Experimental Game Controller Can Scald or Freeze

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Until they can just feed signals directly into my brain, I'd like everyone to stop screwing around with things. Just seeing things is fine.

AlmostLikeLife

Apr 24, 2009
Imagine the usefulness of this technology when you're on a quest to find a specific object.

Cold. Warm. Hot. Hotter. Hotter. YOU'RE BURNING UP!

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
Well, it's pretty basic, but it's a step in the right direction towards full immersion. It's a small step, but it's more than Kinect.

Ertol

Jul 8, 2010
Xiorell said:
Ertol said:
Sounds cool if you were playing Lost Planet or something, but where is the application for a regular FPS?
Maybe you could have it get warmer as your gun starts to overheat from sustained fire? Like in Mass Effect kinda thing.
Didn't think of that, but I like that idea. Granted it all depends on how hot/cold it gets, because it's could get to be unconfortably warm, or it will be such a small change you won't notice it.

TraderJimmy

Apr 17, 2010
Huzzah.

We are one step closer to going to the 'feelies' every day, before recoiling in fear from a flower and proceeding to spend the rest of our day in drudgery or regimented social recreation.

Pass the Soma, pls.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
...I am thinking MGS...and that damned key that needs different environments to change its shape...yeah

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Man, I think rumble is a gimmick. (You can feel everything your character feels! As long as you pretend your character is unable to feel any sensation anywhere but his hands! COMPLETE REALISM FOR THE SUFFERERS OF SEVERE DISORDERS!) This is like a super ultra mega gimmick.

If only heat and cold were enough to let a blind person play, there would be blind players tournament around rumble controllers already. I know I said I don't like rumble in the previous sentence, but if you need to relay information to someone who can't see you can do a lot worse than an instant tactile sensation that can change duration or intensity. One of the ways you can do a lot worse is if you based it on something that cannot be perceived when it's subtle, can be painful when it's extreme, and may take a few seconds for the brain to understand.

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
Sounds like I'm the only one who thinks this is stupid...

How am supposed to effectively react to incoming missiles in Armored Core, if i have stiff fingers, from playing on an ice map.

I'd rather spend my waste-cash on that cyborg potato-chip arm.

ThongBonerstorm

Feb 22, 2010
Why it would be cool: if this was used to enhance games on the market or in development. The first thing that came to mind was Metal Gear Solid, when you have to change the key card by going into the different rooms? sneaking over the molten slag would take on a new meaning if your hands were actually sweating from the heat. Or the battle with Sniper Wolf? trying to aim the rifle while actually feeling the chill of the air on your fingers would be great!

Why this is most likely suck: Because games will be designed totally around this, not as a method to add to the game play, but as a selling point for the whole idea of the game. I don't think anyone could make an interesting game out of temperature, and i'm not looking forward to "Steve Fuckbox's Weather Forecasting Shitfest 2011"

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Hm... an interesting idea, but not really practical as a mainstream thing. Though I can appreciate the idea of it being used to help blind people game. The only game I can really think of where such a controller would come in "handy" (if you can call it useful) would be the Metroid Prime games, and those games do a good enough job of immersing you within the game without the need of a fancy game.

That said, something like this feels like it would just be a crutch for good artistic design in a game. Why go through the effort of making an area immersing when you can just program a controller to heat-up a little?