Extraction (Formerly: Dirty Bomb) is Now Dirty Bomb again

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Extraction (Formerly: Dirty Bomb) is Now Dirty Bomb again

Dirty Bomb, if it's still called that when it releases, has opened beta sign-ups for PC.

Last year, Brink developer Splash Damage that it was officially changing the name of it's upcoming free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb to Extraction. Now, it looks like the developer is having some cold feet regarding the change, and thus, we're now officially back to Dirty Bomb.

"Long story short, the game's back to being called Dirty Bomb," said a developer in a blog post titled "Extraction is Dead, Long Live Dirty Bomb."

"This not only better reflects its personality, but also ensures that we have a single, consistent name across the globe. On top of that, we get to use #PlayDirty on Twitter #LetsExtract just didn't quite have the same ring to it - well, except for dentists, maybe)"

Though there's currently no official release date for the game, it is currently in a closed beta, which is expecting to ramp up in the coming months. You can sign up for the beta via the game's official website [http://dirtybomb.nexon.net/].

In related news, Splash Damage also confirmed that there will be dedicated servers available for Dirty Bomb in North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand.

So there you go. Before it's even been released, Dirty Bomb has had its name changed twice. Let's hope they stick with Dirty Bomb this time.

Source: Splash Damage [http://www.splashdamage.com/blog/1087/extraction-dead-long-live-dirty-bomb#.U4LbyfmSxv_]

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
This is the first I've heard of this game, but to tell the truth I really stopped caring after I saw "Brink".

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
"Extraction" sounds terribly generic

at least Dirty Bomb is lightly memorable

not that I care....its jumping on the TF2 thing...like loadout

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
is it super realistic like red orchestra 2 or wacky and amusingly over the top like TF2? or is it one of those modarn military shootars that cant commit with either tone and often end up being bland and boring?

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
NuclearKangaroo said:
is it super realistic like red orchestra 2 or wacky and amusingly over the top like TF2? or is it one of those modarn military shootars that cant commit with either tone and often end up being bland and boring?
None of the above. It's more a spiritual successor to ET with a Brink coat of paint.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
It's MMS + TF2 for sure, or in short Brink except they don't want to call it Brink any more because that was a disaster on all levels.

They might just got the bugs ironed out in these 3 years but their basic concepts remain which are plain dull.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I thought Splash Damage died from how heavy a flop Brink turned out to be. Shows I don't know much anymore.

I just hope Dirty Bomb has a mode called Extraction.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Kevlar Eater said:
I thought Splash Damage died from how heavy a flop Brink turned out to be. Shows I don't know much anymore.

I just hope Dirty Bomb has a mode called Extraction.

Nah, they went on to do the multiplayer for Batman: Arkham Origins after Brink. Which, yeah I know... but I can't be too mean about their work since I know people who are employed there. Ha

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Mr.K. said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
It's MMS + TF2 for sure, or in short Brink except they don't want to call it Brink any more because that was a disaster on all levels.

They might just got the bugs ironed out in these 3 years but their basic concepts remain which are plain dull.
In SD's defense, they have since admitted (in response to the criticism of brink) that a lot of it had to do with the publisher Bethesda and their insistence on releasing it early. They also weren't keen on the idea of effectively redesigning certain elements for consoles. If you look at Bethesda's track record as a publisher recently (RAGE, New Vegas, Elder Scrolls Online) there does seem to be a trend of games being pushed out the door before they are ready.

And the basis concept isn't dull. Enemy Territory and Quake Wars were both amazing team FPS games. It really comes down to the map design. The map design in Brink was definitely lacking compared to ET and ET:QW. Can't really comment on DB as it's still under NDA and regardless, there's not enough to reach a verdict just yet.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Vault101 said:
"Extraction" sounds terribly generic

at least Dirty Bomb is lightly memorable

not that I care....its jumping on the TF2 thing...like loadout
Except Splash Damage made Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (a most excellent free standalone entry to the franchise) years before TF2 came out. So it's more them revisiting their roots rather than jumping any bandwagons.

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
"Dedicated servers in Australia" for those non-Australians out there you have no idea how happy that makes me. I mean, I have no idea what this game is or if I'll even play it, but the fact that it'll have Australian servers makes my life so much easier.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Mr.K. said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

if they are going for a TF2 vibe, i seriously hope they remember TF2's most important lesson, SILHOUETTES ARE IMPORTANT! that is, if its class based

i cant believe no other class based games do what TF2 did, give each class a distinct silhouette

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
*sigh* F*ing Splash Damage... I still absolutely love Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (it's up there on my Top 10 list of my favorite games ever), but Brink... *sigh* F*ign Brink...

I stopped caring about Splash Damage long ago, if this game turns out to be amazing, then great!, if not... I guess it could be much worse... it could've been Brink...

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
NuclearKangaroo said:
i seriously hope they remember TF2's most important lesson, SILHOUETTES ARE IMPORTANT! that is, if its class based
i cant believe no other class based games do what TF2 did, give each class a distinct silhouette
Considering that, last I checked, the game is about blokes and blokettes only a step away from generic shooter character, and most weapons are variations of the generic assault rifle/smg, I don't think that'll be the case.

Also, it'll be published by Nexon as a F2P title.
Nexon is best known for high prices and P2W monetization.

I doubt it'll be worth it, unless you're in the rare crossover between hardcore fans of SplashDamage's formula, and people who can afford to pay for being competitive(or a private server if they'll offer those).

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Naqel said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
i seriously hope they remember TF2's most important lesson, SILHOUETTES ARE IMPORTANT! that is, if its class based
Considering that, last I checked, the game is about blokes and blokettes only a step away from generic shooter character, and most weapons are variations of the generic assault rifle/smg, I don't think that'll be the case.

Also, it'll be published by Nexon as a F2P title.
Nexon is best known for high prices and P2W monetization.

I doubt it'll be worth it, unless you're in the rare crossover between hardcore fans of SplashDamage's formula, and people who can afford to pay for being competitive(or a private server if they'll offer those).
and there goes any interest i had for the game

Toastngravy

Jan 19, 2009
Wait they're already in closed beta?
I was just participating in the Alpha not a month ago...

Well this game is clearly going to crash and burn fast,as those bugs were not fixed in that short period... There's no way.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
I think you failed to understand what alpha and beta actually entail, and that it's not necessarily an approximation of how close a game is to release, after all, even Dota 2 spent two years in closed beta. So I think you're jumping to some harsh conclusions here.

SupahGamuh said:
*sigh* F*ing Splash Damage... I still absolutely love Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (it's up there on my Top 10 list of my favorite games ever), but Brink... *sigh* F*ign Brink...

I stopped caring about Splash Damage long ago, if this game turns out to be amazing, then great!, if not... I guess it could be much worse... it could've been Brink...
Well it's going to be free, so what's the harm in singing up for a beta invite? If it's bad, well, you can explain why in the beta forums and if it's good, you got yourself a new FPS to play, so I don't think you can lose anything out of giving it a try.