Examples of how Feminism works to benefit men

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
I know; you are so sick of Feminism threads on here. But this thread comes with a few rules; because I made it to answer a very simple question (one which I have asked before and still await an answer to). This isn?t a thread to discuss which gender has it worse, or to spread false statistical data, or talk about the many double standards the genders face. This also isn?t a thread to discuss your opinionated definition of the word Feminism or stereotypical generalizations about each gender. No, none of that will be taking place here, and I?m going to make myself perfectly clear?

?I will report anyone derailing this thread in anyway? off handed comments toward the existence of another gender thread, pure unadulterated bitching about women or men, or getting into heating arguments about the aforementioned discussion topics. It will ALL be reported, no questions asked.

* Your participation in this thread assumes the following; that you accept the position that Feminism is a movement dedicated to equality of the sexes.

* With that understanding, here is the discussion; I would like to see evidence of Feminist actions that intentionally benefit men.

Let?s take a moment to discuss the difference between an action and an argument. An argument can be made that certain feminist actions may directly or indirectly affect men in a positive way. There is the argument that the patriarchy harms men as well. But a further argument needs to explain how it harms men, and a further argument then how it?s going to be corrected. And of course, an argument can be made to how it?s not going to happen the way it?s initially argued. See the difference? An action is an argument made manifest with the intention of supporting its original position. You can say your actions will benefit me, but I want to see evidence for how it does, not merely your argument in the ways in which it could.

I made a distinction with ?intentions? behind the actions, because I feel there is a difference between serving your own interests first and serving the interests of all. I?m willing to accept both, but I?m certainly more interested in those which are not simply the result of beneficial fault out. It?s easy to question the validity of equality when the service seems to be catering to a single side of the coin.

Your examples can certainly be personal, but I prefer to see some kind of documentation; a website, article, video, etc, detailing the actions of a self proclaimed Feminist seeking to intentionally assist men in some fashion through action, not merely argument. This could be political, social, financial, etc.

The purpose of course being to support the position assumed by the participation in the thread. I did not make this thread to prove the failure of Feminism in its efforts toward gender equality, but as a way for them to demonstrate how they are working toward it. At the very least, it would provide something for the many detractors of the movement to consider and give a fresh perspective for those at the Escapist. I eagerly await replies.

Dec 14, 2009
DevilWithaHalo said:
off handed comments toward the existence of another gender thread,
You do know that isn't a reportable offence right? And doing so would be an abuse of the report function, which is against the rules.

Ironic huh?

OT: Feminism benefits men because, as a man, I want to live in a world of equality.

It also means that my fiancee can earn the same potential money I can and then I can be a man of leisure.

Win!

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
I'll start out with the easy one - the fact that we don't bar women from most professions for no real reason any more means that in the aggregate we have a larger and more productive economy, which in the aggregate means we all have access to a level of economic development that wouldn't exist otherwise [http://www.financialtaskforce.org/2012/03/08/investing-in-women-is-an-economic-imperative/] and on the smaller scale means more of us menfolks get to benefit from double incomes [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxFGhQsaSwI]. When we deal with the glass ceiling, our country will have an even better pool of talent to draw from for top positions. [http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/75/Atlas_New_York.JPG]

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Men with feminist partners report both more stable relationships and greater sexual satisfaction. At least, according to a survey of about 500 people done by Rutgers University. Rudman LA & Phelan JE (2007). The interpersonal power of feminism: is feminism good for romantic relationships? Sex Roles (DOI 10.1007/s11199-007-9319-9)

Anyway, advice for you: don't threaten away everyone who might respond to your thread with reports. Kinda puts someone off posting...

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
err....I can see the intent but....actions that benefit a group do not equate to desire to benefit that group. All i have to do to debunk that theory is to point to the symbiotic relationship between war and medicine and how the two feed off of each other.

or put it another way, a person with bad intentions can do acts of good and vice versa. Hell, even the KKK has probably done something to accidentally benefit blacks even though that was neither their desire nor intention, doesnt redeem that organization. And no, im not comparing KKK to feminism.

I am sure there are examples of feminism actions both benefiting and detracting from men.

Hjalmar Fryklund

May 22, 2008
Well, I will stick to one for now.

In Sweden where I live (and possibly the whole western world too, but I don't want to use a broad brush now) women in the past came from essentially two sexual camps: The good girls and the bad girls.

The good girls had, due to peer pressure and societal norms, been forced to deny their own sexuality so much that they were, in effect, mentally stunted and handicapped and had no chance ever to be proper lovers.

The bad girls were out of line because of their active sex lives and were viewed as deserving of pain and punishment for it. Suffering, including getting raped and involuntarily abused during sex was seen as their just due.

A man having a good, loving and consensual sex life with a woman was pretty much a dream and would probably still have been, if not for feminism´s criticism of social norms.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Does Feminism have to benefit men?

Feminism is aimed at women. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with limiting the focus of a movement in order to better achieve your desired effect.

Saying Feminism has to benefit men is like saying that the LGBT movement has to benefit Heterosexuals. That organisations fighting hunger and poverty also have to benefit the fat and rich.

The entire point of a focussed movement is to focus attention on a specific set of problems so that the biggest results can be achieved in the shortest amount of time. It's not to dilute that focus and tackle so many problems at once that nothing gets achieved. Small steps.

Feminism just has to make sure it doesn't harm men. And should men benefit as a side-effect from Feminism then that's great! But that's not the purpose of the movement and it shouldn't be.

Having one unified "All genders and races equal whilst getting rid of world hunger and curing cancer too!" movement sounds great in theory. But in practice it won't work. It's too diffuse, it gives people nothing to directly relate too, it tackles far too many problems at once.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hagi said:
Does Feminism have to benefit men?

Feminism is aimed at women. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with limiting the focus of a movement in order to better achieve your desired effect.

Saying Feminism has to benefit men is like saying that the LGBT movement has to benefit Heterosexuals. That organisations fighting hunger and poverty also have to benefit the fat and rich.

The entire point of a focussed movement is to focus attention on a specific set of problems so that the biggest results can be achieved in the shortest amount of time. It's not to dilute that focus and tackle so many problems at once that nothing gets achieved. Small steps.

Feminism just has to make sure it doesn't harm men. And should men benefit as a side-effect from Feminism then that's great! But that's not the purpose of the movement and it shouldn't be.

Having one unified "All genders and races equal whilst getting rid of world hunger and curing cancer too!" movement sounds great in theory. But in practice it won't work. It's too diffuse, it gives people nothing to directly relate too, it tackles far too many problems at once.
I agree with you 100% on that, but I would say that even if it's not the intent, those movements have to benefit others. It might jsut be a side effect, but its inseperable from the benefits for women.

Getting rid of arbitrary gender norms, for example, benefits both genders. Having the most qualified person for the job, regardless of gender, is more or less in everyone's best interests. Yeah, you'll get the odd male who won't be able to unfairly hold the position, but complaints about incompetent people in the workforce (especially bosses) are universal.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
DevilWithaHalo said:
You do know that isn't a reportable offence right? And doing so would be an abuse of the report function, which is against the rules.

Ironic huh?

OT: Feminism benefits men because, as a man, I want to live in a world of equality.

It also means that my fiancee can earn the same potential money I can and then I can be a man of leisure.

Win!
Well shit Daystar, that's a record even for you. Winning on the first post? Jesus.

OT - What he said.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Jiggy said:
Thus far, with Hagi being the latest poster as I write this, nobody has actually fulfilled what the OP is asking for.
My apologies,

I was unaware that the purpose of a forum was to tell the OP what he wanted to hear. I was under the mistaken impression that the purpose was to exchange thoughts and opinions on the subject raised in the OP, whether those opinions fulfil what the OP is asking for or not.

In the future I will ensure that my replies fulfil exactly what the OP is asking for.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
DevilWithaHalo said:
?I will report anyone derailing this thread in anyway?
Good for you, bro. Unless someone is actively breaking the rules of the forum no one is going to care. The report isn't a magic 'suspend that user' button. A mod actually reads the post in question and uses the little grey cells to determine whether or not it actually breaches forum guidelines.

* Your participation in this thread assumes the following; that you accept the position that Feminism is a movement dedicated to equality of the sexes.
Ack, sorry, gonna have to stop you there. Classical feminism was a movement dedicated to equality. Modern feminism is a movement dedicated to taking offense over minor, trivial things.

"Ico has to hold her hand through the game, that means the designer felt women all need their hands held you SEXIST!"

* With that understanding, here is the discussion; I would like to see evidence of Feminist actions that intentionally benefit men.
I don't want their actions to benefit me, to be honest. Not unless they're going to send me pizza. I'd be onboard with that.

There is the argument that the patriarchy harms men as well.
I phoned the local chapter of the patriarchy and they assure me that they do not, have not, and will never endorse the intentional harming of any sapient ape with a penis.

Frankly, I think you're just reinforcing the idea that feminists are touchy, sensitive whiners who can't take criticism. You're threatening to censor dissent. Cry me a river, Princess. Equality doesn't mean you get to veto posts you disagree with.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
As said many times, you can't make up your own rules and assume the mods will follow suit. Derailing a thread, to my knowledge, is in no way against the rules. Also, it kind of puts people off posting if you threaten them. Just a heads up.

DevilWithaHalo said:
What if we think that's stupid, though?

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
DevilWithaHalo said:

Ironic huh?
I think he's going to report you for that, stay on topic daystar :mad:
Oh shit, I think he's going to report me now too D:

I would have to agree with you though. It can help straight married couples have enough money to live comfortably :D!

Madmonk12345

Jun 14, 2012
A better way to handle arguing on feminism would have been to, say, create another thread in, say, R & P specifically for such discussion and redirecting people to that thread if they wish to argue about feminism. While such arguements tend to be unpleasant to read for some, they aren't going away any time soon and providing a place for such arguments to occur outside of the current thread allows feminism to be discussed without such arguments for people who don't want to read them, and with them for those that do.

OT: The problem with having to bring up specific actions performed by feminism that would be relevant to modern feminism is that the things that feminism
currently fights have yet to vanish and still exist. We haven't made much ground as of late, in all honesty, except in creating the belief that it disappeared a long tIme ago and isn't anything to worry about. We don't have the public's attention.

I'd be happy to be wrong about this however.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Feminism benefits me because it teaches me to steer clear of women who have Tumblr accounts.

Ho Ho, silly feminists and their aspirations to be taken seriously.