Extra Punctuation: What is Mature Anyway?

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
Yahtzee raises interesting points. Obviously his conclusion isn't based on practical considerations, but it's true that games have differing levels of "maturity" yet all get the M rating. I'd say that Red Dead Redemption is a rather mature game compared to most fare, because it has a very artistic way of dealing with its world. Bioshock and Fallout 3 are similar, but there's nothing on the box to say that these games have a slower, more thoughtful pace than Duke Nukem Forever or Call of Duty: Black Ops.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
So here's what I've come up with. Instead of an age rating, the covers of games should depict a character from literature whose mindset you'd most need to sympathise with in order to get the most out of the product.
As I read this the ratings for Acorn cinema game reviews came to mind. You know, when instead of a numeric score he compares a game to a certain famous woman. It's the most colorful and surprisingly well done rating system I've seen in a long time.

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
Maybe the characters from "mortal kombat" are eunuchs. It's cruel of you to mock them.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
I wish we lived in a rational enough world where ratings weren't necessary. Where we could all be reasonable enough to just put down something we don't like or agree with and not kick a stink about it. Or trust that people will parent their own kids without demanding the government or all of society do it for them.

Unfortunately I don't live in a time and place that really allows for that kind of expectation. Instead the North American expectation is that we all must child-proof our world and lie to kids about stuff they probably already know.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Ah, god I hate children... Anyway, no cocks in Mortal Kombat actually bothers me. Kinda looks really stupid.
And I have to agree that current approach to game rating is way off.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Fully agree with that Last paragraph. I vote for the "Fuck it!" party.

And that "Decapitation=fine, woman's breast=Save the CHILDREN!" mentality really needs to go away. I mean, I know cultural habits die hard...but it's been what, 200 Fucking years since the 1800's.

It's really just the United States too. They're the ones who are most Vocal about it, if nothing else.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
This is the ESRB version of the rating scale problems Jimquisition dealt with this week.

I am for a imdb sytle parent guide for games. If this exists let me know. Theres a big damn difference in my teenagers playing mortal kombats obviously comic violence, and dealing with LA Noire's Homicide cases...

BTW Yatz! LA NOIRE, for the mediocre at best game it was, that homicide section dealt with violence and aftermath pretty well. Until it dragged on for WAY too many cases.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Jumwa said:
I wish we lived in a rational enough world where ratings weren't necessary. Where we could all be reasonable enough to just put down something we don't like or agree with and not kick a stink about it. Or trust that people will parent their own kids without demanding the government or all of society do it for them.

Unfortunately I don't live in a time and place that really allows for that kind of expectation. Instead the North American expectation is that we all must child-proof our world and lie to kids about stuff they probably already know.
True and timely.

Yahtzee's article couldn't come in a more relevant time, considering what just happened with California's legislation.

Personally, I don't mind the rating system. As an industry controlled system, its not perfect, but at least is an excuse to tell an outraged mother "Didn't you notice the big M in the front cover of the game? What did you expected a game called Grand Theft Auto be about? Knilling?". Also, its much better than the alternative.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
I do have to give some credit to the ESRB in that they are including content descriptors and actual paragraphs that describe fully the content in the game. Of course, that can only work so far when you realize that the masses need to go to the website and actually look this stuff up in order to get this info.

Ah well, I've been telling myself lately that we're gradually getting better at this, that nothing noticeably changes even in one generation. So we set the precedent and let history sort us.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
GrizzlerBorno said:
Fully agree with that Last para. And that "Decapitation=fine, woman's breast=Save the CHILDREN!" really needs to go away. I mean, I know cultural habits die hard...but it's been what, 200 Fucking years since the 1800's. Can we PLEASE put irrational prudeness behind us already?
While were at if can you stop using that frame for the arguement? There is a big difference between preforming impossible comically overly gory kills and Kratos fucking 2 chicks in a minigame.

Its more then "just tits, get over it"

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
CyricZ said:
I do have to give some credit to the ESRB in that they are including content descriptors and actual paragraphs that describe fully the content in the game. Of course, that can only work so far when you realize that the masses need to go to the website and actually look this stuff up in order to get this info.

Ah well, I've been telling myself lately that we're gradually getting better at this, that nothing noticeably changes even in one generation. So we set the precedent and let history sort us.
This is what I was looking for, I didnt know they did that and its exactly what I want. Its still difficult as violence is subjective.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
bombadilillo said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
Fully agree with that Last para. And that "Decapitation=fine, woman's breast=Save the CHILDREN!" really needs to go away. I mean, I know cultural habits die hard...but it's been what, 200 Fucking years since the 1800's. Can we PLEASE put irrational prudeness behind us already?
While were at if can you stop using that frame for the arguement? There is a big difference between preforming impossible comically overly gory kills and Kratos fucking 2 chicks in a minigame.

Why is there a difference, exactly?

MichaelMaverick

Jan 28, 2009
Mortal Kombat doesn't have dicks for convenience. People (99% of whom are guys) play it for the violance and gore. Guys don't want to look at another guy's junk. More than anything, they want to look at tits and vaginas.

Kids don't want forbidden fruit because it's forbidden, but because they're kids.
Many adults are just grown-up children, anyway, especially in the gaming community.

Christ, Yahtzee, you have the strangest logic sometimes.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
GrizzlerBorno said:
Fully agree with that Last paragraph. I vote for the "Fuck it!" party.

And that "Decapitation=fine, woman's breast=Save the CHILDREN!" mentality really needs to go away. I mean, I know cultural habits die hard...but it's been what, 200 Fucking years since the 1800's.

It's really just the United States too. They're the ones who are most Vocal about it, if nothing else.
Its a cultural thing. In countries like Germany its almost the other way around (breasts = fine, decapitation = hide our children), that is why Left 4 Dead 2 and Manhunt were banned there...

I do agree the double standard is not helping... but, then again, my opinion comes from a country that is pretty liberal in sexual content depictions.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
bombadilillo said:
GrizzlerBorno said:

Wow, being deliberately obtuse. Good angle.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
bombadilillo said:
Kahunaburger said:
bombadilillo said:
GrizzlerBorno said:

No, I'm honestly kind of curious about your mindset. What's the big difference (that you apparently think should be obvious to others) between gratuitous sex and gratuitous violence?

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
bombadilillo said:
Kahunaburger said:
bombadilillo said:
GrizzlerBorno said:

No, I'm honestly kind of curious about your mindset. What's the big difference (that you apparently think should be obvious to others) between gratuitous sex and gratuitous violence?
Theres a reason the coyote gets smashed with a giant mallet instead of the Roadrunner whipping its cock out and fucking him. If you cant see the difference...I dont know how to explain it to you.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
bombadilillo said:
Kahunaburger said:
bombadilillo said:
Kahunaburger said:
bombadilillo said:
GrizzlerBorno said:

Theres a reason the coyote gets smashed with a giant mallet instead of the Roadrunner whipping its cock out and fucking him. If you cant see the difference...I dont know how to explain it to you.
Except the coyote doesnt show realistically his entire body crushed into a massive pulp, as his intestines spill out, his blood covers the ground, and you watch the inside of his skull, as well as his bowels emptying on the floor. Yeah, realistic image makes it sound bad doesnt it? We're not discussing cookie cuttered violence here. That mallet to the head in the kids eyes is like a fist to the shoulder.
No one is asking for sex to be taken less seriously than violence, but violence is considered better than an act of love.