Everything About Marvel’s Avengers Looks Great, Except for the Actual Gameplay

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
New op-ed from Marty Sliva on the upcoming Avengers game...pretty much nobody on The Escapist staff are excited for this one. He pitched this and we're all pretty much on the same page about something just feeling off about this game and thinking it's pretty generic.

Not sure what you guys think.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah I always felt like that game looked generic as fuck. I don't think it'll be bad, but i dont think it'll be all that interesting.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
It looks like something they forgot to release 5 years ago. You can't blame them though given the insane amount of work to create something like this.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Looks like they wanted this to have something for everyone, and in doing so they created something that doesn't really appeal to anyone because all of it looks shallow and indistinct. Just a bland mash of flavours that doesn't taste of anything.

Reactions: thebobmaster

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Ok, I laughed, but you get what I mean, right. It comes off so unfocused and very designed by commitee. But not just that. Like the bigwigs all got in a meeting and the biggest wig commanded the lesser wigs to put every idea they had on the table, and biggest wig then just said yes to all of them.

Like, I only saw the video only an hour ago, and I can't remember anything that stood out to me.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I argue it doesn't look good at all.

I'm a bit of a stick in the Mud. The avengers were never my favorite team. I always hated how they were accepted but Mutants weren't.

And that's the overall feeling I got while I was watching the new trailer. This is what Mutants go through. This is why the Sentinels are here. I mean, this is almost a retelling of the (real) Civil War with Cap dead (ha) beforehand and... Dear Space Buddha, is this a way to have Iron Man be on the right side of the Civil War?

And that's just the story. Khan looks great. But that's also because we don't have an idea of how she should look due to not having decades of the 'definitive' look of the characters.

I argue they should have went around route. AIM is controlling the Avengers via... Advanced Science or whatever. They use them to rule the world. AIM enters into a contract with the Skrulls to give them the world in order to get their technology, and of course both sides are going to try to play each other. Khan, Morales, Nova, And Captain America Danielle Cage and maybe a few others form the new Avengers to break the old Avengers free, loosen AIM's grip on the world, and try to end both threats at once.

There was such opportunity here. And we get a weird looking facsimile.

Reactions: BrawlMan

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I'm getting much the same impression that I had with the Ultimate Alliance series of games. Which a fairly basic brawler concept, with the heroes just kind of offering their own reskin of attacks rather then much additional nuance or depth.

Which is prettymuch what I expected. The actual herculean task of trying to take 6-10 different powersets and stick them in a single game while doing them any kind of actual service is probably out of capability range, or at the least budget range.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It does look a lot like some free to play brawler on mobile (the games looks 10x uglier when they turn on the healthbars), but I don't think its too bad. Could be fun as a PS+ or the Xbox equivalent freebie as few years from now.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Now come on, let's not be too hasty. There's probably a better game in there once you pass the 1000th hour of mindless grind, perhaps even an exciting one once you've purchased a couple of rents worth of "timesaver" microtransactions, all the inevitable skin packs and submitted to the highest tier subscription model. Open your minds, naysayers! And by "minds" I mean "wallets" ...we're riding this gravy train all the way to the meaty convergence at the heat death of the universe!

Finish the deus ex narrative, squeenix, you god damn cowards

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I always hated how they were accepted but Mutants weren't.

The hypocripsy of society at its finest.

I argue they should have went around route. AIM is controlling the Avengers via... Advanced Science or whatever. They use them to rule the world. AIM enters into a contract with the Skrulls to give them the world in order to get their technology, and of course both sides are going to try to play each other. Khan, Morales, Nova, And Captain America Danielle Cage and maybe a few others form the new Avengers to break the old Avengers free, loosen AIM's grip on the world, and try to end both threats at once.
Your ideas sounds a million times more interesting than this game. As someone and Max_Dood pointed out, it seems like Marvel/Disney make any of their Avengers games or crossover games appeal too much or look like MCU. Thankfully, Spider-Man & Miles Morales have their unique looks, and Ultimate Alliance 3 actually looks like a colorful comic book. I honestly just rather play that over Avengers when given the choice.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
It's been 10, 12 years of the same actors playing the same roles on the big screen and to me it's just weird that everyone in the game looks a bit off and sounds a bit off. They were never gonna get the actors or their likenesses so they should've gone the other way and stylize everything past the point it looks like an unlicensed knockoff.