Existential endings like Berlin Alexanderplatz, 8 1/2, Evangelion?

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Long dream-like character study endings. What are the best examples?

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
You'd like Synecdoche, New York, I imagine. Brazil is another obvious example. Also, like, the second to last episode of almost pretty much every Bojack Horseman season, though not the actual season finales.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
You'd like Synecdoche, New York, I imagine. Brazil is another obvious example. Also, like, the second to last episode of almost pretty much every Bojack Horseman season, though not the actual season finales.
Would you count the final couple of episodes of Twin Peaks: The Return?

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Would you count the final couple of episodes of Twin Peaks: The Return?
Dreamlike, definitely. Though it's debatable whether the last episode represents Cooper descending into or waking up from a dream. Character study? Not so much, if anything it very deliberately obscures character motivations. Which is sort of a bookend to the entire season. It both starts off and ends on a very emotionally distant note.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Big O - More so in the last few episodes of the 2nd and final season.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Pi from the same director somewhat gets there in its ending, though it's not as long or verbose as the likes of Evangelion.
Yeah that's a good example too. Forgot about that film, it's been a while since I've seen it.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Texhnolyze. Why will nobody watch it? It can't get any more existentialist and as for character study it digs deep into the very heart of humanity itself. I have never experienced('watched' would be a disservice) a show(or any story for that matter) that impressed me this much. Best piece of fiction ever created.

Best music as well..

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Was sort of thinking Brazil as well, but wasn't totally sure it fell under the same category. I guess it does.

Texhnolyze. Why will nobody watch it? It can't get any more existentialist and as for character study it digs deep into the very heart of humanity itself. I have never experienced('watched' would be a disservice) a show(or any story for that matter) that impressed me this much. Best piece of fiction ever created.

Best music as well..

I watched it twelve years ago.

The Big O - More so in the last few episodes of the 2nd and final season.
Too bad. I quit right before that, at episode 20 of 26.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Was sort of thinking Brazil as well, but wasn't totally sure it fell under the same category. I guess it does.

I watched it twelve years ago.

Too bad. I quit right before that, at episode 20 of 26.
I suggest you finish it just for the sake of completion. I won't spoil the ending for you, but it ends in a gainaxy open ended kind of way. It was supposed to act as a last episode or a continuation for another season that never came. Honestly, how they would make a third season out of that is beyond me. Sometimes it's best just to let things end. the ending is love it or hate it territory, but I actually like the ending. I felt it was a fitting end to such an awesome show.

Last edited: