EXCLUSIVE: Dark Horse Books Announces Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw's Debut Novel, Mogworld

Jordan Deam

New member
Jan 11, 2008
697
0
0
EXCLUSIVE: Dark Horse Books Announces Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw's Debut Novel, Mogworld


Publisher Dark Horse Books has announced Mogworld, the debut novel of The Escapist's Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw.

If you're impressed by the amount of humor that Zero Punctuation's Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw can cram into a five-minute video, then brace yourself: Croshaw is currently writing a full-length novel to be published by Dark Horse Books. Set for release in August of 2010, Mogworld tells the story of Jim, a minor MMORPG character who dies in a magic-school accident, only to be reanimated 60 years later by a renegade necromancer.

Dark Horse Books made this announcement in conjunction with Croshaw's first stateside appearance at Philadelphia's GameX this weekend, where he'll be presenting never-before-seen Zero Punctuation footage, signing autographs and mingling with fans. If you're within driving distance, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

Here's the full press release:


OCTOBER 23, MILWAUKIE, OR -- Coming soon from Dark Horse Books: Critical sensation Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw (The Escapist's Zero Punctuation Reviews) brings his signature acerbic wit to his debut novel, Mogworld.

Mogworld, a comedic fantasy novel with a twist, is the story of Jim, who, sixty years after dying in a magic-school mishap, is wrenched back to life by a renegade necromancer. All Jim wants is to die properly, once and for all - no easy task for a minor character in a MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game).

Croshaw's animated Zero Punctuation reviews, which package prescient criticism with frenetic animation, off-color humor, and rapid-fire delivery, have made him a household name in the gaming community. Although Croshaw has covered a lot of creative and critical ground in his short career-before Zero Punctuation, he gained a reputation as an independent game designer and blogger, and he recently produced the pilot for a TV series, Game Damage - Mogworld is his first foray into published fiction.

"I love Zero Punctuation, and I had asked Yahtzee to pitch us a book about video games," explains Mogworld editor Rachel Edidin. "The last thing I expected was a novel draft! And the next thing I knew, I was taking the manuscript home with me-less to finish it than because I had to see what happened next."

Says Croshaw, "I've been trying to write novels ever since I first read Hitchhiker's Guide at the age of eight, so this is a pretty big deal for me, and I'm very happy to be working with Dark Horse on this. Mogworld is an idea I've been kicking around ever since those dark, unproductive three months I spent playing World of Warcraft. It's a bit of a cynical take on MMOs and the standard Tolkienesque 'fantasy' setting."

Mogworld is announced in conjunction with Croshaw's first stateside appearance at this weekend's GameX show in Philadelphia. Mogworld is set to arrive on shelves in August 2010.



Permalink
 

DuplicateValue

New member
Jun 25, 2009
3,748
0
0
Well I thought the novel he published on his website ("Articulate Jim: A Search For Something") was hilarious, so I have high hopes for this. =D
 

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
8,946
0
0
Sounds like we might be seeing something like a cross between Pratchett and LFGComic.

Not that that's a bad thing by any means, he'll almost certainly be making a sale out of me assuming it gets published in the UK.
 

Beatrix

New member
Jul 1, 2009
388
0
0
Oh no, there won't be any punctuation in it \:eek:/

Actually, it looks pretty awesome. I'll be keeping an eye on it.
 

Swaki

New member
Apr 15, 2009
2,015
0
0
the cover arts theme and characters looks suspiciously familiar, but im sure it will be completely different and possibly good, heres hoping it will be released in Europe within shipping distance.
 

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
3,682
0
0
I dunno about this... I'm just not sure if his writing style would work well for a novel rather than an editorial. We'll see, I guess.
 

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
9,831
0
0
Amnestic said:
Sounds like we might be seeing something like a cross between Pratchett and LFGComic.

Not that that's a bad thing by any means, he'll almost certainly be making a sale out of me assuming it gets published in the UK.
Agreed, and I love both Pratchett and Looking For Group. Personally, I'm intirgued. Although I'm quite a sci-fi reader, I do take a while to get drawn in to new series. I generally read the first book hesitantly, then if I like it I'll reread and then look at the rest of the series, or if it's a stand alone thing I'll reread if I enjoy it. Same with graphic novels (which I've only recently got into thanks to Alan Moore). So I'll probably take a hesitant look, but if it's any good then I'll definitely be getting it. Well done to Ben either way for managing this though, I can honestly say that while I'm by no means a fanboy, I am definitely jealous and wish I had Ben Croshaw's life. But yeah, well done to him and I hope it's a success :D.
 

Abedeus

New member
Sep 14, 2008
7,412
0
0
Amnestic said:
Sounds like we might be seeing something like a cross between Pratchett and LFGComic.

Not that that's a bad thing by any means, he'll almost certainly be making a sale out of me assuming it gets published in the UK.
Uhm. How could it ever be a bad thing? Pratchett is probably the best comedy writer I know.and LFG is one of the funniest web comics I know.

This is like pizza and lasagna combined to make some kind of a miracle pie.
 

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
8,946
0
0
Abedeus said:
Amnestic said:
Sounds like we might be seeing something like a cross between Pratchett and LFGComic.

Not that that's a bad thing by any means, he'll almost certainly be making a sale out of me assuming it gets published in the UK.
Uhm. How could it ever be a bad thing? Pratchett is probably the best comedy writer I know.and LFG is one of the funniest web comics I know.

This is like pizza and lasagna combined to make some kind of a miracle pie.
I dunno, when I typed it out I thought someone might take it as me saying "Oh, it's just a cross between these two series. How original." and being all sarcastic and whatnot, so I felt it needed a qualifier so there were no misunderstandings.
 

Abedeus

New member
Sep 14, 2008
7,412
0
0
Amnestic said:
Abedeus said:
Amnestic said:
Sounds like we might be seeing something like a cross between Pratchett and LFGComic.

Not that that's a bad thing by any means, he'll almost certainly be making a sale out of me assuming it gets published in the UK.
Uhm. How could it ever be a bad thing? Pratchett is probably the best comedy writer I know.and LFG is one of the funniest web comics I know.

This is like pizza and lasagna combined to make some kind of a miracle pie.
I dunno, when I typed it out I thought someone might take it as me saying "Oh, it's just a cross between these two series. How original." and being all sarcastic and whatnot, so I felt it needed a qualifier so there were no misunderstandings.
Yeah, but this is the thing - one thing to combine two things, and the other to do it well.

Why not give it a chance?
 

DuplicateValue

New member
Jun 25, 2009
3,748
0
0
Squid94 said:
Definitely getting that. Be very interesting to see how he writes.
Here's an example of his writing: http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/articulatejim.htm
It's just the kind of humour I love in a book. =]

The link's okay. I promise.
 

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
14,334
0
0
Sounds interesting, I'll have to check this out. Yahtzee sure gets around doesn't he. Wonder how he finds the time to do all that stuff, btwn playing games, reviewing games, making videos, writing articles, and now writing novels; man, I'm getting worn out just thinking about it.
 

SomethingUnrelated

New member
Aug 29, 2009
2,855
0
0
DuplicateValue said:
Squid94 said:
Definitely getting that. Be very interesting to see how he writes.
Here's an example of his writing: http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/articulatejim.htm
It's just the kind of humour I love in a book. =]

The link's okay. I promise.
That is brilliant!

Thanks mate.
 

Jordan Deam

New member
Jan 11, 2008
697
0
0
I think you can import from Dark Horse, because I remember reading that on their website after they removed my Gantz and Berserk from Onemanga. :p

If so, yay!
 

DuplicateValue

New member
Jun 25, 2009
3,748
0
0
Squid94 said:
DuplicateValue said:
Squid94 said:
Definitely getting that. Be very interesting to see how he writes.
Here's an example of his writing: http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/articulatejim.htm
It's just the kind of humour I love in a book. =]

The link's okay. I promise.
That is brilliant!

Thanks mate.
No problem. :)
I always wondered why he couldn't get it published - it's amazing and he has a huge fanbase.

I particularly like the quote things at the start of each chapter. ^^
 

SomethingUnrelated

New member
Aug 29, 2009
2,855
0
0
DuplicateValue said:
Squid94 said:
DuplicateValue said:
Squid94 said:
Definitely getting that. Be very interesting to see how he writes.
Here's an example of his writing: http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/articulatejim.htm
It's just the kind of humour I love in a book. =]

The link's okay. I promise.
That is brilliant!

Thanks mate.
No problem. :)
I always wondered why he couldn't get it published - it's amazing and he has a huge fanbase.

I particularly like the quote things at the start of each chapter. ^^
Yeah, just checked a few of them, 'n' they're great =D
 

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
1,724
0
0
Already bought, essentially. I just need to give the store my money, now.
 

Arrers

New member
Mar 4, 2009
759
0
0
I'm not so sure about this. Remember the "has halo crossed the line?" threads some people made when the halo anime was announced? Because I think I'm getting the feeling they had from this.
 

Arrers

New member
Mar 4, 2009
759
0
0
I'm not so sure about this. Remember the "has halo crossed the line?" threads some people made when the halo anime was announced? Because I think I'm getting the feeling they had from this.
 

AvsJoe

New member
May 28, 2009
9,055
0
0
I'm likely to forget about it by the time that it's released so I probably won't be purchasing it right away. But the second I see it on a bookshelf or in a comic book store I'm purchasing it! There is no way I'm going to miss this!
 

obex

Gone Gonzo ..... no ..... wait..
Jun 18, 2009
343
0
0
Arrers said:
I'm not so sure about this. Remember the "has halo crossed the line?" threads some people made when the halo anime was announced? Because I think I'm getting the feeling they had from this.
Well before yahtzee did ZP he did text heavy point and click adventurers so he has been writing longer than he has been "Talking fast into a microphone headset". An the games were solid in the writing im not saying that as a fan as those games were the first time i had herd of yahtzee so i was not a fanboy back then.
 

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
10,237
0
0
Very interesting, I'll have to remember to look it over when it comes out.
 

IrrelevantTangent

New member
Oct 4, 2008
2,424
0
0
Now this is what I call quality news!

Honestly, I keep pinching myself because I keep suspecting that I'm in some kind of daydream. But then again, my normal daydreams involve Morgan Freeman flying around on a sky bison, and I don't think there will be any sky bisons in this book, but I digress. As another poster above me has said, the best description for this is 'Looking For Group meets Terry Pratchett' and the combination's tantalizing.

I'm dismayed to hear I have to wait 'till August to get my hands on this, but rest assured, I'll be getting it then. Here's hoping Yahtzee can fuse his sense of humor with his already-demonstrated writing skills and give birth to something fantastic.
 

Skeleon

New member
Nov 2, 2007
5,410
0
0
Now, I don't know about the novel itself (the synopsis is very minuscule) but am I the only one who is reminded of Richard and his bunny, the Archmage, from Looking For Group by that cover?

EDIT: Now that I've actually looked through the whole thread, apparently not. Nevermind.
 

wikicated

New member
Jun 7, 2009
348
0
0
Amnestic said:
Sounds like we might be seeing something like a cross between Pratchett and LFGComic.

Not that that's a bad thing by any means, he'll almost certainly be making a sale out of me assuming it gets published in the UK.
professionally ninja'd
damn i was gonna say it looked like LFG
 

oppp7

New member
Aug 29, 2009
7,045
0
0
Well, there's another book that I'm going to read. I've really gotten out of reading since Wikipedia. Haven't tried anything new lately, so this should be fun.
 

Eatspeeple

New member
Jun 18, 2009
128
0
0
Directions to the nearest bookshop please!
For irony he should release it in Australia and Europe, then save the american release for a year or two later. Don't let profit get in the way of revenge!
 

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
May 6, 2020
1,820
0
0
Country
United Kingdom
Please, for god's sake, do a tour of the uk so I can get it signed, and my t-shirts too. Darren Shan delayed the American release, and all i can say is please let the Americans go without for a bit.
 

Hallow'sEve

New member
Sep 4, 2008
923
0
0
Squid94 said:
Be very interesting to see how he writes.
Agreed.
lol, what if the whole thing had ZERO PUNCTUATION?
harharhar

I dunno, I'll wait to see how funny it really is, I'm not too big a fan of fantasy books.

***AND, as worthless as these words are, Mr. Croshaw, PLEASE do not loose your head or sell yourself out.
 

Ryuk2

New member
Sep 27, 2009
766
0
0
Sound mind blowingly good. And the book cover looks like something from world of warcraft. As a Warcraft player i will love reading funny adventures of some MMORPG character in Warcraft style universe.
 

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
4,190
0
0
Yahtzee you Sneaky Man!

How can A man who...

Okay, I give up, i want this book. Not sure why, and Yahtzee, stop earning so much Money, you make me feel bad!
 

bastyaan

New member
Oct 19, 2009
8
0
0
I must buy this. I sure do hope this comes to the netherlands.

Well, if it doesnt I'll just order it online.
 

aaroncolter

New member
Oct 23, 2009
1
0
0
Hi everyone,

Dark Horse guy here. Mogworld will be available worldwide, and hopefully available for pre-sale through Amazon and Diamond Distribution before the end of the year.

-Aaron
 

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
7,131
0
0
Hum, wouldn't pin him as the book writing type. More as the journalist type. Still, It's awesome when someone actually gets a book published. Congrats to him.
 

hopeneverdies

New member
Oct 1, 2008
3,398
0
0
DuplicateValue said:
Well I thought the novel he published on his website ("Articulate Jim: A Search For Something") was hilarious, so I have high hopes for this. =D
Loved that, as well as Fog Juice. But they all feature a character named Jim. Could that also mean that Rose and Penfold make appearances?
 

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
7,840
0
0
Well Congratulations to him. I hope his book is a big hit and If I get the chance,I may pick it up and read it myself.
 

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
306
0
0
Hmmmmmm.... Addams/Pratcht meets LFG (The undead with the completely normal name and a bunny are to close to not draw that conclusion) as told by Yahtzee... Should be win. Dont know where it will be released, but if necessary I'll import it. Can't wait!
 

Jordan Deam

New member
Jan 11, 2008
697
0
0
Ultimate Collector's Edition** comes with bonus Yahtzee hat, audio tape, and night vision goggles.

**Disclaimer: This is a total fabrication.
 

Archaon6044

New member
Oct 21, 2008
645
0
0
sounds interesting, i'd like a bit more information on that book if possible. and the thought of Yahtzee migling with fans makes me chuckle. he's already made his feelings clear on such matters
 

GameGoddess101

New member
Jun 11, 2009
241
0
0
As much as I love Yahtzee, I have a feeling the only reason this will even be published is because his name is on it. Even though I have very high hopes for it, there is no doubt in my mind if nobody knew of Yahtzee, this wouldn't sell very well.

That being said, I can't wait for it to come out.
 

SomeBritishDude

New member
Nov 1, 2007
5,081
0
0
Sounds promising. Be good to see what his step into literature will be like. I'm going to keep an eye out for this, assuming it's published in the UK.
 

Dedtoo

Senior Member
Aug 28, 2009
368
0
21
I might get it. If it comes to Norway...
Also: the cover of the book reminds me of the Looking for group webcomic.
 

Georgeman

New member
Mar 2, 2009
495
0
0
o_O He always said that he wanted to write a best-selling novel. The story is interesting so this might be a good start towards fulfilling his ambition.
 

similar.squirrel

New member
Mar 28, 2009
6,021
0
0
Feeling slightly ambivalent about this. We shall wait and see, but Mr. Croshaw seems to be rapidly turning into a franchise.
 

J-Alfred

New member
Jul 28, 2009
608
0
0
Sounds interesting. I just hope that it stands on its own merits and isn't full of inside jokes about Zero Punctuation. It would still be funny, just not as impressive.
 

GenHellspawn

New member
Jan 1, 2008
1,841
0
0
For all of Yahtzee's disdain for unoriginality, it surprises me that his book would be in a medieval fantasy setting. I don't know if I'll buy it, but I'll be sure to check it out.
 

Dyp100

New member
Jul 14, 2009
898
0
0
Holy...SHIT, mother of God, a novel by Ben Yatzhee, this will be brought within the second it hits the selves, or so help me God...I WILL SUMMON UNDEAD ON YOUUU.
 

General Vagueness

New member
Feb 24, 2009
677
0
0
SirBryghtside said:
Arrers said:
I'm not so sure about this. Remember the "has halo crossed the line?" threads some people made when the halo anime was announced? Because I think I'm getting the feeling they had from this.
Yes, but that was because it was a doomed idea, like all Western Animes.

However, this is a book written by a seriously funny person.

I think this will do good, and I will buy it when it comes out here.
To go off topic for a second, all the chapters/segments/whatever were done in Japan by well-known Japanese anime studios; the only American components are the dubbed voice acting and the basic stories and what could and couldn't go into them.

To go back on topic, this sounds like World of Warcraft (or maybe more like Kingdom of Loathing), with a sprinkling of Brütal Legend, crossed with The Hopeless Endeavour [http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/features/hopeless.htm] (which is awesome), which I see as a good thing. I'd take my hat off to him if I wore one.
 

Flishiz

New member
Feb 11, 2009
882
0
0
Now that's funny. In one of his videos he talks about how MMOs are wastes of time when one could be doing things such as writing a book. Seems like he was voicing more than just a joke in that episode.
 

General Vagueness

New member
Feb 24, 2009
677
0
0
Flishiz said:
Now that's funny. In one of his videos he talks about how MMOs are wastes of time when one could be doing things such as writing a book. Seems like he was voicing more than just a joke in that episode.
Yahtzee, you crafty devil. If he announces The World Has Yet to Recognize My Genius in another few weeks or months I may slip into a coma from nerd overload and being unable to figure out how I could've missed something so obvious.
 

sln333

New member
Jun 22, 2009
401
0
0
I'm sure it'll be hilarious. He can have me rolling in a few minutes, and this will be something I can pick up at any moment and read.
 

Aqua Trenoble

New member
Mar 25, 2009
146
0
0
Funnily enough I was watching a ZP episode when I saw this and started reading it.

I don't think that this is a great idea though. I'm probably going to read it at some point, but I don't expect it to be an especially good book.

Actually it's a bit surprising to me that this book will be published since Yahtzee is famously pessimistic towards the intelligence of mankind, and only the intelligent portion of his audience will read this. Croshaw is almost certainly a complete unknown outside of the internet, so any people who don't hang out on the internet (and thus the primary audience for this and any other book) aren't going to know who this asshole is or what "author of Zero Punctuation" means.
 

Blanks

New member
Mar 17, 2009
1,203
0
0
The cover reminds me of Richard and his Rabbit from LFG

anyways, good for him ...i'd say it's worth a rental but you can't rent books so i may aswell buy it when it's released
 

Invariel

The Wizard That Did It
Apr 10, 2009
58
0
0
I fully expect this book to come out six months later in Australia than in the rest of the world... But I also expect it to be fantastic.
 

Vlane

New member
Sep 14, 2008
1,996
0
0
I might buy this one (if I can get it in austria...) but am I the only one who thinks this cover looks a bit familiar? [http://dangerousgames.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/world_of_warcraft_the_burning_crusade_pc.jpg]
 

Brett Alex

New member
Jul 22, 2008
1,397
0
0
GenHellspawn said:
For all of Yahtzee's disdain for unoriginality, it surprises me that his book would be in a medieval fantasy setting. I don't know if I'll buy it, but I'll be sure to check it out.
*Pssst* Hate to explain the joke, but I think thats the point.

The press release did describe it as a "cynical" take on the medieval fantasy setting. I'm thinking that means a kind of 'playing it straight' satire.
 

whaleswiththumbs

New member
Feb 13, 2009
1,462
0
0
DuplicateValue said:
Well I thought the novel he published on his website ("Articulate Jim: A Search For Something") was hilarious, so I have high hopes for this. =D
Cracy Yahtzee and his obsession with the common names.
 

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
756
0
0
Oh this is gold!
Yahtzee`s influence grows and grows xD
i wonder when will we see his first movie script? this is just so cool altho i got a slap in the face by his comment of wow. that bad eh. . . .

do we have a gaming prattchet in the making? :O
 

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
177
0
0
Vlane said:
I might buy this one (if I can get it in austria...) but am I the only one who thinks this cover looks a bit familiar? [http://dangerousgames.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/world_of_warcraft_the_burning_crusade_pc.jpg]
The book is a satirical look at MMOs apparently. It would make sence that the cover looks like a MMO cover.
 

Jenx

New member
Dec 5, 2007
160
0
0
To all you people out there - Yahtzee has been writing long before he started doing ZP. Just because ZP probably got him this chance doesn't mean it'll be Zero Punctuation: The Book. Just chill and let's see what it's like.

As for the generic fantasy setting - did you try reading the actual article? He said this is somewhat based on his experience with WoW.
 

Crazy_Bird

New member
Oct 21, 2009
162
0
0
TheNamlessGuy said:
I have a feeling Sweden won't import this
Nor will Germany for that matter.
I advise you to search for a comic book shop near you and normally they can get you everything you want (usually without surcharge) as long as their distributor lists it and that's practically always the case.
 
Aug 12, 2009
7,887
0
0
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 

LeonLethality

New member
Mar 10, 2009
5,810
0
0
mogworld sounds like square could be lawsuiting any minute >.> but I will buy this book when it comes out
 

cheevocabra

New member
May 23, 2009
19
0
0
I'd rather see something that expands the Chzo Mythos, but something exhibiting Yahtzee's comedic stylings would probably sell a lot better, so this makes sense.
 

TheNamlessGuy

New member
Jan 7, 2009
6,225
0
0
Crazy_Bird said:
TheNamlessGuy said:
I have a feeling Sweden won't import this
Nor will Germany for that matter.
I advise you to search for a comic book shop near you and normally they can get you everything you want (usually without surcharge) as long as their distributor lists it and that's practically always the case.
But I don't have a comic book store in the whole town
 

Diablini

New member
May 24, 2009
1,027
0
0
Me want! Me give shiny rock to have.

Oh I can't wait! I bet it will be Terry-Pratchetish, with a mix of Yahtzee's own humor. And it will kick some major ASS!
 

scifidownbeat

New member
Feb 24, 2009
1,475
0
0
So, what you're saying is, between playing video games, writing and making videos of reviews for video games, writing "Extra Punctuation," flying around in the states for various reasons, and managing his site, he's been writing a book? How long has this been going on?

Eh. The title and concept don't quite grab me.
 

Macflash

New member
Dec 29, 2007
70
0
0
I hope this book is good. I wonder how his humor and personality will tranfer into his book. Also, it'd better not have any periods.
 

Guitar Gamer

New member
Apr 12, 2009
13,337
0
0
now if I'm not mistaken; Dark horse is what made the Darkness ( the comic series) and that was one of the first games he reviewed isn't it?
I believe he said he never heard of it.
and yes, I realiz how yahtzee nerdish I sound right now
 

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
3,134
0
0
Strange. I could have sworn I've seen this plot idea been used in a game I fondly remember. Like, oh I dunno, MediEvil?
 

Greyfall

New member
Oct 2, 2009
119
0
0
Yahtzee is hilarious but I'm not sure it will work well with a novel of any real length. Prayin it does though. Pity I have to wait till August to find out...
 
Oct 2, 2009
139
0
0
Abedeus said:
Amnestic said:
Sounds like we might be seeing something like a cross between Pratchett and LFGComic.

Not that that's a bad thing by any means, he'll almost certainly be making a sale out of me assuming it gets published in the UK.
Uhm. How could it ever be a bad thing? Pratchett is probably the best comedy writer I know.and LFG is one of the funniest web comics I know.

This is like pizza and lasagna combined to make some kind of a miracle pie.
sorta like a calzone?
 

Crazy_Bird

New member
Oct 21, 2009
162
0
0
TheNamlessGuy said:
But I don't have a comic book store in the whole town
My deepest sympathies, my friend!

I guess you should be fine with Amazon; the German Amazon has almost everything in stock I want and need and I hope it's the same in Sweden.
 

Cowabungaa

New member
Feb 10, 2008
10,806
0
0
swaki said:
the cover arts theme and characters looks suspiciously familiar, but im sure it will be completely different and possibly good, heres hoping it will be released in Europe within shipping distance.
Yup, gave me a Pratchett deja-vu. And that's a good thing, because Pratchett is awesome. I hope it gets published in Europe, at least the UK, so I can import it from there.
 

DeathWyrmNexus

New member
Jan 5, 2008
1,143
0
0
My first thought was a bastardization of Richard from LFG but... I'm intrigued and hopeful about this. Can't wait to read it.
 

Abedeus

New member
Sep 14, 2008
7,412
0
0
darthcendiarygrenade said:
Abedeus said:
Amnestic said:
Sounds like we might be seeing something like a cross between Pratchett and LFGComic.

Not that that's a bad thing by any means, he'll almost certainly be making a sale out of me assuming it gets published in the UK.
Uhm. How could it ever be a bad thing? Pratchett is probably the best comedy writer I know.and LFG is one of the funniest web comics I know.

This is like pizza and lasagna combined to make some kind of a miracle pie.
sorta like a calzone?
Sort of, but with beshamel, that special lasagna pasta on top... Droool.
 

C117

New member
Aug 14, 2009
1,331
0
0
Well, at least it's worth a look. I mean, Yahtzee has a good way of telling things in his reviews, so I wouldn't be surprised if the book is absolutely HILARIOUS!
 

jboking

New member
Oct 10, 2008
2,694
0
0
I'm actually very excited for this. I've always been a bigger fan of Yahtzee's writing than his videos.
 

Distorted Stu

New member
Sep 22, 2009
4,229
0
0
I loved Fogjuice! Im lookign forwards ot this! (I wish i could get my hands on a hard-copy of Fogjuice, great reading for travels and toilet visits).
 

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
5,477
0
0
Congrats Mr. Croshaw on getting a publishing deal and for writing & finishing a book.

Now, if only I could get something of mine done & published...
 

Flunk

New member
Feb 17, 2008
915
0
0
I'll probably get this, even if it's not so great he probably deserves the money for all the joy he's given me through his flash videos.

I wonder where I will be able to find a copy in Canada?
 

Latinidiot

New member
Feb 19, 2009
2,216
0
0
I read all the things on his website, and I likecd it, so I'm definetly looking out for this one
 

Clashero

New member
Aug 15, 2008
2,143
0
0
ThaBenMan said:
I dunno about this... I'm just not sure if his writing style would work well for a novel rather than an editorial. We'll see, I guess.
It's worked rather well, before. Haven't you seen his website?
 

DP155ToneZone

Good enough for Petrucci on I&W
Aug 23, 2009
244
0
0
My favourite thing about this announcement is that since Yahtzee is an Australian based entrepreneur, it is VERY likely that we'll see this in Australian bookstores.

No ordering off the webs for me!
 

duchaked

New member
Dec 25, 2008
4,451
0
0
this is going on my reading list...which isn't very long atm
but 2010?? hmm...
 

Superior Mind

New member
Feb 9, 2009
1,537
0
0
I have to say some of his writings on FullyRamblomatic are great - although I can now no longer listen to Soul Asylum's "Runaway Train".
 

werekitsune

New member
Oct 18, 2009
38
0
0
thats pretty cool, when it comes out in august i will buy it with "john dies at the end" for a final stress reliever before senior year
 

Jordan Deam

New member
Jan 11, 2008
697
0
0
Let's be honest here for a second, I like ZP as much as everybody else, but... "Mogworld"? Seriously? "Mogworld"? Why not call it "DiscShapedPlanet", in case people didn't get the hint? I mean, I get it, if I had to pitch a comedy novel on a fantasy setting I too would go for "It's Discworld in a videogame", but then I'd probably try to hide it, not mimic Pratchett's covers and cross my fingers for people not realizing they misspelled their Amazon search until after they've paid.

The worst part of it is that I'm sure the novel is going to be funny and as well written as it is reasonable to expect. Yahtzee is a talented fellow, after all. It's just that the blatant me-too vibe somebody obviously conscioulsy decided to go for is downright annoying.
 

Kilgorn

New member
Jul 1, 2009
92
0
0
its awesome that the cover says from thecreator of THE ESCAPIST'S ZERO PUNCTUATION"

and "YAHTZEE CROSHAW"
 

TraumaHound

New member
Jan 11, 2009
574
0
0
In a word: "SOLD!"

Sucks to have to wait a year for release but definitely goes on my Amazon wishlist as soon as the book's listed.
 

Hexador

New member
Dec 28, 2007
55
0
0
I am definately gonna buy it. Not only does the theme sound hilarious but since it's coming from Yahtzee I am sure I will love it.

I just hope he isnt nervous about being compared to Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.
 

Samurai Goomba

New member
Oct 7, 2008
3,679
0
0
Bah, I'll buy the Alphabet of Manliness first.

And I hope Yahtzee does NOT review his own book. Nobody should have that terrible power.
 

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
1,650
0
0
DuplicateValue said:
Squid94 said:
Definitely getting that. Be very interesting to see how he writes.
Here's an example of his writing: http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/articulatejim.htm
It's just the kind of humour I love in a book. =]

The link's okay. I promise.
Thanks for that, it's a good read. Shame he never got that published but I'm sure his new book will be just as good.
 

PsykoDragon

New member
Aug 19, 2008
413
0
0
Congratulations Mr. Croshaw, I do hope you have a bright future awaiting you whatever you do. Just please don't stop killing horrible games with words.
 

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
1,024
0
0
Congrats Ben! Glad to see you get published, and I am looking forward to reading your work!
 

Folsense

New member
Oct 26, 2009
36
0
0
I'm very much looking forward to this, if it's anything like Terry Pratchett's novels, I'll be very pleased.
 

The Random One

New member
May 29, 2008
3,310
0
0
I am cautiously optimistic about this, but it's pretty certain I'll buy it at some point of my life unless I either die unexpectedly or become homeless before I have a chance.
 

Arella18

New member
Apr 22, 2009
134
0
0
Charli said:
Schmidtzkrieg said:
All we need now is for him to narrate the audio book and we're set
...Damn now Im gonna hold out just for this.
yeah he'd better cause if anyone else narrated it then I'd be ticked...btw lookin forward to it eeeee ^_^.
 

gibboss28

New member
Feb 2, 2008
1,715
0
0
Amnestic said:
Sounds like we might be seeing something like a cross between Pratchett and LFGComic.
I came on to say exactly this, looking forward to it.
 
Mar 12, 2009
915
0
0
I don't think I want it if it's going to be a comedy, I haven't found Yahtzee funny for over a year now. I'd prefer his attempts at a Lovecraftian horror story to be published.
 

awatkins

New member
Oct 17, 2008
91
0
0
I hope there is lots of funny australian swearing and references to baby rape...not that I'm into that sort of thing, just sounds funny when he says it on Zeropunctuation. Oh, and I'll be doing his voice in my head throughout the whole book.
 

Catsi

New member
Feb 11, 2009
2
0
0
MMO theme, Undead mage and a...bunny rabbit. That seems a little too close to Looking for Group in my eyes. But then that's just my opinion and it's just the cover art. Hope it works out for you!
 

Merteg

New member
May 9, 2009
1,579
0
0
I'm gonna buy it, I don't care if reviewers say it sucks or not, I'm gonna buy it.
 

userwhoquitthesite

New member
Jul 23, 2009
2,177
0
0
Does anyone else think the wave of yahtzee fanboy pants cream will lead to very sticky surfers?

Honestly, I'm gonna pick this up when its out, but I'm not expecting it to be very good. I've read most of his articles and reviews and they just fill me with the idea that he's kind of a one-trick pony.

on that note i have to go buy the last wheel of time book so that fat bastard jordan no longer controls me from beyond the grave.
 

General Vagueness

New member
Feb 24, 2009
677
0
0
Blanks said:
The cover reminds me of Richard and his Rabbit from LFG

anyways, good for him ...i'd say it's worth a rental but you can't rent books so i may aswell buy it when it's released
I believe they call places where you can do that "libraries". That being said a place where you can actually rent books doesn't sound like a bad idea. Anyway let's all try to get our local libraries to get a copy or three when it comes out.
 

toapat

New member
Mar 28, 2009
899
0
0
i can really only say Gratz yahtzee.
i would likely find it as funny as ZP, i read like he talks for that
currently reading the Hitch-hiker's series
 

Shady Shades

New member
Apr 3, 2009
44
0
0
Arrers said:
I'm not so sure about this. Remember the "has halo crossed the line?" threads some people made when the halo anime was announced? Because I think I'm getting the feeling they had from this.
A Halo what now!? Thats the most moronic thing i've ever heard.
 

The Warden

New member
Oct 6, 2009
880
0
0
I'll check it out, maybe this'll make me forgive Dark Horse for the Star Wars...Manga, maybe it won't.
 

Arrers

New member
Mar 4, 2009
759
0
0
Tyrael Aasimar said:
Arrers said:
I'm not so sure about this. Remember the "has halo crossed the line?" threads some people made when the halo anime was announced? Because I think I'm getting the feeling they had from this.
A Halo what now!? Thats the most moronic thing i've ever heard.
Yeah, it's true. And now you mention it, their uncomfortable gut feeling makes a lot more sense.
 

Shady Shades

New member
Apr 3, 2009
44
0
0
Arrers said:
Tyrael Aasimar said:
Arrers said:
I'm not so sure about this. Remember the "has halo crossed the line?" threads some people made when the halo anime was announced? Because I think I'm getting the feeling they had from this.
A Halo what now!? Thats the most moronic thing i've ever heard.
Yeah, it's true. And now you mention it, their uncomfortable gut feeling makes a lot more sense.
Why would they want to do that? Why? Making a Halo anime would be like making non animated versions of saturday morning cartoons! They can't possibly think thats a good idea. :|
 

Arrers

New member
Mar 4, 2009
759
0
0
Tyrael Aasimar said:
Arrers said:
Tyrael Aasimar said:
Arrers said:
I'm not so sure about this. Remember the "has halo crossed the line?" threads some people made when the halo anime was announced? Because I think I'm getting the feeling they had from this.
A Halo what now!? Thats the most moronic thing i've ever heard.
Yeah, it's true. And now you mention it, their uncomfortable gut feeling makes a lot more sense.
Why would they want to do that? Why? Making a Halo anime would be like making non animated versions of saturday morning cartoons! They can't possibly think thats a good idea. :|
It's probably because enough people will buy it just because it's got halo written on it to make it profitable.
 

Shady Shades

New member
Apr 3, 2009
44
0
0
Arrers said:
Tyrael Aasimar said:
Arrers said:
Tyrael Aasimar said:
Arrers said:
I'm not so sure about this. Remember the "has halo crossed the line?" threads some people made when the halo anime was announced? Because I think I'm getting the feeling they had from this.
A Halo what now!? Thats the most moronic thing i've ever heard.
Yeah, it's true. And now you mention it, their uncomfortable gut feeling makes a lot more sense.
Why would they want to do that? Why? Making a Halo anime would be like making non animated versions of saturday morning cartoons! They can't possibly think thats a good idea. :|
It's probably because enough people will buy it just because it's got halo written on it to make it profitable.
Its things like this that rationalize my loathing of other human beings.
 

ottenni

New member
Aug 13, 2009
2,996
0
0
The man is very funny and writes bloody well. This is good news! And ill probably be able to buy it in stores! Yay!
 

Jordan Deam

New member
Jan 11, 2008
697
0
0
I read some of the unfinished drafts Yahtzee used to have on his website ages ago, so I'll give this one a go when it comes out.

He's actually being credited as "Yahtzee Croshaw"?

Tyrael Aasimar said:
Arrers said:
Tyrael Aasimar said:
Arrers said:
Tyrael Aasimar said:
Arrers said:
I'm not so sure about this. Remember the "has halo crossed the line?" threads some people made when the halo anime was announced? Because I think I'm getting the feeling they had from this.
A Halo what now!? Thats the most moronic thing i've ever heard.
Yeah, it's true. And now you mention it, their uncomfortable gut feeling makes a lot more sense.
Why would they want to do that? Why? Making a Halo anime would be like making non animated versions of saturday morning cartoons! They can't possibly think thats a good idea. :|
It's probably because enough people will buy it just because it's got halo written on it to make it profitable.
Its things like this that rationalize my loathing of other human beings.
There's no reason a Halo anime would necessarily be bad...and little chance it actually won't be.

Halo's blandness as a game has no bearing on its potential as a film, but anime based on video games is usually godawful as no one gives a damn since they're only looking to sell it to people who already decided to buy when they heard about it.
 

Shady Shades

New member
Apr 3, 2009
44
0
0
Fronzel said:
I read some of the unfinished drafts Yahtzee used to have on his website ages ago, so I'll give this one a go when it comes out.

He's actually being credited as "Yahtzee Croshaw"?

Tyrael Aasimar said:
Arrers said:
Tyrael Aasimar said:
Arrers said:
Tyrael Aasimar said:
Arrers said:
I'm not so sure about this. Remember the "has halo crossed the line?" threads some people made when the halo anime was announced? Because I think I'm getting the feeling they had from this.
A Halo what now!? Thats the most moronic thing i've ever heard.
Yeah, it's true. And now you mention it, their uncomfortable gut feeling makes a lot more sense.
Why would they want to do that? Why? Making a Halo anime would be like making non animated versions of saturday morning cartoons! They can't possibly think thats a good idea. :|
It's probably because enough people will buy it just because it's got halo written on it to make it profitable.
Its things like this that rationalize my loathing of other human beings.
There's no reason a Halo anime would necessarily be bad...and little chance it actually won't be.

Halo's blandness as a game has no bearing on its potential as a film, but anime based on video games is usually godawful as no one gives a damn since they're only looking to sell it to people who already decided to buy when they heard about it.
True on all fronts. I personally didn't find Halo worth the praise so I obviously don't care if everyone who thinks otherwise likes the idea. But then again I can say that for a lot of stuff.
 

Jharry5

New member
Nov 1, 2008
2,160
0
0
I hope this makes it to the UK. Sounds like it could well be worth a look at.
 

2012 Wont Happen

New member
Aug 12, 2009
4,286
0
0
A loyal fanbase, a great TV pilot, serveral excellent adventure games, a bar and a book.

I'd say Yahtzee is one quite accomplished Aussie.
 

SL33TBL1ND

New member
Nov 9, 2008
6,467
0
0
WIN! We love you Yahtzee!

2012 Wont Happen said:
A loyal fanbase, a great TV pilot, serveral excellent adventure games, a bar and a book.

I'd say Yahtzee is one quite accomplished Aussie.
Hell yeah, he's my favourite Aussie.

Tyrael Aasimar said:
Fronzel said:
I read some of the unfinished drafts Yahtzee used to have on his website ages ago, so I'll give this one a go when it comes out.

He's actually being credited as "Yahtzee Croshaw"?

Tyrael Aasimar said:
Arrers said:
Tyrael Aasimar said:
Arrers said:
Tyrael Aasimar said:
Arrers said:
I'm not so sure about this. Remember the "has halo crossed the line?" threads some people made when the halo anime was announced? Because I think I'm getting the feeling they had from this.
A Halo what now!? Thats the most moronic thing i've ever heard.
Yeah, it's true. And now you mention it, their uncomfortable gut feeling makes a lot more sense.
Why would they want to do that? Why? Making a Halo anime would be like making non animated versions of saturday morning cartoons! They can't possibly think thats a good idea. :|
It's probably because enough people will buy it just because it's got halo written on it to make it profitable.
Its things like this that rationalize my loathing of other human beings.
There's no reason a Halo anime would necessarily be bad...and little chance it actually won't be.

Halo's blandness as a game has no bearing on its potential as a film, but anime based on video games is usually godawful as no one gives a damn since they're only looking to sell it to people who already decided to buy when they heard about it.
True on all fronts. I personally didn't find Halo worth the praise so I obviously don't care if everyone who thinks otherwise likes the idea. But then again I can say that for a lot of stuff.
Like all things us rational people hate, you can be sure the mainstream will love. Ah well.
 

siddif

New member
Aug 11, 2009
187
0
0
Being a big WoW gamer an this book being practically a satire of MMORPGs i think im really gonna like this =)

Plus its Yahtzee has he ever done anything that didnt rock?
 

siddif

New member
Aug 11, 2009
187
0
0
2012 Wont Happen said:
A loyal fanbase, a great TV pilot, serveral excellent adventure games, a bar and a book.

I'd say Yahtzee is one quite accomplished Aussie.
Except for the fact hes British =P