Examples of non romantic male female

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Chris Redfield and any female character he's teamed up with in Resident Evil. And considering the attractive and interesting women he often finds himself teamed up with, I really wonder if one day Capcom's going to say Chris is either gay or asexual.

FriendlyFyre

Aug 7, 2013
It's a little sobering to realize that non-romantic examples don't leap immediately to mind the way couples do.
But I guess that is sort of the consequence of love being more memorable then friendship, at least in most stories.

Faith Lehane and The Major of Sunnyville were an interesting pair, though that was more of a father-daughter/student-teacher relationship. Buffy and Giles though were basically friends as well...

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Arya and Gendry in Game of Thrones (the show). Gendry was given way bigger a role in the series than in the books.
Farnese and Serpico from Berserk. Granted, they're half siblings, but the other one doesn't even know, and the other is almost emotionally dead.
Barristan Selmy and Daenerys have some pretty sweet dynamics in A Dance of Dragons, and at no point is any of it even hinting at any romantic interest from either side.
Harry and Hermione from Harry Potter.
Mustang and Hawkeye from FMA: Brotherhood had a relationship that occasionally hinted towards a romance, but it never becomes that.
Holy Shit, almost forgot about Brienne and Jaime in ASOIAF. That's probably my favorite entry on this list.

2HF

May 24, 2011
Faye Valentine and any male in the Cowboy Bebop universe other than that one dude from that one time.

Spike only had eyes for Julia. Jet only had eyes for his bonzai.

Also the main characters from Samurai Champloo.

WhitbyDragon

Jul 15, 2013
*looks at shelf for inspiration*

Does it count if they leave it unclear? DMC-Devil May Cry, Enslaved Odyssey to the West, Half Life 2 onwards (if my portrayal of Gordon is anything like the publishers idea, he loves Alex's Arse).

A cheep way of keeping your attention, will they/won't they and never resolving it.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
FriendlyFyre said:
It's a little sobering to realize that non-romantic examples don't leap immediately to mind the way couples do.
But I guess that is sort of the consequence of love being more memorable then friendship, at least in most stories.
It's also because a lot of the time the female character is there to be the love-interest. And if it's just presented as friendship, people will assume they are romantically involved anyway.

Most Male/Female combos in Resident Evil are not romantic. Claire/Steve is, but mostly they aren't.

Also, I loved the friendship of Lynne and Sissel in Ghost Trick. Don't know if it counts, you know, since one of them is a ghost.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Motoko Kusanagi and Bato from Ghost in the Shell
ehh, idk, there's some scenes where you can kinda tell Bato's into Motoko, *spoiler* scene not included. At least, that's the general vibe I got from it. I might be projecting, of course.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
freaper said:
Scarim Coral said:
Motoko Kusanagi and Bato from Ghost in the Shell
ehh, idk, there's some scenes where you can kinda tell Bato's into Motoko, *spoiler* scene not included. At least, that's the general vibe I got from it. I might be projecting, of course.
Now I think about that is true (Bato does hold some feeling for the Major in a few scene especially that hug in SAC). Does this thread means it has to be ZERO romantic interests at all?

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Jolly Co-operator said:
Shizuo and Celty from the Durarara anime. They frequently confide in each other and spend time together, but it never even teases a romance, at least not one that I can remember.
I think that's because they were too busy implying that Shizuo and Izaya(?) had a romance :p

But put me down as another vote for this.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
lord.jeff said:
Pretty simple question within games/movies/books/comics how many close, fleshed out relationships can you think of between a man and a woman that refrain from building into a romance at any point?
The Doctor and Donna Noble in Doctor Who were a great teamup. They were more like brother and sister--bickering with each other, sassing each other, but still enjoying each other's company and deeply caring for one another.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Jolly Co-operator said:
Shizuo and Celty from the Durarara anime. They frequently confide in each other and spend time together, but it never even teases a romance, at least not one that I can remember.
I'm pretty sure I remember a LOT of romance being teased between them. In fact, at the end:

Didn't Shizuo propose to Celty?

EDIT: Never mind, that was [another character I won't spoil]. My bad~

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
bartholen said:
Farnese and Serpico from Berserk. Granted, they're half siblings, but the other one doesn't even know, and the other is almost emotionally dead.
Eh, I wouldn't say that.

There's definately a near romantic something or other between those two. Especially during the fashback where we see them meet and grow up together. It has the tellings of being an impossible and very self-destructive one, but that kind of relationship is still there.
Morsomk said:
Ohh damn, just remembered. Okami! Amaterasu and Issun.
I would think a romantic relationship between those two would be more than just a little awkward.

OT: Am I the first to shout out Mulder and Scully? And this is factoring in that I don't even really like the show at all.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
I'm assuming we're excluding family/family-like relationships? That would make it a bit easier.

The only ones I can think of are when females are in police/military units and its a working relationship and a friendship. Like SWAT or the Kingdom. Honestly, other then that I've got nothing. I'm pretty sure if I went through my books and movies I'd find some, but they're aren't many.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Also, relationships in One Piece are just nakama-ship or whatever and adventure. True, Sanji may be attracted to every woman ever, but I still hesitate to call even those relationships 'romantic'.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Spongebob and Sandy. I don't think there's been a single episode where Spongebob even thinks about love or dating (at least for himself).

Toy Master Typhus

Oct 20, 2011
Angie7F said:
Higurashi has many female characters but somehow none of them develop into a romantic relationship.
But most of them want keichi's nuts so that really isn't the same. Just because they aren't in a relationship a gf/bf relationship doesn't mean one of them isn't there for the perposes of romance. I think we are just going for strickly plutonic on both sides in this thread.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Was stuck on this question for a while, looked around my room and saw a Fairy Tail poster.

Erza with everyone besides Jerral, or whatever the hell his name is, is just friends with Natsu and Grey. Lucy is pretty much the same with them two as well.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Several instances from the Ace Attorney series (I'm just gonna be throwing out general series spoilers, so just read at your own risk)

Phoenix and Mia: She may have become a romantic interest if she hadn't...y'know...died in the 2nd case of the first game (which is actually like the 5th or 6th case in overall continuity) but even when she comes back through channeling, Mia never seems to be presented as a love interest. She has always been shown as his mentor.

Phoenix and Maya: Now there is a lot of arguments about this one, as this is the woman Phoenix spends most of his time with, and of course her cousin Pearl has deemed them to be lovebirds, but the game itself never really showcases that. If either of these characters are romantically attracted to one another, it has never really shown (the closest being the easter egg of them on a boat together in Ace Attorney Investigations, but Pearl is with them so it's probably not a date so much as a family outing)

Phoenix and Ema: Now this one is a bit tricky. Admittedly the only time we've seen them actually together she's still underage so it would've been weird to have any romantic build-up there. When we do see Ema all grown up in Apollo Justice, she does comment about how much she was hoping to see Phoenix again. Arguments could be made either way if maybe she had a thing for him, but again, the game itself never really showcases any romance on either of their parts.

Apollo and Trucy: I'll admit, when playing Apollo Justice for the first time, I really thought this was going to be a case of these two falling in love and hooking up...but I was wrong. Throughout most of the game they just have a very strong brother/sister type relationship...this probably comes from the end of the game revealing that they are indeed brother and sister. So I dunno if that eliminates them from this topic, but I feel it's worth noting.

Miles and Kay: Again, this kinda goes back to Phoenix and Ema where Kay is an underage girl the only time we really see these two characters together, so it's entirely possible this could be changed in the future, but still, no romance here.

So yeah, so many male/female partnerships in that series have not been about romance in any way, shape, or form. I dunno if perhaps Phoenix and Athena will change this up, but I don't think they will.

Also while not an Ace Attorney thing, I'd like to point out Alfendi Layton and Lucy Baker from Layton Brothers for iOS. I'm not all the way through the game yet, but there doesn't seem to be any romance between these two characters either.