Exclusive: Here's a look at D&D 5e's Manticore

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Exclusive: Here's a look at D&D 5e's Manticore

Well, I guess I won't be sleeping tonight.

The early release of the new Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual is but a week away in select stores, with general availability close on its heels on September 30th. During Gen Con, we had Wizards of the Coast [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136861-New-D-D-Monster-Manuals-Table-of-Contents-Stat-Index-Revealed] revealing a steady trickle of monster spoilers ever since. Without further ado, check out the new edition's hideous Manticore:

If you're interested in how we've received the new edition so far, you can see we've been playing D&D 5e live on our twitch channel. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/tabletop/reviews/12103-D-D-Player-s-Handbook-Review-A-Greatest-Hits-Collection]

Curious about the book? Read our official Monster Manual review right here. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/tabletop/reviews/12252-D-D-5th-Edition-Monster-Manual-Review-for-Dungeons-Dragons]

If you're not up to date on Monster Manual [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/monster%20manual] spoilers so far, they're right here:

[gallery=3149]

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Hm.

*Contemplate Contemplate*

Too much man, not enough ticore. That is my feeling on this image. Back to giving out about the CRB's art for halflings being horrifying and bad for me!

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
It's like they took the classic D&D and mythological Manticore and inexplicably mixed it up with MtG's Masticore. That mouth looks unusual.

Jan 12, 2012
You know, I really hope WotC does online support well this edition. I'd get a subscription if they provided a beefy Monster Manual reference guide that had more than a couple paragraphs of reference. The Manticore's fluff is better than 5e Umber Hulk in defining it's place in the world, but even pulling the old fluff from previous editions and posting it would be wonderful, and there are so many parts of the lives of these monsters that aren't covered.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
JonB said:
Well, I guess I won't be sleeping tonight.
I don't see why. It seems rather friendly. All smiles, like its happy to see you.

Its eyes remind me of Sheogorath for some reason.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
His face kind of reminds me of Gannondorf, or maybe Vigo from Ghostbusters.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Thunderous Cacophony said:
You know, I really hope WotC does online support well this edition. I'd get a subscription if they provided a beefy Monster Manual reference guide that had more than a couple paragraphs of reference. The Manticore's fluff is better than 5e Umber Hulk in defining it's place in the world, but even pulling the old fluff from previous editions and posting it would be wonderful, and there are so many parts of the lives of these monsters that aren't covered.
Yeah...OTOH, isn't even this a big improvement over previous eds that had even less?

Jul 13, 2011
Absolutionis said:
It's like they took the classic D&D and mythological Manticore and inexplicably mixed it up with MtG's Masticore. That mouth looks unusual.
The manticore (Early Middle Persian Martyaxwar) is a Persian legendary creature similar to the Egyptian sphinx. It has the body of a red lion, a human head with three rows of sharp teeth (like a shark), sometimes bat wings, and a trumpet-like voice. Other aspects of the creature vary from story to story. It may be horned, winged, or both. The tail is that of either a dragon or a scorpion, and it may shoot poisonous spines to either paralyze or kill its victims. It devours its prey whole and leaves no clothes, bones, or possessions of the prey behind.

JLF

Mar 2, 2010
The manticore can do 3 attacks, "One with the its bite, two with its claws and three with its tail". Is that correct English? The text makes it sound like it has 6 attacks in total. (I'm not a native English speaker)

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
JLF said:
The manticore can do 3 attacks, "One with the its bite, two with its claws and three with its tail". Is that correct English? The text makes it sound like it has 6 attacks in total. (I'm not a native English speaker)
If I am reading it correctly, it only makes three attacks, but it is either a bite and two claw attacks, or three attacks using only the tail.

OT: Dragons still awesome, manticores have scary teeth and Intellect Devourers are ridiculous. I am okay with this.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
It is like a cute little kitty. Just seeking pettings, Joe the barbarian you try to pet it :)

*Based upon that the barbarian player choose to be dumb as a rock just to max is strength*

JLF

Mar 2, 2010
Laser Priest said:
JLF said:
If I am reading it correctly, it only makes three attacks, but it is either a bite and two claw attacks, or three attacks using only the tail.

OT: Dragons still awesome, manticores have scary teeth and Intellect Devourers are ridiculous. I am okay with this.
Thanks! That makes much more sense.

Mabster

May 8, 2011
I'm really impressed by the art in the 5e materials so far. That thing looks vicious!

A big improvement to its 4e cousin. [http://castlesandcooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Stephen-Crowe-Manticore.jpg]

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
JLF said:
The manticore can do 3 attacks, "One with the its bite, two with its claws and three with its tail".
That's an "or" not an "and" in the middle. It makes more sense if you don't misquote it.

LaGrange

Sep 13, 2014
Just to clarify on the attacks: what this means is that it gets three attacks on you whether it is attacking in melee (1 bite, 2 claws) or from range (3 tail). Its proximity to you will usually determine which set of three attacks it will do.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That is alot of spike and also the face (mainly the jaw) remind me of the titans from Attack on Titans.