Eyeballs to Explode Through id's Rage Novel

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Eyeballs to Explode Through id's Rage Novel

The next big shooter from id Software will be accompanied by a raging novel.

Fans that are boiling over with rage for id Software's next big game will have to take a breath and calm down for a few minutes to enjoy this announcement. Bethesda Softworks and Del Rey Books have revealed that they'll be turning id Software's upcoming Rage [http://www.amazon.com/Rage-Pc/dp/B003ICGL7I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1301490980&sr=8-3] into a novel to lead-in to the game's release.

Rage (also the title of the novel) will be written by Matt Costello, the author that previously worked on both novelizations [http://www.amazon.com/Doom-3-Pc/dp/B00006C2HA/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1301491828&sr=1-1]. This time he's coming down from Mars onto Rage's post-apocalyptic wasteland, which was made that way by the impact of an asteroid called Apophis.

Details on the novel are slim, but it appears to follow events similar to the game. A survivor named Lt. Nick Raine lucky enough to be safe from Apophis' impact in an underground shelter called the Ark emerges to discover that humanity hasn't been wiped out. Instead, the human race has been joined by a ton of weird mutants, and now there are cool dune buggies to drive (as seen in the latest Rage trailer). Civilized Ark dwellers such as Raine have to face this unexpectedly harsh new world, and try to survive without getting their faces bitten off.

Rage, the videogame, is expected on the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on September 13, 2011. Rage, the novel, is planned for release on paper on August 30, 2011 in North America and the UK, giving readers just enough time to work themselves into a rage before Rage comes out, at which point they'll be able to rage even harder.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
As much as I love id's games, I hate the fact that it sounds like a major Fallout ripoff. Just replace nuke with asteroid. Knowing id, though, it HOPEFULLY isn't that simple.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
The puns...they're too much...can't...take...anymore...

I'm looking forward to it. Although in generally more of a hysteria then a rage.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
It looks like a mix of Fallout and Borderlands......

ITS PERFECT!!

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Rage (also the title of the novel) will be written by Matt Costello, the author that previously worked on both novelizations [http://www.amazon.com/Doom-3-Pc/dp/B00006C2HA/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1301491828&sr=1-1]. This time he's coming down from Mars onto Rage's post-apocalyptic wasteland, which was made that way by the impact of an asteroid called Apophis.
Never read the novels of Doom 3, but if the author worked on the "story", and I use that word as loosely as possible, of Doom 3 then it doesn't bode well for the Rage Novel or Game.

dead_but_smiling

Apr 14, 2009
Colour me stupid (or underslept) but I don't get this bit: "the author that previously worked on both Doom 3 and Doom 3's novelizations". So, that's like two novelizations of the same game - do they need mentioning twice like this? :)

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage fury rage rage rage rage rage rage

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
So, Bethesda is paying id Software to make a Fallout ripoff with dune buggies. Weird.
Driving through post-apocalyptic landscapes sure sounds like fun, though.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I'm trying to insert a pun involving a raging hard-on... but... just... can't.

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
hahaha I got the idea that the game was literally going to have eyeballs exploding from people's heads when you shoot them. A book is nice though, if the story is really good in the game I might just pick it up.