Exclusive TV Channel May Be Heading to Xbox Live

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Exclusive TV Channel May Be Heading to Xbox Live

Microsoft and former News Corp. president, Peter Chernin, have been in talks considering a new Xbox Live TV channel catered to young males.

The channel would offer reruns and original shows, and would only cost an additional $1-2 a month. Chernin first proposed it on April 12, but Microsoft is yet to respond.

Microsoft may not be the only console giant being approached with a TV channel proposal. According to Chernin's publicist,"Peter is talking to lots of people about lots of ideas in the digital space." Perhaps exclusive channels for the PS3 and Wii are in the making, as well.

Though details on exactly what the TV channel would offer remain vague, I still have to wonder what it could bring to the table that Xbox doesn't already offer? The Xbox Marketplace provides easy and direct downloads of movies and TV shows, and the recent addition of Netflix has provided even more content for the downloading.

A TV channel would presumably provide streaming content, and you'd have to catch the shows during specific viewing times. In a world where Tivo and DVR rule, pausing and recording shows is becoming a standard.

This may explain another recent story: Before choosing TBS as his home, Conan was reportedly considering Xbox Live to host his new show [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99968-Could-Conan-Have-Gone-to-Xbox-Live]. If exclusive content such as this would only be available via the TV channel, there could easily be a large enough audience willing to part with a few more bucks a month. On the one hand, I wonder what an exclusive TV channel could offer the Xbox community that it doesn't already have; but on the other hand, I can imagine some seriously cool possibilities.

Source: Scrawl [http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=astES33mJmkE]

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomislavmedak/3804053850/])

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Already have Sky TV here in the UK, so dont really need another programme. I just wanna play my ames, and ill be happy

Also BBC iPlayer would be nice

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
What? This is so fucking stupid. You are staring at a tv while playing, change the fucking input to cable to get TV. What a retarded idea.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
soapyshooter said:
What? This is so fucking stupid. You are staring at a tv while playing, change the fucking input to cable to get TV. What a retarded idea.
It would be the content on the channel you're paying for. Not to mention some people (me) use a pc monitor with their xbox.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Jesus Phish said:
soapyshooter said:
It would be the content on the channel you're paying for. Not to mention some people (me) use a pc monitor with their xbox.
Kalezian said:
soapyshooter said:
what about the people that dont have satellite or cable because they cant afford it?

personally, I watch the MSNBC video cells every few days to catch up on the news that I dont see or read on cnn.com, but thats about it.
You need LIVE for this and if you have LIVE, you have internet. Couldn't you just go to Hulu or countless other sites on the internet? I'm sorry playing for a channel on LIVE is just mindbogglingly stupid, imo.

Edit: Its even more stupid on the PS3, seeing as how you can watch free movies on the PS3 . I doubt their original content tops Blockbuster movies.

Wolfiesden

Mar 18, 2010
Lauren Admire said:
The channel would offer reruns and original shows, and ...
Um...duh. Isn't that the ONLY two options, original shows and reruns? Star Trek September 1966, Original show. Star Trek April 2010, rerun. Dunno, sounds like EVERY other channel.

I have NO interest in another channel and no interest in paying more money. There are far too many other alternatives to get game shows and news (here at the Escapist for example), most of which are streaming and on demand so why would I want a channel thats not on demand like the videos already available on the XBL dashboard.

RatRace123 said:
I'd like to see something akin to G4, you know before G4 became Spike 2.
Why? G4 sucked grapes, not as bad as Spike but still... It was FAR better when it was ZDTV. Wonder what ever happened to Kate Botello. Morgan Webb was nice and all but Kate..she had looks AND a brain :)

I swear Major Nelson sure resembles Leo in so many ways.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
RatRace123 said:
I'd like to see something akin to G4, you know before G4 became Spike 2.
Well... you mean Tech TV? G4 was pretty bad from the get go, as far as I can remember.

But, anyway, if there's one thing the 360 needs, it's more content for young males... wait... what?

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Thanks but no thanks. My satellite TV is just fine. Besides, I don't know what shows they could possibly add that isn't already on the air. Every type of genre has their own channel now, some even have multiple channels.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I could see it working, provide the channel for a minimal fee and offer downloads of the show at a slight cost, that way people who are bored can flick onto it and watch for a bit, and those that find a show they are interested in can grab the episode to watch whenever.

Being bored and listless is about the only time I watch TV anymore, by that I mean just flicking it on and seeing if there is anything interesting worth watching. Watching shows you've DVRed doesn't count as watching TV IMO.

GL2814E

Feb 16, 2010
I think I would grow crazy with a young male network on my Xbox. Admittedly I watch a few Juvenile/immature shows, but I don't think a whole network would work for me. Certainly not on my Xbox. I have cable to watch shows... duh.

PopeJewish

Apr 15, 2010
I'm certainly not willing to pay for it. I don't watch TV as it is (haven't had cable for years) and would hate being forced to pay for a crappy TV channel just so I can play games online with a gold account