Every EA Game Will Have "Online Component" in 2011

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
EA online has the worst service ever, I can't imagine myself using this.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
Instead of ranting on here for half an hour I'll just put the articles that summarize my opinion:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/7134-Experienced-Points-Activation-Bomb
and
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/7058-Experienced-Points-I-Have-Seen-The-Future-And-it-is-Annoying

DLC is also bullshit. They need to stop stuffing online everywhere. Tech is prone to changes, and companies are prone to sinking. EA's been sinking pretty good lately and now it seems they're trying to tie a rope around all of our necks. Also, the rope is tied to an anchor.

Andy Chalk said:
On the other hand, making an internet connection mandatory is bound to alienate a significant portion of gamers, a potentially serious downside.
This generally leads to more piracy, which is why they have all the securom, DLC and online horseshit in the first place.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Something clearly needs to be done to turn things around, but is this really it?

Not sure, EA's stock is still going down in value even after ME2's success.

Also, EA (or at least just John Ricc.) thinks that this Day 0 DLC stops piracy, when it in fact promotes it even more.

Example:

I pre-ordered the collectors edition, and bought dragon age. I got Blood Dragon Armor, Inferno Armor, Collector weapons and armor, Zaeed Missani, the Ship Crash Site, and a nice box.

A friend of mine who will not be named, torrented Mass Effect 2, all DLC weapons and armor (and he also didn't buy dragon age), and even the fucking Dr. Pepper DLC code items, along with all pre-order bonuses.

I payed 60 dollars, and got about 1/3rd of what the pirate got.

This practice is fucked up, and I supported it by buying a game new. FML

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Irridium said:
I'd rather have free DLC than DRM and securom.

But I just hope it doesn't go into "you must be online all the time". Since my connection craps out all the time, it would be very bad for me.

Otherwise like I said, between free DLC and securom, I'll take the free DLC.
Who said anything about FREE? This is Electronic Arts we're talking about here.

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
If EA keeps providing Bioware goodies, then, by all means, go nuts.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
"Shareholders are getting angry at our profits! Quick! Rip off Modern Warfare even more and charge for EVERYTHING!"

Apr 28, 2008
DarkSaber said:
Irridium said:

But I just hope it doesn't go into "you must be online all the time". Since my connection craps out all the time, it would be very bad for me.

Well, the Mass Effect 2 DLC has so far been free.
Most of the day 1 Dragon Age DLC was free.

Basically the only reason its not free is if you bought the games used.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Irridium said:
DarkSaber said:
Irridium said:

Big deal. Bring Down the Sky for Mass Effect 1 was free. The next DLC, Pinnacle Station, was not.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
DarkSaber said:
Big deal. Bring Down the Sky for Mass Effect 1 was free. The next DLC, Pinnacle Station, was not.
As an added bonus, Bring Down the Sky was good. Pinnacle Station was not.

I'm particularly getting sick of there being 18 different versions of the games available at release, between normal and collector's and digital deluxe and what-the-hell-ever editions, all of which have multiple variations depending on where you bought them from, with various combinations downloadable crap just for a single-player game. (It pisses me off to no end when music albums are released that way, too, for that matter, with different bonus tracks at each store.) Really, guys, if I'm not going to be playing online, I don't need to sign up for an account with you and have your update/authentication tool trying its hardest to stay running in my taskbar all the time (which I can pop up into a handy little disaster of clusterfuckery that lets me interact with your store/my account in a way that's an embarrassment next to something like Steam).

If anyone needs me, I'll be over here waiting a year or two for complete versions of DA:O and ME2 to come out with the full games included in one package so I don't have to deal with all that crap and can get it for a third the price.

Apr 28, 2008
DarkSaber said:
Irridium said:
DarkSaber said:
Irridium said:

Bring Down the Sky was only free for PC users. I had to pay money for it.

Earthmonger

Apple Blossoms
Feb 10, 2009
If EA plans to make MMOs exclusively in 2011, okay, I have no problem with these "online components". As a stalwart matter of principle, though, not a one of my single-player games has been or will be allowed access to the internet, ever. If I have to start paying for cracks, I will. Forcing a single-player game to be played online defeats its purpose. And if a game has too much content allocated to DLC-only availability, I simply won't buy the title.

I also hate digital distribution. I'm a physical materials collector. Games offered only as downloads might as well be platform-specific for some arcane console I'll never own.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Irridium said:
DarkSaber said:
Irridium said:
DarkSaber said:
Irridium said:

Bring Down the Sky was only free for PC users. I had to pay money for it.
That was due to Microsoft.

Beatrix

Jul 1, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
EA lost $82 million in the third quarter of the 2010 fiscal year, a substantial improvement over the $641 million it lost over the same period the previous year but still hardly what anyone would call a great success story.
That made my day :D
I hope they go down and never come back.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Im really just getting sick of having to connect to the internet to verify I bought the game in general. I dont always have an internet connection and making me verify that Im an honest paying customer just makes me want to go get a crack to stop that crap (sometimes by going to a wifi hotspot). Making all their games have online components doesnt really seem like its gonna increase sales at all.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
It's probably just DLC. Mass Effect 3 won't be having deathmatch.
4 player story mode with drop in drop out capabilities would be cool though. I would enjoy that a lot.