Expendables' Ronda Rousey Talks Pokemon, Goku vs. Superman

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008

Meet your new nerd-crush: UFC champ and Expendables 3 star Ronda Rousey reveals her favorite Pokemon and weighs in on Goku vs. Superman

Mixed martial-arts icon revealed her geeky side [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127454-EA-Sports-UFC-First-to-Feature-Female-Fighters] when audience questions turned to video games, comics and anime at a press event for UFC Macau in Hong Kong.

After asking if if they were required to ask a serious question and being told "no," one fan asked Rousey if she had an opinion on the eternal fandom debate [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-extras/8223-ScrewAttacks-Death-Battle-Goku-vs-Superman] over who would win in a fight between Superman and Dragonball Z's Goku. Without missing a beat, she replied:

"Goku would definitely win, because Superman is already capped out. You know what I mean? His powers are where it's at and he's not going to get any more. Goku can destroy an entire planet, and I don't think Superman can do that, so definitely Goku."

Several questions later, another attendee rose to ask, simply: "Charmander, Squirtle or Bulbasaur?," to which she replied:

"Charmander, every single time. I always start with Charmander. That was my first Pokemon ever!"

In addition to being an undefeated Womens' Bantamweight champ in both the UFC and Strikeforce MMA promotions, Rousey is the first American woman to win an Olympic medal in judo, and is considered to be the #1 pound-for-pound female mixed martial-arts fighter in the world.

Source: MMA in Asia [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTCzX8pf3e8]

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
HOLY SHIT that`s one bad-ass nerd chicl.
The DragonBall answer was really impressive :O
You go girl next time i watch a UFC event im definetely cheering for her :p

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Except you that Superman gets power from the sun so the more sunrays he absorbs the stronger, smarter and faster he gets. Also the correct answer to which Pokemon is Pikachu.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
I hope this thread doesn't turn into another Goku vs. Superman deba- ah who am I kidding it's already too late, in all seriousness this is cool, possibly the best female fighter in the world is "one of us", soon we shall be ready for the uprising...

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
MovieBob said:

Meet your new nerd-crush: UFC champ and Expendables 3 star Ronda Rousey reveals her favorite Pokemon and weighs in on Goku vs. Superman

Mixed martial-arts icon revealed her geeky side [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127454-EA-Sports-UFC-First-to-Feature-Female-Fighters] when audience questions turned to video games, comics and anime at a press event for UFC Macau in Hong Kong.

After asking if if they were required to ask a serious question and being told "no," one fan asked Rousey if she had an opinion on the eternal fandom debate [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-extras/8223-ScrewAttacks-Death-Battle-Goku-vs-Superman] over who would win in a fight between Superman and Dragonball Z's Goku. Without missing a beat, she replied:

"Goku would definitely win, because Superman is already capped out. You know what I mean? His powers are where it's at and he's not going to get any more. Goku can destroy an entire planet, and I don't think Superman can do that, so definitely Goku."

Several questions later, another attendee rose to ask, simply: "Charmander, Squirtle or Bulbasaur?," to which she replied:

"Charmander, every single time. I always start with Charmander. That was my first Pokemon ever!"

In addition to being an undefeated Womens' Bantamweight champ in both the UFC and Strikeforce MMA promotions, Rousey is the first American woman to win an Olympic medal in judo, and is considered to be the #1 pound-for-pound female mixed martial-arts fighter in the world.

Source: MMA in Asia [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTCzX8pf3e8]

She just keeps on impressing me! Personally unfamiliar with Pokemon, except that I know of Pikachu after being innundated with him everywhere for so long. But that cartoon and card game came around long after I was a kid, so I was doing other things at the time. Goku and Dragonball Z, however, are a guilty pleasure of mine. Yes, yes, I know it takes three episode to actually see anything happen... one for the thing happening, and two just for the yelling build up of whatever the one thing is.... but I cant help myself. I also agree with Rousey, and believe Goku would wipe the floor with Superman. Kind of like how Ronda does most of her opponents!

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
CrazyBlaze said:
Except you that Superman gets power from the sun so the more sunrays he absorbs the stronger, smarter and faster he gets. Also the correct answer to which Pokemon is Pikachu.
Superman, even after months of sunbathing and without holding back, can get twice, maybe thrice, as strong as he usually is.

Goku has no upper cap, is already a lot stronger, and gets stronger at a much higher rate.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Sadly while I prefer Goku, I think Death Battle's logic was pretty solid. "The man who surpasses his own limits versus the man who has no limits. When they fight, only one has limits to surpass."

This is pretty cool. It's actually surprising how many celebrities are geeks. Vin Diesel likes D&D, Robin Williams was a gamer (who also liked TMNT and anime), and plenty of others that I can't think of off the top of my head. Plus, she goes against the stereotype as she's one of the toughest women on the planet.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Don't get too in love, most people went off her 'cos of how she acted in "tuf". While I haven't seen the "tuf" with her in, I know she has been hanging round the Diaz brothers, who are from Stockton and they are exactly how you think they are ... brash cocky and are quick to let you know where they are from.

I do like Ronda but I haven't seen "tuf" so that could change. Needs to work on her stand up but she can rip people's arms off all day long!

Nice to see she is a nerd aswell.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Oh that's wifey right there! Geeky amazons, cannot figuratively or literally top them.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Superman and Captain Marvel can lift a book containing infinite weight (every incarnation of Superman can lift infinity.)

Then there's a monkey who can get 4 times stronger.

Also this: http://www.screwattack.com/news/final-analysis-superman-and-goku-w-power-levels

PS: I hate seeing these debates xD...how long till someone quotes me :p

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Main problem of the debate is that most people knowledge of DBZ comes from the TV show... and ditto for Superman. And while for the most part the DBZ anime repeats the same feat as the manga, superman has well over 70 years of comic book history of him doing incredible feats that are not repeated in any TV shows.

A good exemple - Rousey up there says she doesn't think Superman can destroy a planet... well, he can.

When you compared their feats against each other, it's not even funny how what superman does is totally ridiculous. They may both be the strongest being in their 'world', but that doesn't mean they are in the same weight category.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
I wonder what she would think about the results of the Goku vs. Superman Death Battle?

Still...I do find it rather cathartic that there exists someone who is this nerdy and can still kick people's asses if necessary. Definitely puts an end to ye olde "nerds vs. jocks" bullpucky.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I love how easily "nerds" are impressed. Sometimes "nerd culture" is so simple. Going by her age, is anyone surprised she played Pokemon or is aware of Goku or Superman. A couple of quotes and everyone is fumbling all over themselves.

She may be branching out into acting, but if she wants to be a serious actress, she should do something besides grunt and look mad at the camera. She is going to have a short and terrible career like Gina Carano, who did little more than that in most movies she was in. Ronda Rousey is already typecast. I watched Expendables 3, and there is no reason to have her do all those complex moves why she is being shot at, unless you want everyone to be sure of who she is when she is on screen. She is already the only woman in the Expendables and as such, is pretty recognizable. It was poor use of her if she wants to be a serious actress at any future time, and I can't help but feel it's going to be the exact same in the Fast & Furious film.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Ronda's trolling the Goku vs Superman crowd? I personally agree with Goku winning, but not for the reason she's listed. Goku wins for more basic reasons. I'm surprised she wouldn't site Superman's over dependence on the Haymaker.

I also find people who side with Superman tend to back-down from a real debate the moment you hit them with any data that tarnishes Big Blue. Forcing a Superman fan to argue for Superboy Prime as one of the few ways to win is also fun. I could be wrong, but I've yet to find someone who'd actually debate past the first round of debate. It's really sad.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
medv4380 said:
Ronda's trolling the Goku vs Superman crowd? I personally agree with Goku winning, but not for the reason she's listed. Goku wins for more basic reasons. I'm surprised she wouldn't site Superman's over dependence on the Haymaker.
That's because Ronda Rousey should be the last person to call someone out on being a 1-trick pony. Don't get me wrong, it is one hell of a trick.

Not weighing in on the G v S debate. I will throw my hat into the "Yu-Gi-Oh! is better than Pokemon" ring though. Have at you!

And of course she picked Charmander? My god, she is a basic *****.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
You'd be surprised at how many young bodybuilders love Dragon Ball. Most of the ones I know started with strength training because of their love for Dragon Ball. And I agree with her. Goku would definitely win. Don't know anything about Pokemon though. I never saw the appeal.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
tdylan said:
medv4380 said:
Snip.. just scroll up a little
Snip..Same Reason
Yu-Gi-Oh! vs Pokemon is a little harder to debate. Would it be debating the Various Manga, Various Anime, Card Game, or Video Game. There is just so many different avenues that without being ultra explicit I wouldn't now where to begin. That, and my knowledge of Yu-Gi, and Pokemon is rather limited. Don't get me wrong. I know a lot, but since I refuse to play handhelds my knowledge is academic and not practical. Then there is the Anime and Manga. Since there are so many versions of Yu-Gi it's hard to pick a horse, and after the first few seasons of Both I stopped paying attention to them nearly a decade, or more back.

At least with Goku the Anime, and Manga don't deviate a whole lot. There's some translation issues, but you have a limit of about 4 or 5 versions of Goku that are almost identical. Superman's a bit harder, but as long as you understand comicbook dividing lines you can pick. I think I could win just about any argument, or come close with Goku on top even against Superboy Prime. I don't think I could come close to Red Sun Superman. He's outright evil, and smart. Goku wouldn't have much of a chance against someone so ruthless, and cunning with Supermans strength. At least Red Sun is actually Terran and not Krypton leaving doubt as to weather it's actually Superman or not.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Naqel said:
CrazyBlaze said:
Superman, even after months of sunbathing and without holding back, can get twice, maybe thrice, as strong as he usually is.

Goku has no upper cap, is already a lot stronger, and gets stronger at a much higher rate.
Actually Goku does have an upper cap. To be fair, his primary character trait is pushing that cap a little higher each time, but he still has limits. If he didn't, he would have wiped the floor with Raditz. Vegeta and Nappa would have been no problem. Frieza would have been swatted like a fly, Cell would have been laughed out of his own tournament, and Buu would have been chewed up like some bubblegum.

In fact, he actually couldn't defeat Kid Buu due to his limitations. They had to "cheat" by calling in the Dragon to give Goku a full-life heal at the end of the fight. If they hadn't done that, Kid Buu would have stuffed that Spirit Bomb right back down Goku's throat.

Compare that to Superman, who can literally grab hold of the fabric of reality and push a galaxy, and yeah...Goku never really stood a chance. We're talking about a guy who can literally make up powers and say "Yeah, I can do that, because I'm Superman."

vid87

May 17, 2010
Throwing in to the discussion pile - if Goku used Solar Flare, would that make Superman stronger?