Extended Edition Lord of the Rings Finally on Blu-Ray

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Extended Edition Lord of the Rings Finally on Blu-Ray

For the first time, the full extended edition of Jackson's movie trilogy will be available in high definition glory.

Mark your calendars, The Lord of Rings trilogy is coming out on BluRay on June 28th, 2011. The package looks pretty damn sweet with all three movies coming on 6 BluRay discs. All of the special features stuff looks like it's still on DVD, which seems an odd choice, but I could imagine it would have taken a long time to upscale all that footage to high definition. The best part is that the pre-order price for this set isn't crazy expensive, only knocking you back $84.95 if you preorder it before the ship date.

[gallery=166]

Now, like me, many of you might own the DVDs of all the Extended Editions already, so you may not be jazzed to get this set. The allure of seeing every pore and pockmark on Gollum's face with the increased resolution that BluRay offers may not be enough to throw down almost 100 bones once you factor in tax and shipping. For you naysayers, allow me to point out that the package comes with seven 5x7 glossy photos. Sold!

Joking aside, if you don't have the Extended Edition DVD set already, this package is the way to go. I vastly prefer the detail and pacing of the Extended Edition, which adds almost three hours of edited footage to the running time of the trilogy. Moments like witnessing Galadriel give her gifts to the Fellowship, or the procession of elves through the Shire as Frodo and Sam set out, just to name a few moments from The Fellowship of the Ring, increase the authenticity of Jackson's adaption greatly.

At the very least, owning these BluRays will tide you over until The Hobbit comes out in theaters in 2012. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108645-Much-Maligned-The-Hobbit-Actually-Starts-Filming]

Preorder it at the WB store now [http://www.wbshop.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-WB-Site/default/Page-Show?], before the offer to buy them at this price expires. Who knows how much three BluRays will be once it hits the shelves?

Smeagol150

Emperor of the Moon
Oct 20, 2008
I'm very, very happy for this. I shall put aside my money and be happy to do so.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I haven't actually seen the extended editions, so I might get this and have an EPIC NERD DAY and watch all of it. It would be awesome.

I'll need some Mountain Dew.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
6Blu rays?

Forgive my ignorance, but does that mean that the extended films are divided up into the Six 'books' of the actual Book? Or just that each one is so massively long it cuts out half way through and you have to change disc?

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
TheRightToArmBears said:
I haven't actually seen the extended editions, so I might get this and have an EPIC NERD DAY and watch all of it. It would be awesome.

As someone who's done this, you'll need it. Preferably as an IV drip. If you're either a fan of the films or of the books, the extended editions are well worth the money. I may buy this, but considering I already own them on DVD I'll probably just wait until they're cheaper or ask for it for my Birthday.

Edit:
thenumberthirteen said:
About damn time. I still can't believe they released the edited version without the extended cut.
Money dear boy.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
6Blu rays?

Forgive my ignorance, but does that mean that the extended films are divided up into the Six 'books' of the actual Book? Or just that each one is so massively long it cuts out half way through and you have to change disc?
Probably more likely that the films are on one disc each, and the various documentaries that were with the original extended DVD release are on the other three (along with the Costa Boates documentaries that came with the re-release a few years ago).

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I've only seen the movies in theaters and then the regular versions on DVD's years ago, and this is something that gives an initiative to buy both a Blu-ray drive and this set at some point.

Although I kind of like not seeing the movies because I like to reread Silmarillion, Hobbit, and The Lord Of The Rings every now and then, and the movies tend to steal room from imagination. Especially if watched relatively recently.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I already have them on DvD, so why would I spend even more money on them[footnote]Well I personally didn't use any of my money to get them, I got them all as christmas persents.[/footnote]? I mean, Blu Ray movies ain't cheap, and I ain't swimming in dosh here.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
I feel the same about this.
It is great to habe such great movies on blue-ray but unfortunately I already have all extended Versions on DvD.

But if I would want to buy the movies now this would be the way to go.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:

Your going to need a entire warehouse of Mountain dew to get through the entire extended trilogy.. It is like, 20 hours long or something.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
Woah and this week I was about to cave and by the theatrical cuts! Having said that you can pick up the theatrical editions for £16 whereas the extended editions are likely to be £60+. I kind of wish I hadn't lost/broken all my dvds now!

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Next up the extended-extended editions with 30 extra hours of interviews and documentaries actually in native hd...

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
I only got Rotk extended edition on DVD before, which was then lent to my dad and never seen again by me :(

I actually spent like 3 days looking for this before, now it's finally here! >:D

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
28th June? that's my birthday. coincidence? i don't think so :) shame i don't have a blu-ray player

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I smell a marathon coming, that and a lot of pizza and beer coming my way.

I'm saving some cash to get this, I was wondering when they would release an extended version of this.

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
6Blu rays?

From the article
"All of the special features stuff looks like it's still on DVD, which seems an odd choice, but I could imagine it would have taken a long time to upscale all that footage to high definition."

so it should be 3 uninterrupted 4 hour nerdgasms.

Kyoh

Oct 12, 2010
I knew those rat bastards would do this. Release the DVDs (make money), release the Extended edition DVDs (make money), release the Blu-Ray THEATRICAL version (make even more money), and then finally release the Blu-Ray EXTENDED version (make tons of money).

Money hogging bastards.

...And god dammit I'm going to buy it. Just glad I didnt blow my cash on the first set of Blu-Rays.