Everquest II Could Face Its Own Cataclysm

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
It's less what Blizzard does but the fact that they make it good.
Just making some shitty cataclysm for EQ2 won't do...

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
I actually like the idea of an evolving world via expansions, versus the "let's just add more land" model. In this way, it keeps things new and still limits the land available to quest in. Look back at EQ and how much land they added in, including the planes. By the time I was convinced to try it, most everyone was out in the planes - everything else was empty.

ghstbearx

Sep 22, 2009
Yvl9921 said:
Wait... What? The whole point of EQ2 was that the EQ world had been destroyed by a cataclysm! YOU CAN'T DOUBLE DIP CATACLYSMS LIKE THAT.
i was logging on to say the same exact thing, EQ2 was already formed from a "cataclysm".

ChocoCake

Nov 23, 2008
Nexon did the same thing with Maplestory.
The Korean version went through its "cataclysm" (they call it The Big Bang) around a year ago, and now the North American version is doing the same, on the exact same date as WoW.
Funny "coincidence".

Daft Ghosty

Sep 25, 2010
My god this new guy knows nothing about Everquest. EQ2 is the old EQ lands after the world was destroyed. I've been playing EQ2 since it launched. The game still has allot of players, but they are becoming less and less over the years due to really poor expansion quality. The next expansion is the make it or break it for many of us who still play. I know most of the raiding force I'm in are looking real hard at Rift. If this next expansion is crap, then it wont be just looking any more. I have more then six years in playing EQ2 alone, and I am getting real tired of the half ass effort that we have seen as of late.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Huh, I had no idea EQ2 was still in business. You'd think with the 8 ton gorilla in the room it'd shrivel up and die like every other sub-par MMO.

pacati

Oct 4, 2010
I played EQ2 for its first 5 years. Rebooting the landscape wouldn't make the game more appealing. It's the mechanics I burnt out on: combat button mashing, class systems, stupid quests... etc.

dillirgaf

Dec 29, 2008
Circling the drain. Only thing SOE has that might be good is DC universe online. But been in beta for 3 weeks now and its only so-so.

Also i gotta agree with other people here about the double dip thing.

Although all blizzard did was change WoW. Sony decided to make a new game out of it.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Everquest II? Wut's that? Ololol

It won't help the fact that WoW will continue to stomp them. WoW's reboot is amazingly well received because after so long doing the same stuff, millions of people will like to see a change.

...I have no idea what I just said, does any of that make sense?

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
Eh. Copying WoW won't gain you any followers. You'll just get more ragers complaining about it.
I mean, they say Runescape is like WoW now, and they're about as far apart as you can get o_O

GEAR BOSS

Aug 10, 2009
I don't get it. We don't even have any sales data for cataclysm yet. Why jump the gun and decide to make a knock-off of your own with out the data to back it up?

MaVeN1337

Feb 19, 2009
Are you fucking kidding me. The whole point of Everquest 2, Is that Norrath was destroyed in a cataclysm. A concept that made it's way over to blizzard beforehand... In like 2004, Not to mention the graphics in Everquest 2 far exceed those of WoW.

This is the kind of nonsense that makes me hate world of warcraft even more, Besides the fact that a majority of the people who play it. Are under the age of 13, and have no concept of achieving anything in game, because it is all handed to you.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
More Tit-for-Tat business?
I suppose that's what we should expect in a business where absolutely nothing new or interesting ever happens.
To the point where even an in-game apocalypse means very little.

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
Ah, Everquest. Man, I used to LOVE me some EQ2.
Then my subscription ran out. I kept playing for free, making trial account after trial account, because I was 13 and didn't know better.
And then, recently, they came out with this EQ2 Extended bull... And it's pretty bad, I must say.
Now don't get me wrong. The core gameplay's still there. The graphics are all right, if a little mixed in quality. But the subscription model now is effed the hell up. I'm all for microtransactions, but in EQ2X, microtransactions are needed to unlock pretty much everything. You can't get more than 10 gold for a good chunk of the game, unless you pay extra. You can't get top-tier items, even if you're high enough level to use them, unless you pay extra.
I'm sure that the old EQ2 servers are still great and dandy, but Extended is, in my opinion, a hot mess.
Anyway, OT:
I'm on the boat with everyone who's saying "EQ2 BEGAN with a cataclysm." It's true, you know. Blizzard got there later than people think.
And well... that's about it. I don't think EQ2 will copy WoW. Their player base is dug in pretty solidly. A major shift in the world dynamics would really throw people off, maybe a little too much.