Extended Edition Lord of the Rings Finally on Blu-Ray

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
TheRightToArmBears said:
I haven't actually seen the extended editions, so I might get this and have an EPIC NERD DAY and watch all of it. It would be awesome.

I'll need some Mountain Dew.
If you were "meh.." about the LOTR Trilogy in any way.. the Extended Editions may be too much for some people.

As an avid fan of LOTR... I think the EE's are the ONLY way to go. I can't watch the theatrical versions of these films anymore... they're incomplete. This is how Peter Jackson meant for you to see these movies.

If you really enjoy the films, this set is a true gift... with about 3 hours of extra footage.. that's like another LOTR movie right there.

I had a couple of nerd weekends watching all three... took me from about 12PM-2AM roughly (with some breaks in between of course).

PseudoDuck

Bacon Robot
Oct 18, 2009
Been waiting for this. Watching them upscaled on DVD really shows up flaws in the picture quality.

Also, the film will no longer be split across two discs as, even with increased quality, there's plenty of room on a Bluray. The DVD versions were on 4 discs each, so it'll be one disc for the film and another for the special features.

Colour me excited. :D

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I want to buy this (really I do; I've yet to try out the blue ray player on my PS3) but what keeps me from running to the WB store is that I know after they're done with The Hobbit movies they will eventually release the grand daddy mega pack LoTR Trilogy + The Hobbit and then I'll be like "Shite, man why did I blow my money in 2011 on that pack that doesn't have The Hobbit Extended Edition movies and comes with a pair of Peter Jackson's undies that he wore during the shooting?!"

So yeah, I don't really want to buy any all inclusive mega pack until I'm damn sure they're done making the movies.

Ca3zar416

Sep 8, 2010
YES FINALLY!!!!! THE DAY I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR WILL FINALLY HAVE ARRIVED!!! I'm sure the person posting above me is right but I can't wait.....Now to find out price and make sure I can save up that much.

sune-ku

Cynical optimist
Mar 25, 2009
Damn, the day after my birthday! I'll have to wait a whole extra day to get hold of them!

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
FINALLY! I was so disappointed when the films originally came out on Blu-ray and I found out that they weren't the extended versions!

Must find money!

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Greg Tito said:
*snip*
which adds almost three hours of edited footage to the running time of the trilogy. *snip
Yes because running time was something the trilogy lacked......

OT: I'll probably get it, when I have a spare $80 :)

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
My sister has bought: The 3 regular editions on dvd, extended editions on dvd, regular editions on Bluray. My question is, once you've seen the extended editions, why would you go back to the regulars?

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Is there by any chance a cheaper offering that is literally just a compilation of all the fight scenes? Please?

I could only watch the films once each, and after that, I ended up fast forwarding. It feels pretty bad when I start wanting the cliffs for the movie based off of a book series.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
The unfortunate thing is that all the DVD extra discs are just copies of the same discs that came with the DVD collector editions. I'm sure that most of the extras couldn't be HD anyway, since they were mostly made for TV and were almost certainly recorded digitally, but at the very least they could have put all the SD footage for each movie onto one Blu-Ray.

Still, I doubt most people would be buying the set for the extras anyway - they just want the extended versions in HD.

fix-the-spade said:
Forgive my ignorance, but does that mean that the extended films are divided up into the Six 'books' of the actual Book? Or just that each one is so massively long it cuts out half way through and you have to change disc?
The latter. Fellowship of the Ring, the shortest of the trilogy, clocks in at 3.5 hours long with the extended edition. Return of the King breaks four hours. Once you add in the different audio and commentary tracks, the movies are quite possibly too big to fit on one disc. Or it could simply be that they are working from the exact same cuts from the original DVDs, and didn't want to try stitching them together.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I am interested on on und only one condition!

If the I don't have to change disks to play through each extended movie. I can accept that if I want to go from fellowship to return of the king, I'm going to have to change a disk. But I don't want to change fellowship pt1 to fellowship pt2. I suspect that one solid play will be doable, considering the blu rays ability. But never underestimate lazy design to port things over, upscaled or no.

darthricardo

May 7, 2010
Finally, what I've wanted ever since I heard of the non-extended versions being released on Blu-Ray. I already have the extended DVD's, but I'll be damned if I don't get these too. By the gods, I love the Lord of the RIngs so.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Bah. Bought the lite versions last year. Not interested in paying again for glossy cards (especially if the extras aren't HD. Can get the extended editions for £2 a pop in my local CEX)

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Well, my parents own the extended DVDs (and I didn't bring them with me when I moved out), so I might as well get this pack once it's out and I got a blu-ray player.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Kyoh said:
Just glad I didnt blow my cash on the first set of Blu-Rays.
...I did.

And it seems they have me by the leathery balls, because the urge to buy this set aswell will be gnawing at the back of my head untill I finally cave. *sigh*