"Extreme Gamers" Spend 48 Hours a Week Playing Videogames

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
"Extreme Gamers" Spend 48 Hours a Week Playing Videogames

A new report claims that players spend an average of 13 hours a week playing videogames, but a small portion of them game for two total days a week.

We're used to the Entertainment Software Association releasing reports talking about the demographics about the average gamer. Now, research group <a href=http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_100527b.html>NPD has put out their own report, which states that the average videogame player is 32 years old (which has been a constant age for a while now).

The report, "Gamer Segmentation 2010", also reveals some statistics that are more than a little surprising, and -in some instances- a little worrying. The study was conducted with 18,872 participants, ages 2 and older, though it should be noted that gamers between the ages of 2 and 12 participated via "surrogate reporting."

Gamers are broken up into seven distinct groupings: Avid PC Gamers, Console Gamers, Extreme Gamers, Heavy Portable Gamers, Offline PC Gamers, Online PC Gamers, and Secondary Gamers. Surprisingly, there's no mention of "Casual Gamers" being considered as a category.

According to the report, "When looking at the number of hours gamers spend per week playing video games, hours spent playing both console and PC games showed a marked increase over last year's study, with console games increasing 9 percent and PC games increasing 6 percent. The number of hours gamers spent playing portable games saw a decline of 16 percent.

"The average age of gamers increased slightly over last year from 31 years of age in the 2009 study to 32 years in this year's study. Avid PC Gamers and Offline PC Gamers, comprising 11 percent and 8 percent of the gaming population, respectively, are the oldest segments with an average age for both of 42 years."

The statistics of Extreme Gamers, though, are, well, extreme. These players are only four percent of the gaming populace, but they apparently spend 48.5 hours a week playing videogames. This is nearly four times higher than the average amount of gaming time, which was listed at 13 hours.

So, let's say someone works full time and is an Extreme Gamer; if they get a full eight hours of sleep, that only leaves a grand total of 24 hours left over in a week for other activities. Even we aren't that obsessed with videogames.

Source: <a href=http://www.industrygamers.com/news/npd-extreme-gamers-spend-over-48-hours-a-week-playing-games/l>Industry Gamers

(Image)

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Two days a week... that's it? (only if I get a game that I know I can't beat in two days) I don't think extreme gamers need help; just another hobby.

mysterj

Mar 27, 2009
I think the study also shows the extreme gamer demographics have the lowest income, so is unlikely that they are working full time.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Yes, but what does it mean when you spend more time on the escapist then gaming itself?

Does it make you a Hard-Core Escapee?

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
these "extreme" gamers are those that have too much free times on their hands and most of that is probably spent playing Cod 6 MW2 and Battlefield bad Company 2

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
13 hours a week? I do that at the weekend, sometimes double that if I've no plans to go out.

I'd put myself around 30-35 hours a week...the equivalent of about 5hours a day.

For example I started and polished off Haze again thismorning and started on another run through the original Uncharted...

GideonB

Jul 26, 2008
I spend 0 - 20 hours a week depending on if I have any coursework due in or if I have family round. Or if I decide to play Monster Hunter Tri xD

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
Woah! I think I am in the average group most weeks. Mostly due to me not having a job. Not much else to do then. But 48 hours a week? That is messed up. I could never manage that.

xdgt

Apr 27, 2010
What are you talking about? 8 hours work, 8 hours of sleep - that leaves 8 more hours each day to play video games 8*7 = 56 and that if you don't count weekends which are 30 more hours where you dont sleep or work... 48hours a week is easy. And some poeple play WoW in the work place so 16 hours of gameplay a day...16*7 = 112.

Goth Skunk

May 27, 2010
48 hours on average a week, eh? That is definitely disturbing. I game pretty much every moment of free time I have, but between sleep and work, I can only muster up maybe 24-28 hours per week. Unless I'm on staycation, then I easily fall into that category.

xdgt said:
What are you talking about? 8 hours work, 8 hours of sleep - that leaves 8 more hours each day to play video games 8*7 = 56 and that if you don't count weekends which are 30 more hours where you dont sleep or work... 48hours a week is easy. And some poeple play WoW in the work place so 16 hours of gameplay a day...16*7 = 112.
xdgt, it's not that simple. If the day is broken down from 24 hours, assuming 8 hours sleep and 8 hours of work, indeed you are left with 8 hours in the day, but consider the following:

You need to eat.
You need to prepare meals.
You need to commute to work.
You need to commute from work.
You need to take care of a few mundane chores everyday when you get home, whether it's laundry, vacuuming, doing dishes, interacting with your pets, etc. Little bits of time here and there that could EASILY eat up 3 or 4 hours once all added up.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
When I cracked out on Deus Ex for the first time I put i >40 hours a week for three weeks playing that game. That included such awesomely addicted behaviors as driving 15 mins home from work, playing for 30 mins, then driving 15 mins back over my lunch break.

However upon finally finishing I had burned out so badly I was off all games for about 6 months and was damn productive with the rest of my life.

/cool story bro

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
Well... Guess I'm an EXTREEEEEEME GAMER!!! HRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAARH!!! YEAH!!!

Only because I had easy classes this semester... and I have no job... and I have nothing else to do...
Though... I do have time for other things... like personal hygiene... hanging out with friends... and I even have time to go out and apply for jobs.
Just the space of time between 7pm to about 2am is used for the playing of the vidjer games, which I play with friends... so it's not like I forgo any human interaction at all... I find single player games hideously boring due the lack of other real people.

Maybe I'm also in a smaller subcategory of EXTREME GAMERS(!!!!!!!!!!!!) who don't play any MMORPGs...

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
I want to see this report. Mainly because I want to see the percentage of PC gamers. The two sections listed make up 19%, although I imagine there would be some degree of overlap. What about Online PC Gamers? Where do they fit in? Do they outnumber the Offline PC gamers? Should the developers wise up and stop screwing over them with crappy ports and intrusive DRM?[footnote]I realise the answer to this question is "yes".[/footnote]

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
My friend spends most of every weekend playing games so I'm not surprised. I spend probably more than 13 hours playing. Hell I stayed up til 4 last night just because I'd just redownloaded Rome Total War! And even then I only went to bed because I realised the sun was coming up.