F-Zero Arcade Game Discovered on F-Zero GX Disc

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
F-Zero Arcade Game Discovered on F-Zero GX Disc

We put some F-Zero in your F-Zero so you can crash horribly while you crash horribly.

First, a brief history lesson: Back in 2003, Nintendo released two F-Zero games. The first, F-Zero GX, landed on the GameCube, where it eked out a reputation for being both gorgeous and bastardly hard. Slightly less well known is GX's sibling, F-Zero AX, an arcade version of the game that ran on the Triforce arcade system board (which itself was basically a souped-up GameCube. The games were partially cross compatible; players could unlock extra tracks for GX by taking their GameCube memory card to an AX arcade machine. Oddly enough, not only were the AX tracks already on the GX disc - presumably making the title one of the earliest examples of on-disc DLC - a full version of AX was included as well.

A modder going by the name of "Ralf" discovered the hidden game - to be clear, this is actually the full game, not just the extra tracks - using an Action Replay cheat device. Using the codes detailed here [http://tcrf.net/F-Zero_GX#Leftover_F-Zero_AX_Code], players can boot AX and enjoy its traditional coin-op mode. The code was discovered late last year and was publicized today by RetroCollect.

While there's plenty of copies of GX floating around in the wild (I think there's at least three in the Carter household), AX is much rarer on account of it being a honking great big arcade machine. [http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/108/1080827183.jpg] This is great news for collectors or F-Zero enthusiasts who don't have a spare garage for storing bulky gaming cabinets.

Source: Retro Collect [http://www.retrocollect.com/News/hackers-find-f-zero-arcade-game-hidden-in-nintendo-gamecubes-f-zero-gx.html]

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Well that's pretty neat. I always like stories about discovering new things in games long after their time.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Man I used to love me some F-Zero.

Even more than Base Wars on the NES

I'm tempted to scrounge a copy, though, because I never got this game.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
This is HUGE for me I love fzero GX and it is so hard I never could earn the AX tracks at least all of them :p. I can finally enjoy all the AX tracks without ripping out my hair.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
F-Zero GX is SUCH a great game, even if it is INSANELY hard. Beating Story Mode was one of my favorite gaming accomplishments.

And EVERY RACER has a full CG movie you can unlock if you beat the most difficult races. Yeah, I only got about half-way through that, and that was a minor miracle. I really wish I could unlock the rest, but there are over 40 characters. Which means over 40 movies. Which means beating that hard-as-nails difficult track selection over 40 times. Insane.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Man I only got midway through the hardest difficulty before hitting my talent barrier on this game. It's next to impossible to get all 40 surely.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
That has to be the most retarded case of cut content on a games console ever.

I'd love to meet the people who crammed that into the Optical Disc so I can shake their hands. Then I'd like to meet whoever decided to 'cut' it from the release so I can give him a slap on behalf of every F-Zero player in the world.

But in the mean time I've got to track down a Gamecube Action Replay.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
That has to be the most retarded case of cut content on a games console ever.

I'd love to meet the people who crammed that into the Optical Disc so I can shake their hands. Then I'd like to meet whoever decided to 'cut' it from the release so I can give him a slap on behalf of every F-Zero player in the world.

But in the mean time I've got to track down a Gamecube Action Replay.
How is it cut content? You payed for F-Zero GX and you got F-Zero GX, the full game.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
BiH-Kira said:
How is it cut content? You payed for F-Zero GX and you got F-Zero GX, the full game.
Because any features present on a disc but not accessible through normal means are cut content, that's the definition.

An entire, fully functional game hidden beneath another entire, fully functional game is the mother lode of cut content, it's like a mythical sword in the stone that people would argue about for months on forums.

Also, it's an enormous dick move. That's development time, bug fixing and disc space budgeted out for what, so the boss can demolish dreams and laugh maniacally? Is it some kind of Nintendo in joke?

Normally stuff gets cut because of time, or it doesn't work, or if it's Capcom so they can sell it to you at a hugely inflated price later. But this one seems to be for nothing more than the lulz, whoever made the decision needs a slap, I stand by that.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
BiH-Kira said:
Because any features present on a disc but not accessible through normal means are cut content, that's the definition.
Not necessarily. It just might have been easier to get the assets needed (tracks, cars) by importing the whole game. Just because the full game is there doesn't mean they ever intended it to be a feature.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait! I still got a copy of that game (sure the game was hard but considering it was made for the Gamecube, the graphic were amazing)!
I guess all I need know if the action replay thing to make it work but in saying so I'm only interested at the characters/ F Zero's exclusively in AX.