Extra Punctuation: Roleplaying Homosexual in Dragon Age 2

Hendar

Mar 20, 2009
lol made my hawke into a trashy slut, was fun. Flirted with everyone, even after getting together with one character. I'd like to think it is Hawke's way of coping with the stress and responsibility people randomly throw on him.

Ravison

Feb 9, 2011
I wanna be the very best.
Like no one ever was.
...at 'horizontal spelunking' with a Tepig?

Black Phoenix

Iridescence
Sep 19, 2010
Yahtzee does make a number of interesting points here. I haven't played Dragon Age 2 myself yet (I doubt my poor long-suffering desktop would run it, and my laptop turns it's nose up at most games, blasted Sony messing around with graphics drivers...), but when i do play it, and I intend to, I think it'll be interesting to play around with the relationship options.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
"Are there men so insecure that they're offended by fictional gay men coming onto their fictional avatars?"

Not me. But then again, I tend to play as a woman...

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
If I at some point play Dragon Age 2, I'm most likely to make a character that reflects my own sexuality(at the first play-through anyway), but mainly because you don't get to play as a lesbian often enough.

Also, I'm 100% lesbian, but there have been gay male/hetero romances or couples I've liked because the story was good or they were cute together or fit well with each other. And even preferred the straight pairing over the lesbian one because I liked the hetero-couple more.

I'd just prefer not to watch them have sex.

GoodApprentice

Apr 27, 2010
I think it's a sad, sad commentary that so much time and effort is spent discussing the "romances" in bioware games.

Luthir Fontaine

Oct 16, 2010
Why are people so homophobi?

Its not your going to get the case of the "gays" by playing a game... haha

Always fun to poke fun at homophobis go and "hit" on them its funny as all hell how mad they get.

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
GoodApprentice said:
I think it's a sad, sad commentary that so much time and effort is spent discussing the "romances" in bioware games.
He's paid to write about games and the romance in that particular game, with all the controversy surrounding it interested him, lighten up dude.

OT: I find myself playing the same way that Yahtzee described here, simply playing the game and not deciding on the outset 'I SHALL BONE TALI' etc That being said, I cant say I've ever had a gay character in my experience with RPG's... Hmmm.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Lieju said:
If I at some point play Dragon Age 2, I'm most likely to make a character that reflects my own sexuality(at the first play-through anyway), but mainly because you don't get to play as a lesbian often enough.

Also, I'm 100% lesbian, but there have been gay male/hetero romances or couples I've liked because the story was good or they were cute together or fit well with each other. And even preferred the straight pairing over the lesbian one because I liked the hetero-couple more.

I'd just prefer not to watch them have sex.
Here here, games totally need more lesbians. Though I highly doubt my reason is the same as yours.

Mr Chris

Dec 13, 2010
GoodApprentice said:
I agree; it's so strange that people actually want to get someone fired because of something they didn't like (although iirc the gay part was only a smaller part of a larger rant about the quality of the game...). I just don't like the way certain members of the gay community (or indeed any minority) throw their weight around as though the very fact of being part of a minority makes their opinion far more powerful.

If anyone gets fired over this it will be a sad day for the human race...

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Actually this is what I really liked about DA2. I take role playing the same way, I am playing a character in a story, trying to decide what they would do and what they wouldn't. And in DA2 I felt like I had an incredible amount of fidelity when it came to making my character behave the way I thought they would behave. It was crazy the number of times I was like, "I would do this if I could" but then, well, I could. I think a good indication is that, at the end of the game, most of my party betrayed me, ran away, or died and I was left with, I think, three friends. From a gameplay point of view not the best ending. I loved it though, because all throughout I had been playing a kind of unlucky hero who tries to do the right thing, but always ends up sacrificing too much. And thats exactly what happened...

P.S. I also had a great time talking about what happened with friends. The three of us played very differently and things turned out very different for all of us. I mean, the broad strokes were the same, but who we talked to, what they said, what quests we went on, were all very much unique.

xscoot

Sep 8, 2009
I read the first page and agreed with everything he said.

The second page read like gay fanfiction. It was... weird. Since the lead writer actually does read and write gay fanfiction (or so I am told. She certainly enjoyed Twilight), this makes... sense?

powercall

Jun 21, 2008
I kinda feel that everyone ismcomplaining about nothing when it comes to the sexuality of characters in this game.
Also I'd like to note the fact that my last name is indeed Anders... Except I'm black... Weird right?