Extra Punctuation: Yahtzee Could Have Written Duke Nukem Forever

ColdBlooded

Feb 8, 2011
The sly collection (all three games) are available right now, so yahtzee if your interested try them out. I think you'll like them and even if you don't, they are much more unique and varied then a lot of other games out right now.

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
I wonder what would it be like if Yahtzee wrote L.A.Noire.

The interrogation options would include calling the suspect a twat.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
My first thought was "a child could have written DNF," but apparently he meant he had the actual option, so that joke is down.

cjbos81 said:
The interrogation options would include calling the suspect a twat.
A hard-boiled cop with a British accent, a sweet hat, and many, many "your mum" jokes.

beetrain

Nov 17, 2009
Between Yahtzee, Sterling and the Giant Bomb crew, everyone seems to think DNF would have been a lot better if Duke's character was played ironically. DN5, maybe?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'm a little puzzled by the love for Infamous 2's writing.

I mean, sure, I wouldn't call it bad by any measure. It certainly had its moments. There was some fun dialogue, Kuo was a decent character and the endings managed to convey some emotional impact. But, well... shouldn't that be about standard?

I dunno, maybe saying this makes me sound like a bit of a prick, but I feel that it says a lot about the overall quality of video game writing that Infamous 2 can be regarded as outstanding.

PS. Oh, and about DNF. I can understand why the developers didn't want to make fun of Duke. Can you imagine the fanboy rage that would have ensued? Somehow I doubt the people eagerly awaiting the game wanted to see their hero portrayed as a self-mockery.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
I'm mildly surprised he didn't do another deja vu thing like he did in the Fable 2 review where he noticed it was the sequel to the game that started this whole thing. Infamous (and Prototype) was the game that started the Extra Punctuation articles, or at least helped them get off the ground. It's possible that XP was a premeditated act for Yahtzee, but I feel like the Infamous vs Prototype contest is what started it all.

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
I would love to see Yahtzee write the script for a game. Game writing is such a mess as a whole, and getting a professional writer (Mogworld was awesome, for the record) would be nice

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Oh how I wish Infamous 2's UGC had a simple like/dislike choice. All missions now are either unrated, or have a score of 2.x / 4.x -- meaningless.

As for Infamous 2's writing -- it fit the game perfectly. Just like you don't go to a Michael Bay movie expecting a plot, all Infamous 2 had to do was provide a setting with its story, and in that they succeeded perfectly. It might not be worth awards, but Cole's choices are rationalized pretty well for both the goof and evil paths.

beetrain said:
Between Yahtzee, Sterling and the Giant Bomb crew, everyone seems to think DNF would have been a lot better if Duke's character was played ironically. DN5, maybe?
Matt Hazard with the DNF engine (and the tediousness stripped away), and you have the prototype of that.

Jun 7, 2010
"apocolyptic ending"

Yahtzee, i've had the past two games i've played (L.A Noire and portal 2) spoiled by shits on message boards and youtube comments. If this is a big spoiler I swear...

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Wow, he could of ended up writing DNF?
That would be weird...
oh, and the bit about inFamous 2, i believe there will be a sequel, as it continues on basically from the good story and there is an electric question mark at the end.
So yeah, just my humble opinion :p
And if there was to be a sequel, they might even have to make 2 games to cover both endings.

Head Chef Dom

Nov 8, 2010
I'd have loved to have seen how Duke Nukem Forever could've turned out now. Oh well, the game itself would still have been awful so maybe being turned down was a good thing

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I don't understand exactly why they wanted the game to be about other silly people, I like your idea. Duke in a world that has moved on while still possessing too large an ego to care or listen would add so many layers of depth to the game.
Then again, It would be pretty hard to admire Yahtzee's writing in the midst of 2 minute load screens.

dnadns

Divine Ronin
Jan 20, 2009
I wonder how one could come to the conclusion that inFamous ends after the 2nd part. The last scene of the good ending pretty much hints at a sequel with it's "lightning question mark". Without spoiling too much, I'd say that if it just were a flash of lightning, I might see the argument, but it clearly represents a question mark and there seems to be no reason for them to include that other than continuing with the series.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Zhukov said:
I'm a little puzzled by the love for Infamous 2's writing.

I mean, sure, I wouldn't call it bad by any measure. It certainly had its moments. There was some fun dialogue, Kuo was a decent character and the endings managed to convey some emotional impact. But shouldn't that be about standard?

I dunno, maybe saying this makes me sound like a bit of a prick, but I feel that it says a lot about the overall quality of video game writing that Infamous 2 can be regarded as outstanding.

PS. Oh, and about DNF. I can understand why the developers didn't want to make fun of Duke. Can you imagine the fanboy rage that would have ensued? Somehow I doubt the people eagerly awaiting the game wanted to see their, um... hero portrayed as a self-mockery.
Actually, it does say a lot about the current quality of video game writing that Infamous 2 can be considered outstanding. I don't know if you've noticed, but many games these days range from mediocre to downright terrible in the writing section. There are obvious exceptions, and those are usually what I play but overall yes, game writing these days is crap. What Infamous 2 has should be the standard, but just because it should be doesn't mean it is.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Zhukov said:
Actually, it does say a lot about the current quality of video game writing that Infamous 2 can be considered outstanding. I don't know if you've noticed, but many games these days range from mediocre to downright terrible in the writing section.
Oh don't you worry, I've noticed.

Yee gods, have I ever noticed.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Here's my question to everyone out there in The Escapist land.

Let's say we live in the alternate world where Yahtzee DID write Duke Nukem Forever. Let's also say that Yahtzee's script was good despite having to conform it a bit to 3D Realm's ideals. So the game is still bad, but slightly better because of the way Yahtzee delivered it.

My question here is this: Do you think there would be groups of fanboys who would blatantly defend the game based solely on the fact that Yahtzee wrote it?

The answer to this question is "Yes" by the way...just to save you some time.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Isn't yahtzee the same man who said this about Alone in the Dark:

"the fire effects are extremely good, if you lean too close to the screen you risk losing your eyebrows. Normally this is something I highlight in a good game but instead I feel it just makes a bad game pretentious"

Having good writing in DNF wouldn't fix any problems, it would make those problems seem more disappointing.