Extra Punctuation: New Team Fortress 2 Classes

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
Fascinating read as always.

Your description of the Pilot class is an especially glaring example of why an actually realistic modern war game would be extraordinarily boring, and necessarily unfair.

Altogether however, I have to say that a class based shooter that actually included all these classes would be balls-out exceptional.

Yeah, I wanna play as the Tiger and piss on the control point. So much.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Its funny I guess but it feels more like some comedy Extra Punctuation rather than a building off of the Brink review

Also, Yahtzee I feel its unneeded to continue the shot joke. Returning jokes are one thing but we don't need it to be a "Like god of war but" stamp. Also taking a shot just doesn't sound funny.

Though it would be fun to be able to humiliate some enemy soldier. Placing GIF's of the enemy getting T-bagged on the walls. Thanks for creating the artist class. Might I recommend the General class for RTSers? Or perhaps the Brawler for Fighters?

Rorschach II

Mar 11, 2009
Having extra classes in TF2 would completely upset the balance of the classes. They all do their thing and have their weaknesses and strengths.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Imagine the griefing that would come from this... Propaganda Artist makes heavy cry, heavy runs off to find Councillor, Councillor is in fact spy... Heavy dies while crying like a baby.

Take my money now!

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
I would definitely play this game if an optional class was, in fact, counseling other players to feel better about themselves. It would also be awesome to wield a stuffed animal, maybe Dead Rising 2 style.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
I do agree with his hatred of having to unlock everything through repetitive playing. That turned me off about MW2 (amongst other things) in that I had to wait until like level 43 to be able to unlock the second chance move, while in Black Ops I could do it within like the first 5 levels, which was good because getting it early helped me build up my confidence and made me want to play more, unlike MW2 which just kept massacring me until I just lost interest. Some unlockables are okay, but don't force them upon us in order for us to get the full gaming experience.

wfpdk

May 8, 2008
idk. i think adding classes would simply upset the class balance. TF2 simply did it right, it is to online fps's what WoW is to MMO's.

Tenkage

May 28, 2010
Quick Question: Why hasn't anyone tried to hire Yahtzee as a game designer, or at least a person to look over the plot/gameplay/characters/ect. I mean if I were making a game, a few months before announcement I would try to get an expert opinion. And the idea of Yahtzee's improved Brink, I like. It would make a shooter much better.

I got some ideas

Cook: You can drop tasty treats over the battlefield, if your team eats them they regain health over time. However you can also drop poisoned treats and if the enemy eats them, they lose health, however you got to make sure your team doesn't eat them

Builder: You can build cover for your team to hide behind, not the best class as a lot of people would aim for you, but good for objective based gameplay

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
'What the Tiger loses in long-distance attack ability it gains in the fact that it's a fucking tiger.'
As good an argument for the usage of vicious cats in games as I have ever heard...

On a more serious note, the points made about a need to allow customisation from the get-go in Brink do make a lot of sense - this was the one area in which it could make a better game to pick up anew instead of Team Fortress 2. Remember that when first playing TF2 there is also a steep learning curve, as you try and work out how to Rocket Jump whilst being continually dominated by more experienced players, and this would seem comparable to the difficulties involved in playing Brink.

However, TF2 requires money or a lot of graft to get any sort of customisation for your characters, particularly in terms of looks, and this is the weakness Brink could have exploited, especially if there was no plan to charge for hats anyway...

Just something to think about while you drink your required three shots!

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
I guess this isn't one of the series-toned Extra Punctuation ^_^

All those classes are quite good, but I say there should be one more. You should get to play as a wall. You would stay down in the ground in a certain pathway waiting for someone to come by. When the enemy ahppens to run down the corridor, you spring up and they hit their face on you damaging them as they curse aloud at being blocked from their objective. You would also have an ability to randomly spawn in another corridor, but this would have a long cool-down. Of coarse, the Propaganda Artist can kill you by putting up grafiti on or near you. However, then you just spawn in another random location.

This class would be perfect for trolls :D

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
In terms of online multiplayer, I still say a "less is more" attitude. It is is easier to balance and make unique fewer characters rather then make balance and more unique more characters. What is so great about Shogun 2 is that instead of hundreds of units who are all the same with slightly different stats, you have at most 40 units who all follow a very basic "rock, paper, sissors" formula. Spears beat horse, horse beats sword, sword beats spear, while ranged units can harm anybody at range they are useless in a melee. Brink just fails at both quality of uniqueness and quanity of classes.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Damn it, now I want a class-based multiplayer game where you can control a tiger...preferably a mechanical one...

Feb 13, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
So. Brink, besides being what a racist caricature of an Oriental person would say is their favorite Doctor Who episode, is also a disappointing game.
Yahtzee is credit to team!