Fable 3 is a hated game?

Demonjazz

Sexually identifies as Tiefling
Sep 13, 2008
Now this is coming from a man who never played the first two and just randomly picked three at a bargain store and it was bad but not horrible. It was ridiculously short though. I had fun with the combat but I have fairly low standards for combat. The story was just okay. Some of the sidequests were funny. Going on a killing rampage as a naked evil witch queen was always pretty fun. I don't know why but I really liked Walter for some reason. The Darkness was pretty creepy and I really liked him.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
I don't really think of Fable 2 or 3 as that solid of games. Both entertained me, and when I go a while without losing all my health it gets fun because I'll forget health doesn't matter and actually struggle to stay alive. But then I lose all my health and remember it does nothing except to give me a small scratch that lowers my charisma but doesn't matter because by the time the game gets hard enough to die you're a famous enough hero that everybody man and woman alike in the realm want you. Also there isn't much in the way of actual benefit to marriage, so charisma is even less useful.

I did have fun with the games, but they aren't at all challenging and their stories aren't very good.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Fable 3 was bad in part because of the broken promises (freedom! choices! exploration!), in part because it was a lot more linear and restrictive than Fable 2 had been, and in part because it just wasn't much fun. All of the character interaction is meaningless window dressing and the core fighting and spellcasting mechanics are weak and unsatisfying. The presentation was pretty poor too and the experience as a whole begins to grate pretty quickly (the next villager to say "If only we had a ring" in a Cornish accent is getting thrown off a bridge, I swear...)

The (in)famous Tree Bullshit was that in Fable 1, it was promised that you'd be able to start the game, carve your initials into a small tree, and you could come back many in-game years later and the tree would have grown complete with your initials scarred into the bark. Molyneux claimed in an interview that the tree-growing mechanics were in place at one point, but had to be scrapped because they represented something like 10-15% of the total memory budget. The man's a compulsive bullshitter; he just endlessly spouts stuff he considers exciting with no regard for whether he can actually deliver on it (see also: Milo and Kate).

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
The biggest reason was that the game was largely unfinished. I suspect that sudden timeskip to the final battle wasn't there by poor design but because they didn't finish the King aspect of the game. The world also felt a lot smaller rather then bigger in comparison to its predecessor. Albion had two town and Aurora had only one. That's 3 town's for two continents, the first two games both had at least four and that was in Albion alone(not counting the expansion)

The morality system was also fucked up. The good and evil choices being a choice between angelic and baby eating had always been corny but i found it to be part of Fables charm. Fable III didn't really have a morality system for the first half and when you do get one it doesn't make any sense..

I don't recall a single decisions before taking the throne and once you were king you could choose between saving money so you could raise an army to save the world (good) or squandering that money to become popular (evil) (Or just break the game with the landlord system) but because what remained of the morality system was poorly implented the former gave you evil points and the later good points. Its kinda messed up how actively taking measures to save the world counts as more evil then wasting money to make people feel good for a year while it could be spend on preventing them from getting eaten.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
Fable 3 continued the proud tradition started in Fable 2 of taking whatever I had liked about the previous game and extracting it with a hacksaw.

...also, I'd just like to ask - in a series that is ostensibly all about choice, why are we never given the choice to shoot Reaver in the face? Man, I hated that guy. He was the worst. But no. Despite the fact that he's a known double-crossing team killer, and has personally tried to kill you, you *have to* have him as an adviser. Why? I'm the King. Why can't I just kill him? Or, failing that, because I don't know what all his super-youth powers involve, at least have him locked in a cell somewhere.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
nevarran said:
1. It's not on one of the two big consoles.
2. People are angry at Molyneux for promising big and then failing to deliver (and he was developing exclusively for one of the consoles).

That all the ingredients you need for a good old hate recipe.
Wait, the 360 and PS3 were the big consoles at the time. Any release that mattered would be on the 360 and/or PS3, and Fable 3 was.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
What can i say...it has an achievement for finishing the game without dying and i got it first attempt without even trying...piss poor, piss easy and ultimately pointless. I like games with challenge and this has absolutely no challenge.

I don't hate it though...it was more like the walking dead game. You do nothing but watch the story unfold with barely any interaction at all *shrugs* Just another modern game doing what modern games do best...nothing :p

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Here's a thread I made when it first came out: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.242016-God-I-hope-Molyneux-reads-this

It's a bit poorly written, but in each section you can see comparisons to how everything is strictly less or less varied than previous games, and how the added features weren't that great either.
It wasn't horrible. As a stand alone it just comes across as flawed. As part of the series, it follows a pattern of decline.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well some people have a set of standards for games, and Fable 3 went far below many peoples standards.
And this is a game by the company who already made 2 far better ones in the series...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I certainly didn't like it.

Not that I was expecting much, but it was like buying a picture book thinking I'd get some nice looking photographs, and then finding out it's filled with a bunch of finger paintings by a 4-year old.

20 minutes was enough.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I haven't played much of the fable series, but I heard that 3 was disliked because it had a mediocre story. My brother loved all three games though. I still need to play two and three all the way through.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Evonisia said:
nevarran said:
Wait, the 360 and PS3 were the big consoles at the time. Any release that mattered would be on the 360 and/or PS3, and Fable 3 was.
NOT - ON - ONE - OF THE TWO BIG CONSOLES
Fable 3 is NOT - ON - PS3(one of the two big consoles).
PM me is you need further explanation ;)

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
nevarran said:
Evonisia said:
nevarran said:
NOT - ON - ONE - OF THE TWO BIG CONSOLES
Fable 3 is NOT - ON - PS3(one of the two big consoles).
PM me is you need further explanation ;)
Uncharted and GOW wasn't on one of the big consoles, the 360 if you'd like to go with that example.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Uncharted and GOW wasn't on one of the big consoles, the 360 if you'd like to go with that example.
And so what, XBots don't hate on those? Are you kidding me?

Fanboys hate on everything that's not on their console of choice/worship. That was my "point 1".

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
TheYellowCellPhone said:

It's not that challenging, it doesn't add much to the table, and it was just... messy to play.
Yep, that video sums it up pretty nicely. Though the thing I hated the most about it was the dog's retarded as fuck AI. Otherwise the game wasn't that terrible in my opinion, but I'm not in any hurry to ever play it again.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Overall I didn't find it to be very good, however I thought the villain (the crawler) was VERY effective. The segment where he first shows up and you barely escape him and the whole time he's fucking with your sight and SCREAMING in your ear made him feel like a very dominating, evil, and downright Lovecraftian monster.

Then when you actually fight him he just possesses your mentor and fights you inside him. I mean, sure it sucks that you have to fight your mentor but it was hardly the grand scale battle I was expecting after that horror show of an introduction. Still, I like to give props where I think they are deserved and the crawler's introductory level is easily one of the most memorable moments in games for me.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
I didn't find Fable III bad so much as incredibly average in nearly every possible respect. Voice acting was average, combat was average, magic system was broken, economy was completely broken.

The whole after becoming king thing was basically a ham handed attempt at showcasing militarization vs social services. But it was incredibly poorly done to the point of unintentional satire. The way your adviser giggles like an idiot at the suggestion you fund a school out of your own pocket just really got old the first time, let alone every time. But none of it matters because all you really need to do is buy up every shop and house in the game and let it run over night, you will be swimming in so much gold by morning that the whole need/greed thing is compromised.

Even without that the moral lesson appears to be tear down the orphanage and turn it into a sweatshop or watch your nation burn. It's never that simple, or cut and dry but that is how it's presented.

the only saving grace was the villain who was actually pretty neat. The only part of this game that was above average.

it did not generate the same bile as ME 3 but it was nowhere near as good a game as ME 3 which aside from the last 1/3 was well above average.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
game was so forgetable that i remember literally nothing.
reading these posts i just have a vague flash back that i rushed through the game then discovered i needed a shit load of cash to get the "good ending"
whats that didn't realize the point of the game was to have a shit load of cash lying round?
"fuck you"
*middle finger*
/cheat engine

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Having played all the Fables, as a series they just got dumber and dumber. Also they spent more time adding pointless stuff instead fixing and improving the parts fans said needed fixed/improved. I love the world of Fable and hope they make a great rpg out of it now molly has moved on. An open world game similar to Skyrim, more enemies and a deeper rpg/fighting system. An take out all the lame farting etc rubbish.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
To much choice in life can stop you in your tracks. But the binary Good or evil choices in the late game we're weak. So you made promises and you now had to keep them. Or not..

But in the end did you care about the people in the game? Not really so your choices didn't matter. You could try to be a great king and have allot of money so you could win the game and then reality would hit you. It was boring you to death.

You could be a jerk and well again you would be bored because in the end it didn't matter. It tried to tell a story in a rather ineffective way leading to a pretty mediocre end.

Worst stays the false choice. There are no choices in fable 3. There is a black and white button. There is no grey and in the end if you let so many people die you still would just find nothing much changed. Just less people on the screen. This is hitting me more and more it isn't just fable. So many games offer you "choice" but there is no real difference in the end.

But yeah Fable 3 was just even less that made Fable so good. Fable wasn't that good actually but it was different and quirky. It had fun to offer yet it wasn't that deep really. The newer fables just got shallower. And hence here we are at the point that "Fable: The Journey" is a game. Seriously you do nothing but at times make 'choices'

You know we need more good old fashioned games where a choice makes someone really hate you. Where closing one side closes down a whole chain of game content.

Fable 4. Will there even be choice left?