EVO 2020 is cancelled, and not because of COVID.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
No, it got cancelled for something MUCH worse.

EVO 2020, which was to be an online tournament in 2020, has been cancelled. Earlier, it was reported that EVO CEO Joey Cuellar was being placed on administrative leave following several accusations of sexual misconduct. Now, the event will no longer go ahead, and Cuellar will no longer be involved with EVO.

In a statement released to Twitter, it has been announced that Tony Cannon is taking over as CEO, and that he is "prioritizing greater accountability across Evo, both internally and at our events.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
0_o

Ok, I thought this would just be run-of-the-mill shitty behaviour.

Then I saw the words "with underage boys" show up and just NOOOOOOOPE, no that's way worse.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
0_o

Ok, I thought this would just be run-of-the-mill shitty behaviour.

Then I saw the words "with underage boys" show up and just NOOOOOOOPE, no that's way worse.
To be fair with everything that's going on with Twitch, Youtube and streamers, "underage boys" is rapidly becoming the run-of-the-mill behavior for these fuckers.

Aegix Drakan

Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
To be fair with everything that's going on with Twitch, Youtube and streamers, "underage boys" is rapidly becoming the run-of-the-mill behavior for these fuckers.
*retching noises*

What the actual hell is wrong with people?

Like, I already don't get why so many guys can't seem to control themselves around women, but this is one step right off a cliff. I don't get how anyone thinks THIS is acceptable.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
*retching noises*

What the actual hell is wrong with people?

Like, I already don't get why so many guys can't seem to control themselves around women, but this is one step right off a cliff. I don't get how anyone thinks THIS is acceptable.
Its pretty standard narcissistic sociopathic behavior. Complete disregard for other people as people and laws are for other people. Always remember anyone who wants to be famous is someone who thinks they deserve to be famous. Meaning in a crowd they think themselves worthy of extra attention from the crowd.
There isn't much difference between the average Twitch streamer and Donald Trump. Same morality, same ethics, same sense of entitlement.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
The FGC is in shambles are are currently eating themselves from what I can gather as the usual meet ups. People trying to find sides about who is more in the wrong but at this point just explode the whole thing.

This must be the cursed monkey paw for Skullgirls finally getting an EVO slot.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Is it 'underage boys' thats becoming run of the mill or is it 'underage something?'

Either way, kinda sucks since I was looking forward to seeing the pros play 'Them's Fightin' Herds.'

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Is it 'underage boys' thats becoming run of the mill or is it 'underage something?'

Either way, kinda sucks since I was looking forward to seeing the pros play 'Them's Fightin' Herds.'
I felt bad for TFH. That get a chance to sign on the big stage because big companies with legacy franchise can't get a fucking netcode and online stability right but you know who can an "OC please don't steal or sue us" MLP game can make this happen. I was looking forward to this EVO giving some of the small guys a shot which will suck cause they will fall back in the trap when reopening can start.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I was looking forward to EVO for Them's FIghtin' Herds, just to see people get butthurt over bronies.

Because some people STILL haven't gotten over the concept of grown men liking a cartoon meant for little girls.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I'm reminded of a controversy from 2012-ish about a guy named Aris Bakhtanian sexually harassing a female competitor at a tournament, in a gross and creepy way, I might add. He was asked about it after during an interview and said, and I quote ad verbatim:
"This is a community that’s, you know, 15 or 20-years-old and the sexual harassment is part of a culture, and if you remove that from the fighting game community, it’s not the fighting game community.”
So, combined with already having a reputation for high levels of toxicity in the FGC, I'm not really surprised that with the current climate of people coming out, a lot of shit is bubbling up to the surface.
Seems the the girls get in on it too. Recently a member of the competitive Smash scene called Puppeh came out about his sexual abuse by player Cinnpie when he was 14 (and she 24). And eh, I mean, yikes...
Fyi, not trying to detract from sexual harrasment/abuse by creepy dudes by pointing at an example of a woman doing it. If anything, more so that the problem is pervasive.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Its pretty standard narcissistic sociopathic behavior. Complete disregard for other people as people and laws are for other people. Always remember anyone who wants to be famous is someone who thinks they deserve to be famous. Meaning in a crowd they think themselves worthy of extra attention from the crowd.
There isn't much difference between the average Twitch streamer and Donald Trump. Same morality, same ethics, same sense of entitlement.
This. I was not expecting the prez of EVO be a child molester, but if the event has to be shutdown, so be it.
Because some people STILL haven't gotten over the concept of grown men liking a cartoon meant for little girls.
And that barely makes sense I've seen plenty of guys like Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, or the Powerpuff Girls (1998 original) with little to no complaints. Especially the last show. What makes these three so special, while MLP becomes the pariah? I am not even a fan of MLP.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
For the best anyways. Seems pointless to base a formal competition with I’m assuming prize money that would be riding on the reliability of some network’s ping.

Also, if child abuse was involved, hopefully he gets swift prison justice.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
And that barely makes sense I've seen plenty of guys like Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, or the Powerpuff Girls (1998 original) with little to no complaints. Especially the last show. What makes these three so special, while MLP becomes the pariah? I am not even a fan of MLP.
Fuck if I know but I still occasionally get death threats on youtube because I have a Rarity image for my avatar. Some people are just dipshits.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Fuck if I know but I still occasionally get death threats on youtube because I have a Rarity image for my avatar. Some people are just dipshits.
I bet some of the ones threatening you are closet pony fans and full of self hatred. They just can't except the fact that others like something that is, supposedly, meant for a specific gender only.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I bet some of the ones threatening you are closet pony fans and full of self hatred. They just can't except the fact that others like something that is, supposedly, meant for a specific gender only.
I don't think they have good enough taste to be closeted fans. More likely they are either 12 year old boys that are easily triggered, or 40 year old 4chan edgelords that are also easily triggered.

Aegix Drakan

Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
Oh man, me too. That game looks really neat and I honestly feel like after all the stuff they went through, they really deserve a break like ending up at Online EVO.

The fact it had to be cancelled because the CEO is a next-level perv just...Sucks.

*more retching noises*

What the actual hell is wrong with people?!

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I don't think they have good enough taste to be closeted fans. More likely they are either 12 year old boys that are easily triggered, or 40 year old 4chan edgelords that are also easily triggered.
To be fair MLP as a adult male fandom started on 4chan when some edgelords decided to watch the new show with the intent of shitting all over it and instead unironically started to like it and share it.
But yeah anyone who is still a decade behind the idea a well done show can be liked by people are never going to catch up with us.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
To be fair MLP as a adult male fandom started on 4chan when some edgelords decided to watch the new show with the intent of shitting all over it and instead unironically started to like it and share it.
But yeah anyone who is still a decade behind the idea a well done show can be liked by people are never going to catch up with us.
I thought that it got 4chans attention when a bad review for it came out that was lamenting all the commercialization and such then they started liking it.

Either way, the death threats amuse me since I like knowing I can make someone spaz out with a simple innocent image.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
What the actual hell is wrong with people?!
Like I said they're only people in the strictest sense of the word. They are humans who exist, and that's about it. They're utterly amoral, soulless voids of flesh who legitimately think other people are privileged and special to just meet them.
Celebrities as a whole are people who you don't want to meet, let alone be friends with or have a relationship with. I knew one guy growing up who made it sorta big on Youtube as a game player and he was the kid who threw firecrackers at cats, put bottle rockets in empty bottles and threw them at people, and once threw a puppy into his parent's pool to see if it could swim. Legit sociopath, tailor made for Youtube.

Last edited:

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I'm going to first talk about the FGC side of things, because it's the more petty and non-consequential side of things. I'm upset and i think companies have gotten a Hail Mary. If it was exposed on a grand scale that their netcode is crappy, they would be forced to do something about it. I'm sure a lot of companies were worrying about getting exposed.

But the problem with others getting exposed is that people can take that spotlight and shine it so brightly on them that people forget their own problems.

And that's the really petty, meaningless side.

Will the FGC be hit by this? Of course. Should Wizard get jail time? Most definitely. But this is sadly why we need movements. Why we need massive outcry over situations. Because today's society doesn't want change. It wants to be inert. Supposedly, this is a fact known by many people in the FGC (that I'm just hearing now).

If it doesn't start at the right place, go to 21:23.

People don't want to speak up about things that are going wrong. They just want to keep their head down and be on their own grind. I understand we all got our own problems. I do as well. I understand you not wanting the time you put in leveling yourself up to go to waste. That would suck.

Measure that up to the silence that allowed, by Wizard's own admission, a predator to stalk our field. All the FGC will suffer because the willful silence of those in the know.

And this is why every movement that is justified that comes my way, I'll be about. Because it benefits everyone when we all as one tackle the true issues of our world.

Last edited: