Evo 2014 Announced, Switches To Xbox 360

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Tanakh said:
U r crazy! Leave my Zangief alone!
Please. Ex Green Hand needs some invincibility knocked off, and he could stand to lose a little health or base damage. He doesn't need the nerf bat quite like Cammy does, but with Green Hand, he doesn't even have the "I have no gap closer" argument to fall back on.
Zangief isn't exactly well-represented in the finals lately, what's his problem? Plus I read that EX Green Hand is super punishable on block, and I'm pretty sure that it's only +1 on hit.

And why does Cody need hate? He has a couple pretty easy links for combos, plus pretty good stun and damage, but he has absolutely no wake-up game, which means characters based around knockdowns get to go nuts.

Ryu is pure fundamentals, so that's gonna vary from person to person.

The other characters are admittedly more common than I'd like, but I love Akuma anyway.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
I wonder why they don't simply run SSFIV on PC, even a super-budget-low-end one can run the game at a stable framerate with no dips. Input issues with arcade sticks perhaps? Dunno.

face_head_mouth

Sep 16, 2010
Injustice over P4A or BB

MK9 over BB or GG

TTT2 over DoA5 (the superior 3D fighter)

SFxT (Jab Fighter x Timeout) getting any love at ALL

Lot of ones I'm a little upset about.
- Persona 4 Arena was played at EVO 2013.

- To be fair, I think Mortal Kombat probably should have had something
else substituted for it (my pick would have been Skullgirls) but
Netherrealms was a big sponsor this year, so...

- Why do you prefer DoA5 to TTT2? I haven't played DoA since the 2nd one,
so I'm curious.

- I'm sure Guilty Gear and Blazblue will be getting some love over the
next couple of years, with the new games coming out.

Although it will probably never happen, I'd love it if Divekick would somehow
become a main stage tournament, just to see people lose their shit over it.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
People! People! How come I don't see any exitement about actual event in the comments?
EVO 2014! Get hyped!

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
It could also be because Sony recently announced that for the PS4 they would take legal action against anyone uploading videos to youTube. Sony has yet to clarify that statement made by an executive behind closed doors, but that would certainly scare away tournament broadcasters.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
VMK said:
How come I don't see any exitement about actual event in the comments?
Because EVO 2013 just passed and it's way too early to get hyped? That and because I guess there are about 10 fighting game fans in this forums.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Tanakh said:
VMK said:
Because EVO 2013 just passed and it's way too early to get hyped? That and because I guess there are about 10 fighting game fans in this forums.
I concur. There's a whole host of upcoming new/standard tournaments to get excited for, such as Canada Cup, Shadowloo Showdown, Season's Beatings, and Winter Brawl. Given that Evo 2014 is still roughly a year out - and nobody knows what games are on the official schedule yet - it's gonna be a little difficult to get hyped, at least before January rolls around.

And like Tanakh just said, fighting game fans are a colossal minority here on the Escapist. Basically, take fans of action games (that are not Dark Souls, mind you), and multiply it by 0.25. There's your rough approximation as to how many fighting game fans there are on these forums.

1) Yeah, P4A got played, but the announcers saying it was a "dumb weaboo game" kinda irked me. At least show some respect.
Dare I say that the more "hardcore" players within the fighting game community, such as it is, are some of the more unforgiving and hateful folk of the gaming republic at large; you simply don't here about it as much because everyone likes to pretend it doesn't exist.

So of course stupid people are gonna say that P4A is a "stupid weeaboo fighter," if only because of the art style. Before that, people said the same shit about Blazblue. And before that, they even said the same shit about Guilty Gear, if you can believe that shit.

The front page of SRK is especially notorious for having an overabundance of salt flying around (no surprise there). When MK9 ended up winning damn near all the awards in existence (including a Golden fucking Joystick), people were furious. And I think they still are to this day.

In short, you can't fix stupid.

Panthera

May 10, 2013
Tanakh said:
VMK said:
Plus the two largest attractions (that we can currently know will be there) have the issues of a new version of the game being out by then for SF4, and god only knows what kind of wackiness could pop up in UMVC3 in the next ten months, could be playing out the same way or everyone could have picked up teams with guaranteed guard breaks into touch of death on everything so the first person to put someone in blockstun is all that counts, hard to get hyped up when we have little idea how the biggest games will even be playing, and little idea of which other games will be there to begin with.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
VMK said:
People! People! How come I don't see any exitement about actual event in the comments?
EVO 2014! Get hyped!
I'm an FGC fan, but it's a little early for that.
EVO is not until next July, I mean, it's like getting Hyped for Wrestlemania in May.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
face_head_mouth said:
That and I kinda find that the FGC are largely made up of people who visited Arcades a lot back in the day so Mortal Kombat would be a name that'd mean a lot to them.
On top of that, they wouldn't drop something unless there was an extremely low turnout of players so until the FGC stops playing MK9...

face_head_mouth said:
A "Fraud Detection Warning" Chant with an EVO Crowd.
That is all. XD

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Diablo1099 said:
VMK said:
EVO 2014! Get hyped!
I'm an FGC fan, but it's a little early for that.
EVO is not until next July, I mean, it's like getting Hyped for Wrestlemania in May.
*Re-reads the news, takes look at the date*
I am a fool.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
SageRuffin said:
Dare I say that the more "hardcore" players within the fighting game community, such as it is, are some of the more unforgiving and hateful folk of the gaming republic at large; you simply don't here about it as much because everyone likes to pretend it doesn't exist.
Yeah, we have those. Fortunately we also have some of the best, more colorful commentators; I think this whole ditching the correctness and the small community size is what allow them to exist. Have you heard most commentators for DotA or SCII? Half of them are stiff and have no clue whatsoever what is happening in the game.

Panthera said:
I am confident those versions will turn out ok... well... kinda confident. And if MvC gets ported to the PC it will make my year in terms of video games! If not... well... I will need to keep that Xbox.

Diablo1099 said:
That and I kinda find that the FGC are largely made up of people who visited Arcades a lot back in the day so Mortal Kombat would be a name that'd mean a lot to them.
Dunno man, I see a LOT of kids there, and doubt those teenagers spend a lot of time at arcades seeing how they are a dying breed.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
Tanakh said:
Dunno man, I see a LOT of kids there, and doubt those teenagers spend a lot of time at arcades seeing how they are a dying breed.
Still, a lot of the older FGC Members hung out in Arcades a lot, Miles923 comes to mind and I think that guy would be late 20s-early 30s, around the same age as most players.
On top of that, Even if you never played Mortal Kombat, you know Mortal Kombat, That brand recognition ain't fading any time soon.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Diablo1099 said:
Still, a lot of the older FGC Members hung out in Arcades a lot, Miles923 comes to mind and I think that guy would be late 20s-early 30s, around the same age as most players.
On top of that, Even if you never played Mortal Kombat, you know Mortal Kombat, That brand recognition ain't fading any time soon.
One of the (few but great) advantages of living in Mexico City is that we actually have a lot of arcades still.

:3

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
Tanakh said:
One of the (few but great) advantages of living in Mexico City is that we actually have a lot of arcades still.

:3
Hey, aren't SNK games still common over there? Just when ever I look up a KOF Vid, most of the comments are in Spanish.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Tanakh said:
SageRuffin said:
Yeah, we have those. Fortunately we also have some of the best, more colorful commentators; I think this whole ditching the correctness and the small community size is what allow them to exist. Have you heard most commentators for DotA or SCII? Half of them are stiff and have no clue whatsoever what is happening in the game.
I remember that little "trial by fire" when people wanted fighting games tournaments to be held in the same regards as those featured in MLG or WCG. It was mandatory for announcers not only to wear suits and whatnot, but to also curb back the language a bit for the younger folks. Incidentally, all the effort that went in trying to "accepted" by the likes of the WCG and whatnot were for naught as literally nothing came from it.

But you wanna know what did happen from all that? Capcom, Namco, Aksys Games and a plethora of other developers came out in direct support of the people who played their games. Hell, even as much as Capcom's been fucking up in recent years, they dropped oodles of dollars in prize money for major tournaments, to the point where (South) Korean player Infiltration pocketed a good 75 grand or it last year.

Query: When you say "SCII," do you mean Starcraft?

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Ympulse said:
SageRuffin said:
Query: When you say "SCII," do you mean Starcraft?
Starcraft 2, most recent patch/expansion being implied as well.
Gotcha. I'm more familiar with "SCII" referring to Soul Calibur II (which will be dropping in a few weeks). Usually people put "SC2" for Starcraft 2.

And to answer your previous question, no I haven't heard those commentators since I know little about the games in question, and thus don't look up many videos.

face_head_mouth

Sep 16, 2010
Diablo1099 said:
face_head_mouth said:
On top of that, they wouldn't drop something unless there was an extremely low turnout of players so until the FGC stops playing MK9...
I want to make it clear that I like MK9 a lot, and I think that it should
be used as a blueprint for how to do a reboot that satisfies older players
but still brings in new fans. However:
1. This was MK9's third year at EVO. This in and of itself isn't a big deal, but...
2. MK9 had the lowest number of entrants of any game at EVO, and
3. Injustice (which had well over twice the entrants of MK9) has largely
cannibalized the pro players who were once playing MK9

Diablo1099 said:
face_head_mouth said:
A "Fraud Detection Warning" Chant with an EVO Crowd.
That is all. XD
Yeah, it's awesome when the crowd is screaming: "FRAUD! FRAUD! FRAUD!"...and even
more awesome when the fraud happens and they bring out the rubber stamp!