from too much laziness.

Jan 27, 2011
Nah, I'm not a villain. I'm the happy go lucky comic relief side-character guy. True, I have a sad messed up part of my life, and there's some part of me that's not quite right...but I'm no villain. Although I sometimes pretend to be. :p I have a REALLY good evil laugh.

Although, If I got superpowers and lost everyone I cared about, I would probably become a "knights templar" kinda villain pretty fast. So I'm a potential villain in the making.

Source: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KnightTemplar

(how do you make direct links?!)

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Char-Nobyl said:
mega ultra snip.
Wow. I've never seen anyone go to such an extreme length to try and disprove someone's interpretation of themself. That was almost impressive.

I don't agree for the vast majority of that, but I guess I'm sorry that my own perception of myself offends you so.

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
Doclector said:
Char-Nobyl said:
mega ultra snip.
Wow. I've never seen anyone go to such an extreme length to try and disprove someone's interpretation of themself. That was almost impressive.

I don't agree for the vast majority of that, but I guess I'm sorry that my own perception of myself offends you so.
Actually, I think he made quite a few interesting points. Would you care to respond to them instead? I mean, you don't have to, but I think an impressive post like that deserves a more thorough answer. (Sorry to Char-Nobyl if he just wanted to post that and be done with it.)

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
Trippy Turtle said:
I'd be the sidekick and I am more then happy with that.
Hooray for sideicks.
Less responsibility, cute girl instead of the hot one, comic relief, actual human flaws, etc.
Hooray for sidekicks once more!

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
DonMartin said:
Doclector said:
Char-Nobyl said:
mega ultra snip.

Actually, I think he made quite a few interesting points. Would you care to respond to them instead? I mean, you don't have to, but I think an impressive post like that deserves a more thorough answer. (Sorry to Char-Nobyl if he just wanted to post that and be done with it.)
I was going to just leave it as I thought he'd only get angrier if I said anything to disprove it, but, okay. If this starts a flame war of sorts, on your head be it!

On the horror point there is a minor part of truth, the horrors of the screen in my youth were far preferable to the all too real horror in my life, thus, horror became a strange place of comfort to me, but then again, I have to admit the darker side of things, because I take such glee in a truly scared audience, I have to admit that a large part of it is effectively a kind of revenge.

On the part where he says about me saying I'm a sociopath although I don't kill anyone, well, quite simply it's just a manner of speech.

Same goes for the part where he talks about hannibal lector. I'm a fan, but it ain't no inspiration for my personality.

The point about the volcano story was similiarly nitpicky. True, it would stink of hypocrosy to do such a thing, but that's hardly the point. It was from firefly by the way, and it was actually said by one of the good guys, but it is a common argument among villains, I'll give you that.

And on the final point, true, my films have not yet reached a major audience, but they have been screened in front of I'd say about a hundred people who weren't involved in the films. I'd link to youtube, but a series of unfortunate events led to a lot of my work being lost in the digital format, and I haven't quite got round to putting them up somewhere again.

I of course, don't expect to have the same impact as the volcano story, but you can bring people close if you're good enough, which one day, I hope to be so.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
If the films was set during parts of my childhood or during High School than I would be indeed the villian.
All I can say I was quite a devil child and I was sometime a dick in High School like when my mate want to take over as leader in this project, I lie to him saying the current leader would be pissed off about that and he begin to panic.
However the friends I was with were far more of a dick than I was (they were the type to make fun of people while I despite their actions).

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
The one who is stuck here, without any say in it. Just trying to do the best with the time given and knowledge gathered, perhaps the occasional councillor behind the scenes or a merc on the field but never in the spotlight. Only time will tell how it all ends, if lucky, perhaps the old man giving advice but ending up tired of this world and bitter, hoping his time among these stupid apes will come to a end soon, is not out of the question.

Jan 27, 2011
DonMartin said:
Trippy Turtle said:
I'd be the sidekick and I am more then happy with that.
Hooray for sideicks.
Less responsibility, cute girl instead of the hot one, comic relief, actual human flaws, etc.
Hooray for sidekicks once more!
Yup. Why bother being a main character and have to fight tooth and nail for every inch of progress, when you can be a side character and not have to deal with any of that? :D

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
DonMartin said:
No problem, man. I rarely ever fire-and-forget when it comes to any post longer than a couple sentences.

Doclector said:
I was going to just leave it as I thought he'd only get angrier if I said anything to disprove it, but, okay. If this starts a flame war of sorts, on your head be it!
Riiiight. Because your "I'm almost impressed with how offended you got" post was totally you taking the diplomatic route. Anyhoo, moving on.

Doclector said:
On the horror point there is a minor part of truth, the horrors of the screen in my youth were far preferable to the all too real horror in my life, thus, horror became a strange place of comfort to me,
You can allude to supposed "horrors" that occurred in your life 'til the cows come home, but it won't give me any sort of actual perspective. And I'm already being generous enough to accept personal anecdotes as face value.

Doclector said:
but then again, I have to admit the darker side of things, because I take such glee in a truly scared audience, I have to admit that a large part of it is effectively a kind of revenge.
Again, that's sadism. Not sure what definition of 'sociopath' you're looking at, but it ain't what you think it means.

Doclector said:
On the part where he says about me saying I'm a sociopath although I don't kill anyone, well, quite simply it's just a manner of speech.
*facepalm*

Right, as much as I loathe citing Wikipedia, here's the page for antisocial personality disorder [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder], ie, the thing that you have if you're a sociopath. As you can probably tell, it's a medical condition, not so much a figure of speech. And generally when people think of sociopaths, they think of people like Hannibal Lecter...except that actual sociopaths aren't anything like the eloquent, well-versed man that we saw in Silence of the Lambs. If anything, Buffalo Bill was closer to an actual sociopath: barely able to sustain normal conversation for more than a sentence or two, and possessing the belief that human life is utterly worthless.

You, on the other hand, if you do indeed take some sort of joy in seeing others afraid, practically already disqualify yourself from the category of 'sociopath.' You can't get satisfaction out of an emotional response from another person without acknowledging them as human. Otherwise, what's the point?

Doclector said:
Same goes for the part where he talks about hannibal lector. I'm a fan, but it ain't no inspiration for my personality.
Again, not really a sociopath. Basing your opinions on victims of ASPD is like basing your opinions of the US military off of Rambo.

Doclector said:
The point about the volcano story was similiarly nitpicky. True, it would stink of hypocrosy to do such a thing, but that's hardly the point. It was from firefly by the way, and it was actually said by one of the good guys, but it is a common argument among villains, I'll give you that.
I was trying to address it in broad terms while using the wording of the situation you gave me.

But as you say, "that's hardly the point." What is the point, then? To the general idea, that is. Does it have anything resembling a valid point? Or is its sole purpose to sound cool when coming from the mouths of excellent actors?

Doclector said:
And on the final point, true, my films have not yet reached a major audience, but they have been screened in front of I'd say about a hundred people who weren't involved in the films. I'd link to youtube, but a series of unfortunate events led to a lot of my work being lost in the digital format, and I haven't quite got round to putting them up somewhere again.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Doclector said:
I of course, don't expect to have the same impact as the volcano story, but you can bring people close if you're good enough, which one day, I hope to be so.
Wait, what? Hang on, what are you trying to achieve? Your analogy was about spontaneously threatening someone's life, not showing them a particularly scary piece of fiction.

Look, mate, I doubt you have a very high opinion of me (especially after getting this far into my response), but you're diminishing your own work with this sort of comparison. Any retard can put a knife to someone's throat for some backwards reasoning about human nature. But what you're trying to achieve is an art, and you're only insulting yourself by thinking less of it.

Was John Carpenter just trying to freak people out when he made The Thing? Does Stephen King only write because he gets off on the terrified whimpers of his readers? Of course not. Don't sell yourself short like this.

Besides, you're not getting revenge for jack shit. Do you think that the people going to a horror movie don't actually like being scared? That'd be like trying to get revenge on a hobo by throwing sheafs of dollar bills at him. Sure, they might have a little heft to them, and maybe annoy him momentarily, but then he's left with exactly what he wanted.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
I am regular person who when mad becomes Smite-stupid-people man.

So in my eyes I am the hero, but the police might see me as a villain.

But I saved you all from his stupidity! Handcuffs really? Did you not feel it eating away at your brain?

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Char-Nobyl said:
DonMartin said:
No problem, man. I rarely ever fire-and-forget when it comes to any post longer than a couple sentences.

Doclector said:
Riiiight. Because your "I'm almost impressed with how offended you got" post was totally you taking the diplomatic route. Anyhoo, moving on.

Doclector said:
On the horror point there is a minor part of truth, the horrors of the screen in my youth were far preferable to the all too real horror in my life, thus, horror became a strange place of comfort to me,
You can allude to supposed "horrors" that occurred in your life 'til the cows come home, but it won't give me any sort of actual perspective. And I'm already being generous enough to accept personal anecdotes as face value.

Volf99 said:
but then again, I have to admit the darker side of things, because I take such glee in a truly scared audience, I have to admit that a large part of it is effectively a kind of revenge.
Again, that's sadism. Not sure what definition of 'sociopath' you're looking at, but it ain't what you think it means.

Doclector said:
*facepalm*

Right, as much as I loathe citing Wikipedia, here's the page for antisocial personality disorder [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder], ie, the thing that you have if you're a sociopath. As you can probably tell, it's a medical condition, not so much a figure of speech. And generally when people think of sociopaths, they think of people like Hannibal Lecter...except that actual sociopaths aren't anything like the eloquent, well-versed man that we saw in Silence of the Lambs. If anything, Buffalo Bill was closer to an actual sociopath: barely able to sustain normal conversation for more than a sentence or two, and possessing the belief that human life is utterly worthless.

You, on the other hand, if you do indeed take some sort of joy in seeing others afraid, practically already disqualify yourself from the category of 'sociopath.' You can't get satisfaction out of an emotional response from another person without acknowledging them as human. Otherwise, what's the point?

Volf99 said:
Again, not really a sociopath. Basing your opinions on victims of ASPD is like basing your opinions of the US military off of Rambo.

Volf99 said:
I was trying to address it in broad terms while using the wording of the situation you gave me.

But as you say, "that's hardly the point." What is the point, then? To the general idea, that is. Does it have anything resembling a valid point? Or is its sole purpose to sound cool when coming from the mouths of excellent actors?

Volf99 said:
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Volf99 said:
Wait, what? Hang on, what are you trying to achieve? Your analogy was about spontaneously threatening someone's life, not showing them a particularly scary piece of fiction.

Look, mate, I doubt you have a very high opinion of me (especially after getting this far into my response), but you're diminishing your own work with this sort of comparison. Any retard can put a knife to someone's throat for some backwards reasoning about human nature. But what you're trying to achieve is an art, and you're only insulting yourself by thinking less of it.

Was John Carpenter just trying to freak people out when he made The Thing? Does Stephen King only write because he gets off on the terrified whimpers of his readers? Of course not. Don't sell yourself short like this.

Besides, you're not getting revenge for jack shit. Do you think that the people going to a horror movie don't actually like being scared? That'd be like trying to get revenge on a hobo by throwing sheafs of dollar bills at him. Sure, they might have a little heft to them, and maybe annoy him momentarily, but then he's left with exactly what he wanted.
what the hell is going on? I've never been on this thread before! Did my account get hacked?

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Volf99 said:
what the hell is going on? I've never been on this thread before! Did my account get hacked?
Hm? Ah, balls. That's what I get for replying to two messages simultaneously.

Sorry, mate. I accidentally pasted your name in the quote brackets instead of his. I'll change it for appearance's sake, but you're not having account problems. It was just an error on my part.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Char-Nobyl said:
Volf99 said:
Hm? Ah, balls. That's what I get for replying to two messages simultaneously.

Sorry, mate. I accidentally pasted your name in the quote brackets instead of his. I'll change it for appearance's sake, but you're not having account problems. It was just an error on my part.
lol, oh ok. No worries.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
Doclector said:
yes, often. yet I'm lawful good, just a severe misanthrope and cynic, and everyone who goes against me is evil. everyone else seems to keep there distance, as I'm socially awkward.