Expo Fighter Reimagines E3 As A Fighting Game

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Expo Fighter Reimagines E3 As A Fighting Game

Wanna get noticed in the gaming industry? Create a game aimed solely at those who write text just like this.

E3 remains the biggest videogame conference of the year (if perhaps only in terms of mindshare), yet it's still largely an industry-only affair. Not that what happens there is a huge secret, and the public can attend if they're willing to shell out an unreasonable amount of cash, but unless you work in the industry your boss will likely never fly you down to Los Angeles for the event.

As such, we're wondering exactly who Expo Fighter has been built for. The game is somewhat akin to Street Fighter, only instead of Ryu, Ken and all of Capcom's other favorite stereotypes, Expo Fighter is populated by people like Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime (see attached, hilarious screenshot). Further, the game itself is rife with industry references. Whether or not that appeals to you hinges heavily on how much time you spend poring over gaming news.

Have a look at the title's official description:

The stage is set for the greatest battle in video game history... the battle for market share! The PC Master Race has enslaved the citizens of Earth and declared the one console future is upon us... the question is which console will it be?

Enter THE EXPO, a gathering of champions from the many splintered factions of the console market. Battling for the honor and survival of their company these fighters must use anything and everything to secure ultimate victory. All peripherals are allowed!

EXPO FIGHTER is a free to play web browser fighting game pitting video game industry inspired characters against one another. EXPO FIGHTER is planned for launch June 1st 2013.

Key Features
- Play as characters inspired by your favorite game industry personalities as you battle to decide the fate of the console wars!
- Online play featuring solo and faction based rankings
- Fighting system with strongly defined character match-ups yet still giving the player freedom to freestyle within those boundaries. Think SSF2T meets SF3:3S.
- Re-Imagined parry system and chainable ex attacks
- Arcade stick/Controller support
- Many other E3 Inspired references and Easter eggs

Like I said, Street Fighter for the gaming industry set.

As that synopsis states, the game launches on June 1. However, if you don't want to wait, you can play the current build of Expo Fighter by visiting the game's official site.

Before you rush off to punch virtual Reggie, humor me for a moment: Having read all of this, and now knowing what Expo Fighter is, how many of you are actually into this idea? I see this game and instantly recognize the references, but that's part of my job. Do those of you who have careers in the real world care about E3 to the point where you want it to be a virtual kumite?

If so, are all of your desires so bizarrely specific?

Source: Expo Fighter [http://www.wakinggames.com/Expo-Fighter/]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
You see, I totally get this kind of thing for a simple browser flash game or something... but this sounds like they put A LOT of effort into this thing. I'd agree that this game has a very niche audience. I'm kind of curious about it in all honesty, however.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
If Reggie's opening line is anything other than "My body is READY!" This game has failed

To answer your question there's plenty of lists of the greatest e3 bloopers out there so I bet most of us would get the references

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
If so, are all of your desires so bizarrely specific?
Yes, yes they are. The best part of E3 are the fuckton of GIFs that come out making fun of these guys and their rivalry.
Like these:

Then you also have those that place their faces on the characters, didnt manage to find a good one now but they are usually funny too

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
PoolCleaningRobot said:
If Reggie's opening line is anything other than "My body is READY!" This game has failed
Well, you have ninja'd a lot of people in this site, I believe.

So I guess I have nothing else to say but "RIIIIIIDGE RACERR!".

EDIT: and "599 US DOLLARS" for that matter... (Ah, Kaz, you're da man!)

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
PoolCleaningRobot said:
I can already imagine the start of the round:

[h4]3...[/h4]
[HEADING=3]2...[/HEADING]
[HEADING=2]1...[/HEADING]
[small]my body is[/small]
[HEADING=1]READY![/HEADING]​

...YEP. that's pretty much it : O
will try the game later, the dev blog seems pretty interesting, considering the detailed descriptions of moves/etc.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
Colbster94 said:
Quick question, How many polygons does David Cage have?
1,000,000. That is the ideal amount of polygons and, thus, the ideal amount of emotions. He knows Ellen Page. Emotions.