EW Reveals New Avengers NOW Team

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
EW Reveals New Avengers NOW Team

Black Captain America, female Thor, Apple-ized Iron Man, Angela and other surprises revealed in new group shot

Hot on the heels of Marvel revealing the new the new Captain America; [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.855458-Thor-Is-Getting-Gender-Flipped-Officially] Entertainment Weekly has a group-shot that purports to reveal the newest team of Avengers.

The lineup appears to include (clockwise from top-left) Bucky Barnes ("The Winter Soldier"). [http://marvel.wikia.com/Medusalith_Amaquelin_(Earth-616)]

While the reasons behind the changes to Captain America and Thor have already been revealed, much about the revamped Iron Man is still unknown. Stark's new handle being "Superior Iron Man" is an obvious reference to Superior Spider-Man, [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Superior_Spider-Man] a controversial recent storyline where Spider-Man was replaced by the villain Doctor Octopus, and Marvel EIC Alex Alonso describes the new Stark as "hard to root for." The character's new Apple-esque armor appears to be a deliberate reference, as Stark's new status-quo will see him moving shop to San Fransisco with a "vision" for the city that rankles some of the locals - possibly setting up an allegory for the political and class-conflicts that have sprung up between SF-based tech companies like Google and some residents.

Notably, Strange and Ant-Man are characters expected to see their profiles expand because of their upcoming presence in the Marvel Studios movies. Medusa and Inferno, meanwhile, are members of The Inhumans; [http://marvel.wikia.com/Inhumans_(Race)] a race of superhuman creatures some have speculated could be used to the fill the space of Mutants in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Also raising an eyebrow is the presence of Angela. Originally a Neil Gaiman-created supporting character from Todd MacFarlane's Spawn-mythos for Image Comics; she was more-or-less "gifted" to as part of an MarvelMan [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/7079-Miracle-Man] and (widely-presumed) as a thumb in the eye to MacFarlane from Gaiman.

Avengers NOW and other new titles are expected to debut in November.

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/07/16/marvels-avengers-now-captain-america-is-black-thor-is-female-iron-man-has-a-new-suit/]

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
All of my purchase.

It's a pretty big roster, with a few repeated concepts (They're doubling down on the secret agent cyborgs and mythological battle maidens) but I really want to know how they handle it.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
As an Avengers storyline, I can get into that I think. But can Marvel just shut up for about a day? My brain is kinda friend from all these announcements. They are definitely dressing up Stan Lee in his trade mark leather jacket and taking some practice passes next to the shark tank.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
So we now know that Angenla will not be FemThor. Figured as much. I mean I don't think she is really in any hurry to cover up with actually armor and dye her hair.

On a different note I am glad that Bucky is going to be back. Same with Dr. Strange. Hope they turn out well. Now are we sure this is a new Avenger's line up? It seems really off beat and strange. Maybe a new Secret Avengers due to Bucky, Deathlok, and Angela not really being good public figures.

Also Iron Man needs a paint job. All that chrome is hurting my eyes.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Wow Marvel must be really scared of the ongoing lawsuit by Jack Kirby's estate as they're getting rid of all his characters from the Avengers.

Greymanelor

May 6, 2013
This has got to be one of the weirdest damn casts I've seen in a long time.

I don't want to say that it reminds me of the Champions, but it totally reminds me of the Champions.

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
Christ allmighty, we couldn't stick with Remender's lineup a little bit?

We've seen a roster change practically every year since Bendis' Disassembled.

Often

Apr 18, 2010
youji itami said:
Wow Marvel must be really scared of the ongoing lawsuit by Jack Kirby's estate as they're getting rid of all his characters from the Avengers.
Except he helped invent Bucky, Ant-Man, Iron Man, Medusa, and Scarlet Witch... unless you're being sarcastic, in which case, my bad.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Having two warrior women (Angelina and the new Thor) seen unnecessay but I guess it couldn't hurt to have more raw power!

Also wait? "Superior" Iron Man? Did Doc Oct inhabit an Iron Man suit now? Other than him, the only one I am not familiar with is Inferno (just remind me of the Firetruck Autobot from Transformers).

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Eh, we'll see what happens. I think such a big shakeup will result in the loss of some long time fans, but maybe they'll make it up in new fans. It's useless to complain about it, though I would like to. The thing that is weird to me is not making Bucky Barnes the new Captain America. It's not like he hasn't had that roll before. I'm guess this is just part of their movement to say make everything more "diverse". It's fine, they are just fictions afterall.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
008Zulu said:
It seems like they are trying to diversify too much. You know, like they are trying too hard at it?
Yeah, seems every time I hear news from Marvel (or DC for that matter), it's always in the form of "LOOK! We're totally not racist/sexist/whatever! This hero is totally not white and/or male!"

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
SonOfVoorhees said:
So is Angela still a warrior angel in this comic or have they changed her background?
She's Thor's sister, as revealed when the Watcher's eye was activated in the current Original Sin story arc. The angels stole her from Odin in the middle of a war between the two.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Super Not Cosmo said:
I feel that Social Justice Warriors would be a more fitting title than Avengers for this team.

As for Iron Man, well with Thor being a woman and Captain America Being Black I think it is only logical to assume that Iron Man is going to be gay or maybe Marvel will really get their pander on and make Iron Man a black lesbian. Yeah, that seems about right. I'm calling it now, Iron Man is a black lesbian so Marvel can show how they have ALL the diversity.

But wait we're not done yet! Keeping with the trend it's probably a safe bet that one of the members will likely be a plushie, Doctor Strange seems like the logical choice for that. One of the women, will likely be a trans woman. Angela or Scarlett Witch will probably fill that spot. The one who isn't trans will be gender fluid and alternate between a man and a woman each issue. Deathlok is a black cyborg so he's good to go as is. Medusa totally has a dominatrix vibe going on in that picture. Let's make Ant Man the token Sherpa of the group and, what the hell, for good measure he can be bisexual too. Next is Inferno who is quite obviously flaming, and by that I mean he's on fire.

The only one left is Bucky, who will be the only straight white male of the group. He will naturally be fighting an internal battle with his crushing white guilt and be written in such a way as to have absolutely zero redeeming qualities and likely killed off each issue in a comedic fashion ala Kenny from South Park
I don't think you are going far enough. We need to represent more MINORITIES! Next time Galactus is in a story, they should make him a little person. Why make Puck a character in a story when you can make a little person one of the most powerful and ancient beings in the Marvel Universe. But other than that... you basically covered all the bases.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Remus said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
So is Angela still a warrior angel in this comic or have they changed her background?
She's Thor's sister, as revealed when the Watcher's eye was activated in the current Original Sin story arc. The angels stole her from Odin in the middle of a war between the two.
Which for the record was a horrible idea. Her being an "Angel" was kind of a huge part of her identity. Just making her a lost Asgardian was a total cop out. It's not like the Marvel Universe doesn't have Angels. It was pointless to tie her to them and she is far less interesting for it. They are just scrambling to tie everything to their most popular characters... actually reducing the diversity of the whole damn universe.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Super Not Cosmo said:
I feel that Social Justice Warriors would be a more fitting title than Avengers for this team.
I want this to happen now. Especially because I know the majority of people complaining about SOSHUL JUSTISH will buy it anyway.

Scarim Coral said:
Also wait? "Superior" Iron Man? Did Doc Oct inhabit an Iron Man suit now?
Doc Ock spread his consciousness through the internet, like Ben did.

Oh God, I really want Superior Iron Man to be Ben now.

WhiteTigerShiro said:
008Zulu said:
It seems like they are trying to diversify too much. You know, like they are trying too hard at it?
Yeah, seems every time I hear news from Marvel (or DC for that matter), it's always in the form of "LOOK! We're totally not racist/sexist/whatever! This hero is totally not white and/or male!"
I know, right? I mean, they've done like, four or five announcements. Holy crap, this is like the end of the white dude in comics!

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Why do they have to make captain america black and bring in thorita? It feels like either a massive troll or someone's smoking something. I'm a minority and even I think a black captain america is retarded as all hell. Why did stan lee agree to this? Ugh. At least the movies came out before this so they couldn't change gender and races already.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
new iron man will be "hard to root for" ya say? more so than when he backed registration and created a thor clone with reed Richards that killed another hero? i'm sorry, I know we're all supposed to love iron man because Robert downey jr. is evidently mr. charming pants but tony stark is an AHOLE. A grade A douche bag. I know every hero has done something totally awful for one arc or another so they can have controversy and a spectacle issue but stark's been kind of a dick for a while now in the comics and as much as I enjoy the iron man movies it doesn't change the comics version of him. and my god this whole apple version of all technology is going to kill me I fucking hate apple's designs everything they make looks awful. don't ruin iron man for this