Ex-Vigil Studio Head to Bid on Darksiders IP

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Ex-Vigil Studio Head to Bid on Darksiders IP

Crytek USA Corp wants to see Darksiders "at home with its creators."

In the wake of THQ's demise earlier this year, some studios and IPs found homes with new publishers, but not all were so lucky. One of the casualties was Darksiders developer Vigil Games, which soon found themselves at Crytek's new Austin studio [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121685-Darksiders-Studio-Will-Close], run by former Vigil studio head David Adams. After taking a couple of months to get settled, Adams has announced his intention to bid on the Darksiders IP, declaring that "it belongs at home with its creators."

Adams broadcasted the news Destructoid [https://twitter.com/DadamsDavid/status/316915558362804224], stating, "When the Darksiders IP goes up for auction, Crytek will be bidding for it... Not much more to say since the rest is left up to courts and legal shenanigans, but we're all excited at the prospect." When Crytek USA Corp formed earlier this year with Adams at the helm, a representative stated that "Crytek USA won't work on a new Darksiders game," adding "it is too early to share any future plans" for the studio.

THQ's demise was sad for the industry, but the silver lining is that many of its developers, along with the games they were working on, have found new publishers. I don't know what it feels like to work on a franchise for seven years only to have it slip away, but I can't imagine it's pleasant; best of luck to Adams in his quest to acquire Darksiders and, presumably, keep the IP alive. We'll be keeping an eye on this and all of the THQ properties that are still up for grabs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122393-THQ-Auctions-Off-Remaining-IPs], and we'll keep you posted.

Source: Polygon [http://www.destructoid.com/crytek-usa-plans-to-buy-the-darksiders-license-249890.phtml]

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
Outcome 1: Crytek buys it, nothing interesting happens because they are F2P focused.

Outcome 2: Platinum(I hear they are bidding) buys it, makes awesome game, no PC port. So I'm screwed.

Outcome 3: EA buys it, everyone commits mass suicide.

GOD DAMNIT.

(I know there's a much better and realistic outcome. I just have no idea what it is)

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Anathrax said:
Outcome 1: Crytek buys it, nothing interesting happens because they are F2P focused.

Outcome 2: Platinum(I hear they are bidding) buys it, makes awesome game, no PC port. So I'm screwed.

GOD DAMNIT.

(I know there's a much better and realistic outcome. I just have no idea what it is)

But if Platinum buys it, wouldn't they be more inclined to make it all action with very little exploration/puzzles and such, basically the Zelda elements of Darksiders and make it more like Bayonetta?

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
Korten12 said:
Anathrax said:

GOD DAMNIT.

But if Platinum buys it, wouldn't they be more inclined to make it all action with very little exploration/puzzles and such, basically the Zelda elements of Darksiders and make it more like Bayonetta?
Here's what I'm thinking. I've always said that each game of the series has it's thing. The first was a straight up action game, the second was a more dungeon-y and RPG-y(or something) game. I'm thinking, the third will be about strife, who has his dual pistols. So it'll be more of a TPS, which(according to many people who praised the hell out of vanquish) Platinum has pulled off greatly.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Korten12 said:
Anathrax said:

GOD DAMNIT.

Platinum are made up by a load of guys that were at Clover that made Okami, a game that some have described as a better Zelda game than the Zelda games. so I'm sure they'd be fine with the Zelda-esque parts of Darksiders.

Anyway, as harsh as this sounds, I wouldn't want it to go to Crytek even with the actual creator there, as I feel Platinum could do a really awesome job with the Darksiders franchise.

Apr 28, 2008
Anathrax said:

GOD DAMNIT.

EA's in the crapper financially-wise, and Darksiders 2 didn't do so well sales-wise, so I really doubt they'd try buying it. So at least that outcome is unlikely.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Well there's a slight piece of hope.
Really liked the games, hope they'd be able to make 2 more (one for each rider) which would be slighly more awesome than their predecessors.
*fingers crossed*

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I would rather the original creators have it then Platinum, because Vigil had the full vision of how things go on from here, and if they are investing money I really doubt this would be put on ice afterwards.

Platinum does make cool games however so far it was all about spectacle combat stuff and with Darksiders that is the lesser part of it.