Exploring Japan's Fascination With Robots

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Exploring Japan's Fascination With Robots

An affection for robots is an intrinsic part of Japanese culture, but what is it about them that holds such fascination?

The Japanese have embraced technology in a wide variety of ways, but robots have earned a particularly special place in their hearts. Whether it's an Aibo, Asimo, or Mobile Suit, robots have become an indelible part of Japanese culture. To understand why, explains John Funk in Issue 225 of The Escapist, you must first understand a bit of Japanese history:

Japan was not the first country to pursue industrial robotics, but it did so with uncommon enthusiasm, an attitude which remains to this day: As of 2008, the country still leads the world in both stock and sales of industrial robots. As robots took their place in Japanese factories, so too did they take their place in Japanese pop culture. In 1952, Osamu Tezuka, now considered one of the forefathers of modern manga, published the first volume of Tetsuwan Atomu, known in the West as Astro Boy. Astro Boy followed the eponymous young robot as he fought crime and discovered humanity in a classic Pinocchio tale. Unlike most Western robots, such as those of Isaac Asimov or The Jetsons' Rosie, Astro Boy was not a servant or a sidekick; in his story, the robot was the hero.

Japan's love of robots led to the construction of a multimillion dollar, 60-foot Gundam statue. Was it worth it? Was it a national symbol of hope and love, or a pointlessly expensive publicity stunt? Read the rest of Pilgrimage to Mecha [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_225/6705-Pilgrimage-to-Mecha#at] and share your thoughts.

Peace Frog

May 31, 2008
They should keep it for longer than 2 months. Everyone loves it xD
Hopefully it'll go on a tour.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Tyras612 said:
Stupid. No.
Pointless. No.
Awesome. Yes
Worth it. Of course.
Gundam is the Star Wars of Japan but with a bit higher super fanboy concentration.
Gundam is a symbol to the Japanese people so there's nothing stupid or pointless about making a statue in it's honor.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Idk, its hard to say if it was worth it.
Gundam has been around a long time, and like John Funk touched on in his artical, Gundam Represents something that Japan has been striving for sence it started pushing forword into technological advancement.
Hope and a Future.
So in my opinion, Yes.
It was worth it, and if i had the money, a replaca of the Burning Gundam would be standing in my backyard right now. :)

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Gundam is the Star Wars of Japan but with a bit higher super fanboy concentration.
Give me a nudge when you find a 60 foot statue of an X-Wing or something please, I'd like to see that.

As for why they're so fascinated by them? Theres millions of the buggers crammed on a small island; if I was in that situation it wouldn't be long before I started dreaming up giant robots to help lower the surrounding population! ;)

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Fasckira said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Give me a nudge when you find a 60 foot statue of an X-Wing or something please, I'd like to see that.

As for why they're so fascinated by them? Theres millions of the buggers crammed on a small island; if I was in that situation it wouldn't be long before I started dreaming up giant robots to help lower the surrounding population! ;)
We may not make enormous statues of X-Wings but look at all the Star Wars paraphernalia. Yeah that's what I thought.
For your second paragraph, no. I know your trying to me clever but to Japan Gundam represents a future and hope.
After you reference Gundam and delve into it's culture you can come back and talk to me.
Here I'll get you started [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_225/6705-Pilgrimage-to-Mecha#at].

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
We may not make enormous statues of X-Wings but look at all the Star Wars paraphernalia. Yeah that's what I thought.
Well yes, but they already have loads of Gundam paraphernalia as well.

Frank_Sinatra_ said:
For your second paragraph, no. I know your trying to me clever but to Japan Gundam represents a future and hope.
After you reference Gundam and delve into it's culture you can come back and talk to me.
Here I'll get you started [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_225/6705-Pilgrimage-to-Mecha#at].
You're right, it was just supposed to be a little jest but you cant take an article that covers the opinions of fans and use that as a blanket fact that represents the entire belief held by every person living or from Japan.

EDIT: On reflection you could do that, but Im implying that it wouldn't be right. :p

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Fasckira said:
You're right, it was just supposed to be a little jest but you cant take an article that covers the opinions of fans and use that as a blanket fact that represents the entire belief held by every person living or from Japan.
The thing is though, that in Japan it's a pretty wide consensus that Gundam fucking rocks.
To quote John Funk:
CantFaketheFunk said:
This is, after all, the country with themed Zeon and Federation bars where one can order cocktails like the Zaku Tank or the Black Tri-Stars. This is the country where iconic antagonist Char Aznable decorates everything from mobile phones to Game Boy Advance handhelds to credit cards. This is the country where megapopular J-rocker (and notorious Gundam fan) Gackt played the famous Gihren Zabi funeral speech [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a87gJSNm9t0] before a concert and got a stadium full of screaming girls to join him in chanting "Sieg Zeon!" This is a country where Gundam arcade games take place in a life-size recreation of a mobile suit cockpit.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Fasckira said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:

The reason it was 60 foot statue because it was a 1:1 scale. Life size.

We have built life size X-Wings. Some of them even fly [http://www.geekologie.com/2007/10/life_size_xwing_fighter_ready.php] (albeit for not very long before breaking apart).

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Yes, but how does that relate to all of Japan seeing it as something that represents hope and future?

Amnestic said:
The reason it was 60 foot statue because it was a 1:1 scale. Life size.

We have built life size X-Wings. Some of them even fly [http://www.geekologie.com/2007/10/life_size_xwing_fighter_ready.php] (albeit for not very long before breaking apart).
After reading that link, I stand very much corrected!

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
No need to explore anything it's because Giant robots are farking awesome.

OK jokes aside I'd hazard a guess that it has something to to with Japanese culture and psychology. Japanese, males especially, work A LOT. It's the only first world country I know of where death by overwork is a serious problem. So you could take this one of 2 ways. Either A: They feel a kinship with robots because they feel like robots in there lives. Or B: They envision a future where robots can take up some of the work load giving them a break.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I'm still waiting for the giant Gundam statue to come to life and fight a giant MEGAS XLR statue.

Also, another reason why: Chicks dig giant robots.