Experimental Game Controller Can Scald or Freeze

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
...to be frank, this sounds about as likely or as innovative as the whole "smell the game" shinanigans we had a while back... I don't think it'll catch on.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008

Sounds interesting though my feeble human brain can't think of a good use for it other than say sharp shooting or careful hacking with hot being bad/off target and cool being correct or people looking in your direction.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Ertol said:
Sounds cool if you were playing Lost Planet or something, but where is the application for a regular FPS?
The extreme heat of the desert? Too bad there is a cliche'n'boring temperature for all those regular FPS games...

I would really give this thing a try as long as the price is reasonable...

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Just another useless mechanic, that if it WERE able to catch on, would require developers to waste time and money to integrate.

Im not spending $70 on the Next Gen games because of Uber HiDef and Thermal Controllers

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
Woodsey said:
The Thief said:
Woodsey said:
Sounds like the rumble feature. I.e. Annoying and not-at-all immersive.
Yes, because guns don't shake at all when you're firing them. What were they thinking.

And now they're adding heating? That's another thing guns totally don't do.
Look, I'll be kind and give you a quick tip: don't give a sarcastic reply when you either a) Don't know what immersion is or b) Haven't read what you're replying to properly.

Yes guns shake and I imagine they get hot, that doesn't make it more immersive when your controller does that. It's the same reason motion controls are less immersive than gaming with a mouse and keyboard or gamepad: you're being brought back into the real world.
First, I'm sorry if I came off a little rude. Just my sense of humor getting the better of me.

Second, I agree that motion controls are immersion breaking, but this and vibration are nothing like motion controls. Motion control is an input method, whereas vibration and temperature are feedback, just the same as audio and video. I would think the more senses a game can give feedback for the more real the experience would be.

I can't argue whether or not you personally find it to be immersive, but I find it helps greatly. The only thing about it that breaks the immersion for me is if the motor has an annoying buzzing noise like some do.

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
Wedlock49 said:
y'know what... screw the immersion factor, just let me turn on the cold or heat whenever I want.

Your hands are sweating? Well turn on the cooling mode!

Just got in and your hands are too cold to game? Turn on the heat!
This could actually be pretty great. I freeze during the majority of the school year because its so cold here. Love to be able to game and warm up at the same time.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Wedlock49 said:
y'know what... screw the immersion factor, just let me turn on the cold or heat whenever I want.

Your hands are sweating? Well turn on the cooling mode!

Just got in and your hands are too cold to game? Turn on the heat!
That would be the practical use for this. There really isn't anything else.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
I'm calling gimmick on this one. How often is the heat (or lack thereof) going to really matter? So I'm in the ice dungeon in Zelda and my hands are cold...that's just going to be annoying.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Solid Snake "Otacon, I am putting my thumb on this oven...it is part of my plan to get the plans to metal gear!"

Otacon "Snake make sure you have a plate of Ice cubes next to you!"

Snake "Right, not shamelessly plugging a pointless technology again... this is all part of the plot!"

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
This is a small step, but a simple innovation that I REALLY want to see, it would actually be such a nice little feature. Although sweaty palms syndrome would be even worse at times than it is now. This is a genuine, logical, possible, affordable step forward.

3D is good, but I don't want it now, and motion controls are a massive leap backwards. So I like this, it's good.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
I'd like one set to permanently chilled, just a couple of degrees below room temp to keep my hands from sweating during long sessions.

Zirat

May 16, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Sounds really really amazing. Forget Kinect, this add-on is another step towards immersion. No flailing around, simply sitting and feeling the actual heat or cold within your palms whilst remaining perfectly motionless.
Congratulations good sir. You have just suceeded in summing up the way this thread should go so out of honor:

/thread

Xiorell

Jan 9, 2010
Ertol said:
Sounds cool if you were playing Lost Planet or something, but where is the application for a regular FPS?
Maybe you could have it get warmer as your gun starts to overheat from sustained fire? Like in Mass Effect kinda thing.

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
Woodsey said:
Sounds like the rumble feature. I.e. Annoying and not-at-all immersive.
rumble is useful when playing a driving game. Lets me know when I start to drift off the course when in first person view.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
If you get damaged consistently, the controller heats up and when you die, it delivers a sharp burn. That's a great concept!