Experience the Founding of Westeros in Game of Thrones: Genesis

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
Darth_Dude said:
Hm....I haven't seen any gameplay, so I'm not particularly impressed yet...The premise certainly has me somewhat excited though, however, the only thing this developer is known for is Blood Bowl...So I guess We'll have to wait and see.

EDIT: Wait...No, I just saw the teaser trailer, and to be quite frank, it looks like a piece of shite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPs2wdbkHlQ&feature=player_embedded

Looking at some more of the gameplay images as well, -sigh-. This looks to be pretty mediocre so far.. http://www.agot-genesis.com/index.php?rub=images
Are you one of those people who judge games solely on their graphics?

Cool story, bro.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
TheBelgianGuy said:

Cool story, bro.
No, no of course not! What I am saying is, the animation standard in the trailer is terrible! And from what I'm getting from the screenshots, the gameplay is gonna be pretty shallow.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
So it took Martin nearly six years to release the last novel in the series, but he's got plenty of time to write for a video game...

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Curious if its going to be like Total war, with a not to scale overworld. Because the whole world looks so small in them screenshots :(

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Boba Frag said:
I don't know why they couldn't just use the Total War engine, or why it couldn't be a creative assembly game but that's just me.

Looks... Interesting, but not exactly stunning.
Any gameplay trailers around?
Mainly because any game centered on battles (and the newer TW games have essentially made their campaigns only a way to tie the battle-centrepieces together) won't do ASoIaF justice, at all. I remember people complaining about the battles not being shown in the TV series, which I found to be exactly in the spirit of the books. These are not about huge armies duking it out on the battlefield, but about the personal decisions and consequences that result in and out of these battles and other events surrounding them.

Crusader Kings 2, now that's an engine made for a Westeros-Scenario.

As for the Cyanide-game. I still don't like the title. "Genesis" is one of those generic titles you use when you can't think of anything else (it works with pretty much anything: Thing "Mass Effect: Genesis", "Star Wars: Genesis", "Neon Genesis Evangelion: Genesis" Uh.. well. Almost everything). Even I can make up something better on the fly: "Rise of Kings", "A Burden of Honor", "A Battle of Wits", "A Game of Computers".

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
Darth_Dude said:
TheBelgianGuy said:

Cool story, bro.
No, no of course not! What I am saying is, the animation standard in the trailer is terrible! And from what I'm getting from the screenshots, the gameplay is gonna be pretty shallow.
I'm sorry my post sounded more aggressive than I meant it to be, btw :p

Cyanide isn't exactly a large or wealthy company, and frankly, I couldn't care less about that kind of trailers that really say nothing about the game (Starcraft 2 did that too, it's just that Blizzard can spend millions on that crap).

The screenshots remind me of Hegemony war of ancient greece, which was anything but shallow I think.

Monsterfurby said:
Boba Frag said:
I don't know why they couldn't just use the Total War engine, or why it couldn't be a creative assembly game but that's just me.

Mainly because any game centered on battles (and the newer TW games have essentially made their campaigns only a way to tie the battle-centrepieces together) won't do ASoIaF justice, at all. I remember people complaining about the battles not being shown in the TV series, which I found to be exactly in the spirit of the books. These are not about huge armies duking it out on the battlefield, but about the personal decisions and consequences that result in and out of these battles and other events surrounding them.

As for the Cyanide-game. I still don't like the title. "Genesis" is one of those generic titles you use when you can't think of anything else (it works with pretty much anything: Thing "Mass Effect: Genesis", "Star Wars: Genesis", "Neon Genesis Evangelion: Genesis" Uh.. well. Almost everything). Even I can make up something better on the fly: "Rise of Kings", "A Burden of Honor", "A Battle of Wits", "A Game of Computers".
I agree on that Total War is a bad way to represent Westeros - it's not about huge battles at all, for me! (And neither is it for HBO, it seems)

However, the use of "Genesis", which means nothing more than "Origins" or "Beginning", is correct if this game is about how the world of Westeros came to be - which if I understand correctly, it is.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
I had no idea this was even coming out. Feels a bit Total War-ish to me, but hey, nothing wrong with that. Hope it's a good game.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Westeros total war was a very good rts mod for med II, set in this setting. I think it won't be so great, but I will still check it out.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
TheBelgianGuy said:
However, the use of "Genesis", which means nothing more than "Origins" or "Beginning", is correct if this game is about how the world of Westeros came to be - which if I understand correctly, it is.
That is right, but its connotations are very Christian or Greek, depending on where you stand. It just doesn't "fit" the setting specifically, at least for me. As I said, it's just a very generic title.

As for Westeros Total War: I really like that mod, even though the TW engine does not really represent the setting very well. However, some people put a lot of hard work into that mod and are still doing so to revive it, which I, as an avid modder, can appreciate. I didn't mean my comments to extend to WTW, as modders have to kind of work with the engine they are given. My favourite Westeros mods are still the CK and Mount&Blade ones, though.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Monsterfurby said:
Boba Frag said:

This is very true, I'm a fan of the books (five years waiting for A Dance with Dragons, I'd want to be!) so the appeal was never the prospect of battles; it's story and character driven so much it'd be impossible to do a proper game about it.
Still, the game would give you the opportunity to experience what it's like to deploy the Stark banners, to unleash Targaryen armies, to in effect re-enact a Storm of Swords most dramatic moments.

Never played that game, must check it out.
I'll stay neutral towards this game in the meantime.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Boba Frag said:
Monsterfurby said:
Boba Frag said:

This is very true, I'm a fan of the books (five years waiting for A Dance with Dragons, I'd want to be!) so the appeal was never the prospect of battles; it's story and character driven so much it'd be impossible to do a proper game about it.
Still, the game would give you the opportunity to experience what it's like to deploy the Stark banners, to unleash Targaryen armies, to in effect re-enact a Storm of Swords most dramatic moments.

Never played that game, must check it out.
I'll stay neutral towards this game in the meantime.
I'm going to love leading Theon (I got over his betrayal) and the Wolves down on the Bolton citadel and tear their standard bearers limb from limb. Although I've a sneaking suspicion that it will be a slightly above average siege-based RTS and not unlike the Stronghold franchise. But at Steam price of $40, I think I can deal with it... and as long as I can send a personalized message to Mr. Martin to hurry the fuck up.

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
Huh I didn't really feel like game of thrones was about war, I mean sure there is a bunch of little wars going on (the wall against the wild lings, the king on the iron throne vs the king in the north, the king on the iron throne vs the Stannis, the king on the iron throne vs Danny (I assume I haven't read past her mustering her armies yet)) but really the true heart of the story that makes it so interesting to me is the characters on a bit of a smaller scale then war... And in a RTS? really, I mean nothing's special in an rts, one dragon = 10 archers which is = 800 gold takes all the special feeling out of it, all the mystique...
The characters can't be truly developed either in the rts format, I mean worse case scenario they just introduce and give you the feel of characters by making them jump out and say little quotes in game but even the best is if they give lengthy cut scenes to portray the story and that's not really all that good IMO either. The world isn't all that special and that's all they can really bring with them to an rts properly...