EW Reveals New Avengers NOW Team

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
God this is a terrible line-up...

Beings of great magical power? Best have two of those
Cyborg secret agents? Best have two of them too
Asgardian Warrior Woman with the same personality? Best get two
Inhumans from that book f*cking no-one reads? Two of those too please
Former crooks (because Sam was 'Snap' Wilson) who went straight? Well we need a complete two

I'd say they're playing for diversity but WHAT THE F*CK IS THIS?! TWO OF EVERY ARCHETYPE?! ARE YOU F*CKING FOR REAL? GODDAMN ULTRON IS THE ONLY STANDALONE?!

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
That new Iron Man sounds cool, I mean it's like a parallel to the original Iron Man in that he was meant to be "hard to root for" in the first place.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
OK, place your bets on how long this line-up/changes will last before Avengers: Age of Ultron hits theaters!

I can partly understand how Marvel is trying to match certain elements to their Cinematic Universe but I feel all of this hoopla is another shameless cry for attention-much like the reign of Superior Spider-Man. I will not be reading any of these with the exception of She-Hulk. Money is too tight to get back into mass consumption collecting and, to be honest, I've had all I can stomach with the constant over-hype train rides companies keep pulling.

Also, if they're gonna inject Angela into the MU, could they not give her a better outfit? If you want to one-up Image and McFarlane, why not make an outfit that doesn't reek of the 90s gaudy design flaws.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Super Not Cosmo said:
Baresark said:
Super Not Cosmo said:
I feel that Social Justice Warriors would be a more fitting title than Avengers for this team.

As for Iron Man, well with Thor being a woman and Captain America Being Black I think it is only logical to assume that Iron Man is going to be gay or maybe Marvel will really get their pander on and make Iron Man a black lesbian. Yeah, that seems about right. I'm calling it now, Iron Man is a black lesbian so Marvel can show how they have ALL the diversity.

But wait we're not done yet! Keeping with the trend it's probably a safe bet that one of the members will likely be a plushie, Doctor Strange seems like the logical choice for that. One of the women, will likely be a trans woman. Angela or Scarlett Witch will probably fill that spot. The one who isn't trans will be gender fluid and alternate between a man and a woman each issue. Deathlok is a black cyborg so he's good to go as is. Medusa totally has a dominatrix vibe going on in that picture. Let's make Ant Man the token Sherpa of the group and, what the hell, for good measure he can be bisexual too. Next is Inferno who is quite obviously flaming, and by that I mean he's on fire.

The only one left is Bucky, who will be the only straight white male of the group. He will naturally be fighting an internal battle with his crushing white guilt and be written in such a way as to have absolutely zero redeeming qualities and likely killed off each issue in a comedic fashion ala Kenny from South Park
I don't think you are going far enough. We need to represent more MINORITIES! Next time Galactus is in a story, they should make him a little person. Why make Puck a character in a story when you can make a little person one of the most powerful and ancient beings in the Marvel Universe. But other than that... you basically covered all the bases.
Good point! We still need a little person, and a disabled person! Ok, Dr Strange can be both a dwarf AND a plushie and Inferno now walks with a limp. Bases covered! Diversity for the mother fucking win!
After this... this literally feels like a Marvel version of Superfriends... Include just for the sake of inclusion.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
So what's happening in in the Iron Man monthly that's going to turn him into iRon Man, and "harder to root for?" I know he's supposed to be a "jerk with a heart of gold" and he went through a lot in Fraction's run, but hasn't Marvel learned making him a hate able douchebag was a bad idea the last time they did that, Civil War?
Yeah, "Superior". Last time there was a guy like that on an Avengers team, it was Doc Ock in Spider-Man's body, and they were somehow none the wiser (a.k.a. the writer made them just dumb enough to catch on to his act).
On the plus side: looking forward to Sam Wilson as Cap, and Bucky's back on an Avengers team! I thought he'd be on the Secret Avengers by now!
btw, which team is this line up replacing? Uncanny? Mighty? Secret?

HannesPascal

Mar 1, 2008
Wait is this a new "Avengers" team replacing the old one or just another team or is it a new "New Avengers" team and replacing the old "New Avengers".

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Super Not Cosmo said:
I feel that Social Justice Warriors would be a more fitting title than Avengers for this team.
I know, right? They put in 4 females into the team - that's over 30%! Now some of their function might even be beyond a romance subplot. And don't get me started on FemThor. I mean, sure, a horse once wielded the Mjolnir, but a woman? Inconceivable! As for black Captain America, don't be too hung up about it. At least the white guys still outnumber the black guys.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Looks like a pretty solid line-up overall.

Some questions:

-Sooo, who IS female Thor?

-Are/have they explained specifically yet why Thor and Rogers are MIA yet?

-Are we going to see Sam Cap call birds to retrieve his shield after it's thrown?

-Is it possible for Doc Ock to be Superior Iron Man? I'd actually really like that considering his time in Peter's body gave him insight into being a hero (even if he's brutal about it).

-Is having two Inhumans going to connect with the Terrigen Mist dilemma that made Kamala the new Ms. Marvel? That seems like their territory.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
008Zulu said:
It seems like they are trying to diversify too much. You know, like they are trying too hard at it?
Eh, I dunno. Considering the track record of homogenized heroes, deciding to shake up the roster for one story line in a major way doesn't seem "trying too hard" to me. It just seems like "meh, let's try something really different, and see how the reception is".

I mean, given the social chatter out there about "give us a more diverse hero lineup!" it seems they're like "ok then, here you go, diversity engaged! enjoy!"

I don't read comics anymore, thanks to working in a comic shop for 2 years in the 90's *shudder*, but I'm all for branching out the story material to give more people something to enjoy and aspire to.

80sboy

May 23, 2013
Let me guess, the new Ironman is going to really be a guy in a wheelchair.
-_-

Anyone that grew up on after school specials of the 80s and 90s will know what I'm getting at.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Are these the characters they really wanted to create? Or are these the characters they were obligated to create in order to appease some PC checklist? If its the former more power to them. If its the latter that is not something we should be celebrating.

Chungus

The memes, Jack!
Mar 25, 2012
Diversity? What diversity? All I'm seeing is a great deal of red. Red and bits of grey. Thumbs up. :p

On a more serious note, I wonder if any of this will make it over to the movie 'verse. Probably not, considdering how much comics love their status quo. The only thing I'm seeing as likely is Cap. America being replaced.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Robert Marrs said:
Are these the characters they really wanted to create? Or are these the characters they were obligated to create in order to appease some PC checklist? If its the former more power to them. If its the latter that is not something we should be celebrating.
This is my problem with diversity advocaters too. I don't want to like a character because he " represents me" or to show how progressive he creators are. I just want a good game/movie/comic/book etc, where the protagonist happens to be white, black, asian, hispanic, gay, bisexual.

I don't mind diversity. But when it feels like they are doing it to appease people, then it rubs me the wrong way.

And before you guys say " I bet your a straight white male, and you have no problems since everything represents you anyway"! No, I'm black.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
LifeCharacter said:
Baresark said:
After this... this literally feels like a Marvel version of Superfriends... Include just for the sake of inclusion.
Always funny how when another straight white male character comes out, you'll get a mass of people going on and on about how it's the artist's decision and we should respect that, but come out with a black or female character, and things like artistic vision and freedom completely disappear to be replaced by whining about how this is inclusion for inclusion's sake. Apparently, artists can't choose to make anything but straight white men for artistic reasons, only cynical ones.
I don't know about you, but I have never seen anyone complain about a new white character. Do people get attacked for that? I would love to see a bunch of new characters come along of all different ethnic backgrounds, but I will always take exception when they decide to just mess with characters for the sake of "diversity". Also, Bucky is the natural selection for Captain America since he has worn the suit before. Falcon was an existing character, but they decide to just abandon any development down that route in order to make him Captain America.

My main issue is that most of these are not new character. But I'm not here to debate over a comment taken out of the context it was clearly placed in. I was having a good laugh with someone about a joke about how "everyone needs to be included".

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
"Hey Phil, what's going on?" "Ah, nothing just trying to work a new Avengers series that won't piss anyone off." "Let me get the check list for you...Let's see, have you made a character that has been a male for the last fifty years or so a female?" "Yup." "What about a character that's white, have you changed their race?" "Uhuh." "Okay, have you made the character that's rich the villain and put an oh he's rich he must be a jerk stereotype on?" "You betcha." "We're going to be so rich!"

The Thor-Girl thing is meh, if I recall they did it in the seventies and it didn't work. Blacktain America works I guess since it was Falcon and assuming this is after the Civil War saga. But it does just seem like a giant publicity stunt to appease people.