Eye-rolling-ly Stupid Deaths in Games

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
I've died from falling damage multiple times in World of Warcraft.

And I don't mean I was in combat and accidentally ran off a cliff or something, though that's happened once or twice as well.

No, I've jumped off the rises in Shattrath, I've fallen from Dalaran, I've leaped off of Wyrmrest Tower, dismounted above Stormwind (I'm a warlock, I was trying to see if I could save myself by using the teleport they got - It rarely worked as planned), fallen off the Darnassus Tree of Life, and fallen in the lava in Ironforge.

EDIT: Fun anecdote, actually. I was level 80 when I fell in the lava in Ironforge, so I actually had enough health to spend ten minutes assembling a group with fellow guild members, one of whom was another warlock, and have them summon me out of the lava to Dalaran.
I've died of falling damage in WoW a few times as well. My main character is a mage, so I could actually save myself from falling with Slow Fall. I like to dismount from my flying mount up in the sky and slowfall just before the ground for the lulz, but a few times I haven't been quick enough and died as a result.

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
WoW, doing a night of random dungeons with a few friends on skype, we are given Grim Batol, not sure how we got on the topic but one of them told me to be careful and not fall of the edge. all the way through I kept telling him that aside from the bridges "you cant fall of the edge, theres invisible walls" and he kept telling me there werent, eventually I said "Fine I'll prove it to you!" and just after killing General Umbriss (first boss) I turned round and proceeded to jump off the edge and to my surprise, no wall stopped me and I plummeted to my death. No ones ever let me live it down

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Deus Ex:HR
melee takedown and grenades were both assigned to thumb buttons
sneak to the enemy, mix the buttons, throw frag grenade, fun times :)

and most other times hand grenades were involved- I just can't use them right
How often I died from own plasma grenades in FO3 and FO:NV is beyond ridiculous

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Fallout New Vegas. You know when you piss off a group they end up sending assassins after you? Well one time the Caesers Legion sent soldiers after me, after there cut scene finished there was another with the NCR team saying they want to kill me. Ended up with both groups trying to kill me at the same time. I died. :-(

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
That one time in Nethack when I died on the Elemental Plane Of Air because I didn't realised I'd burned through an amulet of life saving.

I had another four in my BoH. And thirteen full healing potions. By the time I realised I was in trouble I was down to 19HP; enough time to take something out of my bag, but surrounded on Air is never good and my health didn't last out long enough to use it.

Thyra, killed by an invisible Archon (with the Amulet). Bah.

"killed by colliding with the ceiling" is still my all time favourite - I think I was the first person to get that one on alt.org.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Anything done via Unbelievable Cutscene Damage.

I recall playing through Front Mission Evolved and the very last scene of the game shows my Wanzer being TORN APART BY THE END BOSS!...even though I just got done utterly obliterating it with barely a scratch on me.

Or more recently, Borderlands 2, where a certain character gets shot once through the chest after enduring an incredible amount of gunfire for several minutes. Compounding this is the usual cutscene paralysis, wherein both the player character and another NPC (who has exhibited superhuman power and prowess prior to this) both stand there and let the Plot Railroad plow right through them.
...Or ignoring the contrived player respawn system, which is wholly owned by the villain...
Ugh. So much stupid.

Not all Cutscene Damage is bad though; I can totally believe Adam Jensen getting completely brutalized by a ridiculously augmented soldier in the prologue to DE:HR.

It's just when it seems contrived in such a way that it undoes or utterly contradicts the player character's abilities that I hate it, and it's unfortunately a very common trope to keep them plot railroads clear of obstruction.
It takes me right out of the game when that happens.

Kinitawowi said:
That one time in Nethack when I died on the Elemental Plane Of Air because I didn't realised I'd burned through an amulet of life saving.

I had another four in my BoH. And thirteen full healing potions. By the time I realised I was in trouble I was down to 19HP; enough time to take something out of my bag, but surrounded on Air is never good and my health didn't last out long enough to use it.

Thyra, killed by an invisible Archon (with the Amulet). Bah.

"killed by colliding with the ceiling" is still my all time favourite - I think I was the first person to get that one on alt.org.
Oh Nethack.
The amount of potential goofbane in that game is biblical.
Like how there's some 40 ways to die involving a Cockatrice.

I could spend a day recalling nary a tenth of my most comically stupid deaths in Nethack.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
FFP2 said:
trollnystan said:
One of the worst NPC deaths I've seen was in Eternal Sonata. She spends about TEN MINUTES (at least!) monologuing and flashbacking after being stabbed in the stomach. Ugh. Liked the game, despite it's super ridiculous premise, but that scene was dreadfully bad. I literally went and got a cup of tea halfway through and got back before it was finished.
Dude! I'm like 7 hours into that game! Granted it's like 6 years old but still:(

OT: Mine would probably have to be in Just Cause 2. I bailed out of my helicopter by mistake and tried to catch up with it.

Forgetting that helicopters have spinning blades on top of them...
I'm sorry! D= I'll edit it and spoiler it; too little too late, but maybe I'll spare someone else. I figure since I named no names it'd be safe =(

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
trollnystan said:
I'm sorry! D= I'll edit it and spoiler it; too little too late, but maybe I'll spare someone else. I figure since I named no names it'd be safe =(
Yeah I have no idea who you're talking about but I still got a little worried, it's not your fault:)

I know that
Frederic Chopin definitely kicks the bucket but so far nobody has died.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
so im playing Blood Bowl (and yes TB got me into it) and i had one of my skinks with the ball on the last game of my tournament and this goal would decide if i won or not and i sent my Skink (Mr Scales of wow) to the end line to make his touch down (my second to last turn) and he has to roll two sprint rolls, he makes his first and when he gets to the touchdown line... has a heart attack and dies
so then my last turn comes round and i have one other skink in range. all he has to do is make the same rolls and pick up the ball and when he gets to the end zone he also dies... FUUUUUUUHHH!

Syilph

Mar 9, 2012
Oh man, where do i start...
I guess I'll go with Dragon's Dogma.
Fighting a Cyclops on a not-so-wide mountainpath as a Strider a.k.a. Rogue, claiming an easy victory by stabbing the crap out of his eye, thinking I'm so badass watching him stumble to death while still clinging to his head, only to realize that he isn't stumbling... but falling.
Off the not-so-wide mountainpath. With me on his head.
As a person with gaming reflexes, I jump off high in the air arms flailing, just to watch my main pawn staring at me crashing down into the hard concrete of a rock. As smart as i am, saving my progress is something i do as often as changing shirts... only once or twice a day, so... yeah.

Well... I felt pretty dumb.
And not badass at all.
Always save your progress, kids!

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
Xcell935 said:
OT: Beginning of Resident Evil 4, got to the the lake with the boat, wanted some fish before crossing the creepy lake, shoot the water...
lets just say I got A fish.
A BIG fish.

Castlevania. First game, get to last life.
Plan to go out fighting, even if it means getting killed by a bullshit Medusa head.
What happens? The wrong direction is pressed while going up stairs and I fall straight down to my doom. Through the stairs.

Shadowkire

Apr 4, 2009
The deaths of most of the squad members in Halo: Reach.

As for stupid deaths I had control over: in Skyrim I played a mage who did his level best to avoid being hit by any attack, this meant a lot of backwards running. One time I ran backwards into a giant, then ran backwards from him into a sabertooth, then a dragon, then a bear, and finally I died to bandits.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Minecraft - three words, Fucking Falling Sand/Gravel. This was when I was new and exploring a cave, even died at the same area twice.

judgementbringer

Oct 25, 2010
My stupidest death has to be from Digital Devil Saga 1. I'm about 2/3 of the way through the game, haven't gotten a single gameover yet, and my brain decides to shut off. I get into a random battle with demons that I've fought 20 times before, and I completely forget their elemental resistances. So, instead of scanning them again, I decide to cast Maragidyne. The elemental resistance I forgot? They reflect Fire. So I stupidly just killed my own party with my own spell.

Also, in my first playthroughs of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, the majority of my deaths came from falling into pits. I died at least 5x more to gravity than I did to the bosses.

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011
I've received quite a number of stupid deaths from FTL, which makes for great emergent story telling but rather poor runs.

The very first time I got a teleporter I decided to test it out by sending my mantis crewmember into an enemy ship to try to disable their weapons systems. It was not until the teleporter had already fired that I realized the target was an AI ship, and thus had no oxygen. My mantis suffocated to death before the teleporter could recharge. Down an important crewmember, my ship was destroyed in the next battle.

One of the first times I flew through a nebula sector I got into a few fights with some slug ships. Hull barely intact, I managed to worm my way out of the nebula and, thinking myself safe, continue on my merry way. It wasn't until a while later that I realized my sensors were still disabled, despite having having left the nebula behind me. I sent someone down to fix it. It was on fire. In fact, pretty much the entire ship was on fire. Losing an engie to the blaze, I barely got the ship in working order, jumped to the next sector, and was blown to smithereens by a rockman ship. After that experience I got VERY GOOD at picking out the sound of fire among the background noise.

I teleported some mantis boarders onto the enemy ship to start slicing up their crew, and their screams of human pain made nice backround noise as I worked away at their subsystems. I teleported my boarders back onto my ship for healing and noticed that the screams of pain hadn't stopped. They weren't the enemy crew's. They were my human captain's, who had just collapsed in a bloody heap on the cockpit floor as the enemy mantises began bashing away at the controls.

They've sent boarders onto my ship? Well I'll just open up some airlocks and flush them out. *Open doors* *Door control gets hit with a missle and shut down* Well that's ok as long as they don't *Oxygen control hit with a missle and shut down* I might still be able to *Weapons control set on fire*.....Well crew, you can die in the fire or the void of space, at least we have options.

Never teleport your boarding crew onto the Rebel Flagship eight seconds before it's going to cloak. They will zerg rush you, and without an exit you will die. Personal experience.

How the hell are they punching into my hull? I just bought upgraded shields OH GOD I FORGOT TO TURN THEM ON explode.

OH GOD I FORGOT TO TURN THE MEDBAY BACK ON!

OH GOD I FORGOT TO TURN OXYGEN BACK ON!

Generic4me

Oct 10, 2012
GTA San Andreas's horrible parachute physics.

Because I'm an impatient bastard I only pull the ripcord at the VERY last possible second, and if CJ doesn't have the fucking parachute ONE-HUNDRED FUCKING PERCENT deployed, he insta-dies.

"HIS LEGS WHERE FUCKING DOWN AND HE WAS ONLY FALLING LIKE 1 MILE PER HOUR!"

AngryBritishAce

Feb 19, 2010
Well one of my most recent terrible deaths was in the Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer (DON'T JUDGE ME I ACTUALLY LIKE IT! :p )

Although this is kinda cheating, one of the things I like to do on lazy days is start a public game by myself and then complete a few rounds by myself for extra XP. By the time I get to more difficult rounds people begin to join and I have a nice score to boost me. It pisses people off, but I do it when I'm feeling lazy or straight after I've promoted a character so I don't feel like too much of a noob against higher levels.

I got my comeuppance.

I started a game by myself but no-one would join. I waited and waited but nothing. It was getting harder and harder to complete objectives and I ended up using all of my med kits and survival ops packs. I got to round ten, the final objective round before extraction. I completed all of the objectives (just) while avoiding tons of Geth pyros, rocket troopers, drones, hunters and that huge prime.

I dashed about after finishing the objective, trying to avoid large pockets of enemies and taking off one at a time. I managed to get to the last enemy, a lone Geth trooper.

I was a batarian, and I thought I'd finish off this trooper with a hard-hitting melee. Batarians have extremely powerful melee attacks, but they are really slow and clunky. I approached this one geth from the other side of the room. I was cocky, and even though he depleted my shields, I decided to keep going on and not take cover. He depleted some of my health when I got to him, but it was too late for this whelp!

I used heavy melee.

I was fully charged and ready to strike.

The Geth moves and goes behind me, at the last second.

Before the melee animation had finished, he had shot away all but one bar of health. I turned as quickly as possible but it was too late. He shot me dead, and with no med kits or other team members, I bled out and the mission failed.

D'oh

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
In The Witcher, having just arrived at the outskirts of Vizima, I was beset by barghests. I dispatched them with relative easy using the group style, but for some reason this made the mercenaries with the polearms decide I had to go, and I got murdered by a group of them outside the inn. I have tried, but I have never been able to replicate the circumstances that caused them to attack me. I still don't know what the hell happened.