Excitebike: World Rally Hitting WiiWare November 9

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Excitebike: World Rally Hitting WiiWare November 9

A new retro-styled Excitebike title is coming to WiiWare soon, though it was announced through a strange venue.

If you've never seen a Nintendo Week video on the Nintendo Wii channel, it's probably because you don't enjoy watching absolute crap. But, the Nintendo Week video for October 26 contained an interesting WiiWare game announcement that almost made me not want to annihilate everyone involved with the series' production: Excitebike: World Rally.

Excitebike: World Rally is a 3D-ish version of the Nintendo Entertainment System's Excitebike and will be released on November 9. The gameplay looks very similar to the original, though multiple camera angles are shown and it appears that you get bonuses for good landings and tricks such as wheelie jumps while trying to beat the best time on each course. Excitebike was very simple fun on the NES; bringing that back on the Wii could end up being bigger successes than ExciteTruck or ExciteBots, both of which were good games that just didn't seem to click with an audience.

The seemingly nice enough actors in the Nintendo Week video that I sort of want to punch anyway also revealed that we will be able to play with either motion controls or classic controls, that a track editor will return in World Rally, and that there will even be online multiplayer. The rest of the video is available on YouTube here [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF7A_6jctw8], though you have been warned. There is also little bit of info on WiiWare's upcoming Castlevania: Rebirth and a Nintendo DS title called COP: The Recruit that might have something to it, but I wouldn't put the video at the top of my list of ways to find about about those two games. I know it has to be kid friendly, but that doesn't mean it has to be awful.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Funny. The Nintendo rep told me about this long before they posted this video.

Damn WiiWare. You have so many good titles and I don't have enough Wii Points.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
game looks kinda crap but i will have to check this show out because i have nintendo channel and hate how most nintendo games get put to the side in most gaming news

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
The game looks pretty good course that could be the nostalgia talking, cause I loved the old one.

But god damn, were those announcers annoying, reminds me of the supposed "family friendly funny" stuff that you used to find on "variety hour" type shows.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
The game looks pretty good course that could be the nostalgia talking, cause I loved the old one.

But god damn, were those announcers annoying, reminds me of the supposed "family friendly funny" stuff that you used to find on "variety hour" type shows.
Like in ESPN right? God do my parents hate that.

ConnorCool

Master Assassin
Apr 23, 2009
at about the 50 second mark, the guy looks to the side briefly and looks genuinely scared about something. I wonder what it is...

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
ConnorCool said:
at about the 50 second mark, the guy looks to the side briefly and looks genuinely scared about something. I wonder what it is...
I noticed that too, he's obviously got a weapon aimed at him. Why else would you be in one of those videos.

Mazty said:
This kind of game makes me sad - why on earth were more advanced processors and gpus made when people just want to play archaic retro-junk? =(
Seriously? Excitebike is retro-junk? It's retro, but it's also one of the best NES games, just a really cool, simple gameplay idea.